Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned about Energy and Complications

Hello everyone. I'll be having my sleeve surgery in August. I'm concerned about low energy and the horror stories I've been reading on the complications forum. I'm so worried I'll have complications and no energy according to some of the posts I've read. I'm a healthy 62 year old woman but I've had issues in the past from a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. It subsequently lead to 3 more hernia repair surgeries. I do want the sleeve so I can have a good quality of life in my golden years, and not sit around and end up in a wheelchair because of my weight. I weigh 237 now, started at 243. Weight just sticks to me. So I'm motivated but fearful. I suppose I need to stay away from the complications forum all together.

Any thoughts? I sure could use some positive vibes about now. Thank you to all.

I had the sleeve 3 yrs ago at 67. I've lost 27 lbs and since then I'm stuck. The sleeve is not a cure all. I've have to take a Prilosec for acid indigestion everyday for life which is a side effect of the sleeve that almost everyone gets and also Constipation. You can gain back any weight you've lost w/the sleeve and then some. My energy is about the same. Some days I have more than others. I think getting older slows us down and living in a hot region plays a part.

It sounds like your unsure about this and since you've lost weight on your own I'd suggest doing your diet or The Whole 30, go to Tops or just eat vegs, Protein and fruit to loose weight. If you have complications with surgery before your best bet might be to wait and loose the weight on your own. Once you do this there is no going back. If you don't have major medical problems that need you to loose weight then wait. So if in doubt......don't. It has been a life saver for many and for others a big problem as you've read. Would I do it again? I really don't know. I had a highly rated surgeon which makes a difference.

I wish you luck on what ever you decide to do.

Edited by Sherry S

I had the sleeve 3 yrs ago at 67. I've lost 27 lbs and since then I'm stuck. The sleeve is not a cure all. I've have to take a Prilosec for acid indigestion everyday for life which is a side effect of the sleeve that almost everyone gets and also Constipation. You can gain back any weight you've lost w/the sleeve and then some. My energy is about the same. Some days I have more than others. I think getting older slows us down and living in a hot region plays a part.
It sounds like your unsure about this and since you've lost weight on your own I'd suggest doing your diet or The Whole 30, go to Tops or just eat vegs, Protein and fruit to loose weight. If you have complications with surgery before your best bet might be to wait and loose the weight on your own. Once you do this there is no going back. If you don't have major medical problems that need you to loose weight then wait. So if in doubt......don't. It has been a life saver for many and for others a big problem as you've read. Would I do it again? I really don't know. I had a highly rated surgeon which makes a difference.
I wish you luck on what ever you decide to do.

Thank you! I've high BP and high cholesterol. I'm so glad for your response. I'm just plain afraid. I already take omeprazole daily because of GERD and I tend towards constipation. I'm afraid of regrets. I've some heavy things to weigh out and see how the scale balances. I so appreciate your response. Blessings and Peace!

My BP has been normal since surgery but then it wasn't that bad before. Like I said if in doubt don't. You can loose the weight w/o the surgery. It will be hard but if you've lost it before you can do it now but it's tough. The sleeve takes out most of your stomach which can cause issues in some people. Your health both mental and physical is the important thing. If your afraid then I'd say don't do it at this time. If your healthy and doing well loose the weight by yourself. TOPS is a great support group and reasonable about $42 a yr for national and $4 a month for local support group. Check it out. Their eating plan works.

I doubt you'll get many responses for people don't seem to stay on the group after their surgery. Life gets in the way I guess.

Good luck and Blessings to you too.

My energy increased after surgery, which was in 2009. I lost 83 pounds, regained 30, and I have now lost 13 of that. I lost the 83 in 5 months and then just quit losing. I still have a lot more energy than when I was at my heaviest. My sleeve is my tool and I am using it now to start losing again. Im healthier now than anytime since about 1990. I'm 63 and I can do things that my friends can't, like work out at the gym for an hour or go on an all day shopping trip. I love my sleeve and have no regrets

Everybody worries before surgery. For me it's the best thing I've ever done.
Start weight 240 ,now 9 months out 171. I look and feel great. Yes, low energy for 6 weeks - not eating much and recuperating from surgery, but wow, you should see me go now. Yes, I count calories and am vigilant about what I eat, but it's worth it. When I get off course with the eating, which I occasionally do, I jump back on course the next day. Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-T550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Everyone worries about the same things when facing surgery, I worried nonstop about total knee replacement, hated the thought of cutting off my bones and getting plastic and titanium parts - But I hated falling from a buckling knee worse. I had TKR and it's been great. I can square dance, and hike but this weight makes it harder.

How terrible does being fat feel, how will your health be in 10 years - will you be fatter, have heart disease, diabetes ???- who knows. I know keeping this weight will increase those odds. I have lost 70, 30, 40 pounds over and over on weight watchers and gain back to around 230 and then go on a diet and lose 40, 30, 70 again. I am tired of that and seeking surgery - yes it's drastic but the odds of keeping the weight off will be much greater with the surgery and I want those odds.

I had GERD before WLS so my surgeon said I was not a good candidate for VSG. I trusted his expertise and had gastric bypass surgery. I'm doing very well getting used to my new lifestyle and am losing weight. I've had no complications and my energy is better. The biggest challenge will be after years 2-3 when my new stomach/tool is less effective and I have to be diligent to not slide back into old behaviors, which could lead to regain. Therefore I must work on my head space and relationship with food before then. I'm learning so much on how to develop and maintain good habits from the veterans on this site!

My energy increased after surgery, which was in 2009. I lost 83 pounds, regained 30, and I have now lost 13 of that. I lost the 83 in 5 months and then just quit losing. I still have a lot more energy than when I was at my heaviest. My sleeve is my tool and I am using it now to start losing again. Im healthier now than anytime since about 1990. I'm 63 and I can do things that my friends can't, like work out at the gym for an hour or go on an all day shopping trip. I love my sleeve and have no regrets
[/quot

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so happy for you and your success! It's so good to hear the successes instead of the complications. Thank you again! I appreciate and respect all replies and the worthiness of everyone's experience.

Everyone worries about the same things when facing surgery, I worried nonstop about total knee replacement, hated the thought of cutting off my bones and getting plastic and titanium parts - But I hated falling from a buckling knee worse. I had TKR and it's been great. I can square dance, and hike but this weight makes it harder.
How terrible does being fat feel, how will your health be in 10 years - will you be fatter, have heart disease, diabetes ???- who knows. I know keeping this weight will increase those odds. I have lost 70, 30, 40 pounds over and over on weight watchers and gain back to around 230 and then go on a diet and lose 40, 30, 70 again. I am tired of that and seeking surgery - yes it's drastic but the odds of keeping the weight off will be much greater with the surgery and I want those odds.

Extremely good thoughts in your reply, thank you. What will I be like in 10 years w/out the sleeve? Good point. I'll be overweight, obese, hurting and like you said possibly heart disease/diabetes. I appreciate that your reply made me think. Thank you!

I literally thought about surgery like a game of russian roulette. There is a gun with 20 chambers and 1 bullet. The bullet probably wouldn't kill me, but would make me worse off. The other 19 chambers contain a variety of "better off" scenarios.

3 months post op, and I'm doing much better than before. Better blood pressure, lower cholesterol, 55lbs lighter, happier, etc.

We can't promise you won't get the "bullet". But we can say that you have a good chance of being better off... particularly if you are willing to change WHAT you eat, not just how much.

As for the acid issue, it IS frequently a reason to consider bypass. Discuss that with your surgeon.

On March 13th, a month before my 66th birthday, I had the sleeve done along with a hiatal hernia repair and removal of my gall bladder. I feel great and had no complications, there was minimal pain, no nausea, I have never vomited and was up and around right away. I opted not to take narcotic pain medication so I could be up and walking and I did fine.

I had no preexisting comorbidities and my post op lab work if fine with the exception of low Iron. Everyone's experience is different but in my opinion age has not as much impact as some people think....

I am down 84 pounds... 32 in the couple of months waiting for the surgery and 52 since March 13 after the surgery. I have also not experienced and stall in weight loss, but I understand it does happen... I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Everyone gets nervous, I even second guessed myself right before I went into the operating room. The day after surgery I also said "what did I di to myself"... however that quickly passes and every day it gets a little better

I have no regrets...I'm 60 and it did take about 4 weeks before I got my energy back and right side pain to fade. Right at the hospital I started walking and have done so everyday...I'm hiking now. I never to pain mess once I got home...just liquid Tylenol a few times. No reflux and no troubles getting my fluids in and my Protein and vitamins...I am almost 75 lbs down...the best thing I did for myself, my family and my retirement...I wish the same for all of you

On 6/21/2017 at 9:54 AM, Vivian Krueget said:

Hello everyone. I'll be having my sleeve surgery in August. I'm concerned about low energy and the horror stories I've been reading on the complications forum. I'm so worried I'll have complications and no energy according to some of the posts I've read. I'm a healthy 62 year old woman but I've had issues in the past from a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. It subsequently lead to 3 more hernia repair surgeries. I do want the sleeve so I can have a good quality of life in my golden years, and not sit around and end up in a wheelchair because of my weight. I weigh 237 now, started at 243. Weight just sticks to me. So I'm motivated but fearful. I suppose I need to stay away from the complications forum all together.

Any thoughts? I sure could use some positive vibes about now. Thank you to all.

We should stay from the complications forum. The more you read about them, the more inclined you become certain that they are the "norm." Read about all of the success people are having and make that your reality. That's what I plan to do..