Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone tell me what prescriptions are prescribed post op gastric bypass?

I read about the bloodclot&gallstone preventative med or injections. Please give me the details. Does everyone have to do the injections post op? What are the names of the prescriptions your doctor prescribed for you? I want to make sure I get all the information about this to protect my health and prevent problems

I read about the bloodclot&gallstone preventative med or injections. Please give me the details. Does everyone have to do the injections post op? What are the names of the prescriptions your doctor prescribed for you? I want to make sure I get all the information about this to protect my health and prevent problems

My surgery is 6/21 and I got my scripts prior to this. I'm going to be on Lovenox for 3 weeks post op due to having blood clots in my lungs a couple years ago. I will also have Tylenol #3 liquid, Zofran, and Prilosec. I also have to take Vitamins and supplements.< br>

My surgery is 6/21 and I got my scripts prior to this. I'm going to be on Lovenox for 3 weeks post op due to having blood clots in my lungs a couple years ago. I will also have Tylenol #3 liquid, Zofran, and Prilosec. I also have to take Vitamins and supplements.< br>

Well Good luck to you. Next week is your day! So they give you prescriptions before the surgery. Thats a good thing. My surgery is on July 17. My last surgical visit is July 7. Do the injections look hard to use? Will they show you how to use them?

There were only a few prescription drugs after surgery.

The key one is Lovenox [Enoxaparin], which is to help prevent blood clots. This I self injected. Generally I pinched the flesh near my stomach and put the needle into it. This medicine period was rather short, about a week and a half.

Another prescription was for Carafate. This medication is used to treat and prevent ulcers in the intestines. it is a chalky liquid that comes in large bottles that you swallow twice a day

It may be beneficial to obtain a script for the above 2 medicines prior to surgery, because some local pharmacies do not keep one of these in their normal stock.

The other prescription medicine that I was given was a proton-pump inhibitor called Omeprazole (or over the counter Prilosec). This I took the first year after surgery to let my stomach heal.

There are also a variety of Vitamins that you will need to take. Most of these are over the counter. But after surgery, I took an injectable form of B12 Vitamin. The injectable form required a prescription. But injecting myself with this was more pain than it was worth. I had my wife inject this into my arm daily. But I noticed she turned her head just before she poked in the needle. So after the first month I transitioned to sublingual B12 which I found much easier to use and it was over the counter.

Then there is prescription pain medicine. I took no pain medicine after I left the operating room. I didn't need to because the pain levels were very low.

Well Good luck to you. Next week is your day! So they give you prescriptions before the surgery. Thats a good thing. My surgery is on July 17. My last surgical visit is July 7. Do the injections look hard to use? Will they show you how to use them?

The lovenox injections aren't difficult to administer and your nurses at the hospital will teach you how to do it. If you're nervous, ask them to watch you while you give yourself a shot in the hospital. That way you get to practice but still have someone there to help if you need reassurance. Good luck!

Wow thank you for all of this information! I appreciate it!

Sent from my LG-H811 using BariatricPal mobile app

The injections are prefilled and one use per syringe. They are very easy to use.

Lovenox injections are the blood clot preventative, but the only reason I will be on them post op is bc I have had a PE ( pulmonary Embolism) last October from shoulder surgery. I have never heard anything about a gallstone preventative. I hope this helps some[emoji3] My surgery is 6/21/17, next Wednesday (RNY)

After surgery i had pain drugs which i took for 3 or 4 days.
I was also given an anti nausea medication which I took for just over a week.
I also have the acid reflux drugs which I'll take for at least 90 days.
I also got ursodial to prevent gallstones. I'll take that for about 6 months. (I'm the only one in my immediate family with a gallbladder. We did an ultrasound and there was no signs of gallstones so we left it in).

No shots to take home.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

RN here n I had rny 5/23 and we never send ppl home with lovenox. We use heparin while in the hospital only.

I was sent home with two weeks of lovenox. Well I got it three days before surgery but it simple and no pain at all. Not all people get it though, totally up to your surgeon.

The prescription I got before surgery was Zantac. The pain med I got after surgery was Codeine. Earlier this month I took something called Zofran for my nausea. Those lasted a little over a week. I did get Heparin while I was in the hospital but I also had to wear them things that squeeze your legs to help with blood clots. I'm still on Zantac. They gave me three refills on it and they gave me a lot to take. I also get B12 injections. Those started this month.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 197
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

RN here n I had rny 5/23 and we never send ppl home with lovenox. We use heparin while in the hospital only.

RN too and I was sent home on a 14 day course of Lovenox after my sleeve. It was standard for my surgery center. Funny how different each practice is!

I was only sent home with omeprazole (PPI). I didn't need pain or nausea medicine. I was in the hospital for 3 days and used a pneumatic compression system while in-patient to reduce DVT risk, plus I walked around a bunch.