Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCP won't write me a letter of necessity

PCP won't write me a letter, she doesn't agree with surgery. Has anyone dealt with this? I know I need a new doctor but I don't think a new doctor will just write me the letter because I am a new patient.

What part of surgery does this 'Dr.' not agree with? Is it a philosophical I hate WLS issue or do they think you don't weigh enough to go that route yet?

What part of surgery does this 'Dr.' not agree with? Is it a philosophical I hate WLS issue or do they think you don't weigh enough to go that route yet?

They don't agree with surgery in general because with my insurance you just need to be 40 BMI. I'm going to call my surgeon later and see what the office says.

Even if your surgeon is able to do the letter of necessity for insurance and bypass your PCP I would still encourage you to find a new provider. Post-op, it'll be important to have someone who knows how to manage WLS patients and a physician who "doesn't agree with surgery" sounds misinformed and behind the times. Best of luck!

1 hour ago, rachel_babe said:

They don't agree with surgery in general because with my insurance you just need to be 40 BMI. I'm going to call my surgeon later and see what the office says.

Yeah, unfortunately the best I can say is to find a better PCP. It is complete bullshit that they don't believe in surgery. Quite honestly I would have flipped out on them, but your time is better spent finding a positive PCP than mucking about with your current one. Sad that some 'doctors' are that shitty.

Ask your surgeon to recommend a PCP. They will have one that works with their patients.

My PCP didn't have one either, luckily my Bariatric Program did so I switched.

Sorry you are dealing with this. I had issues with my PCP office, too. She didn't know anything about weight loss surgery and it was a challenge (and stress) to deal with. She eventually wrote me a letter (somewhat inaccurate), and I was denied. I ended up paying out of pocket, and will be getting a new PCP very soon!

If you go to an endocrinologist a gyno or a cardiologist or a pulmonary they usually will give the clearance for surgery in most cases they are considered a primary care dr talk to any or all see if you can get it that way

I started on this trek in 2012. Without any co-morbidity conditions, you have to have a BMI of 40. If you have heart disease or diabetes or any other co-morbidity disorder or disease then you will become a candidate earlier - at 35.

If you only need to lose 40-60 pounds then perhaps you could talk them into a lap band or balloon. Also, you will probably be required to go through a 4- 6 months medically supervised diet before qualifying. So for the next four to six months, have an appointment monthly with your physician where you talk about nothing but the weight you are and weight loss. Ask him/her to document this in your medical records. At the end of 6 months, sign a release of medical records at the surgeon's office and they will see in your medical records that you have spent 4-6 months trying to lose weight and you have not succeeded.