Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Dumping Syndrome, Batman!

I am lucky enough to have a friend that had the sleeve and another who had bypass and was the one that really is my inspiration to finally see his doctor and I am so grateful for them! Buyers remorse is said to be somewhat normal, especially when your first in the hospital and feeling pain. How are you feeling about it now that your home and working through the stages??

Now that I have been home it's better. I have been having an issue with Protein Shakes though and that was scary. We haven't determined if I have an issue with whey or lactose but either way I have tried multiple brands, multiple types of Protein, different ways to prepare it I.e blended,milk, Water and after literally the first drink hits my stomach I'm doubled over in pain. I didn't take a single pain pill since the day before I left the hospital, I have been good not even really sore, but my husband finally convinced me to take one Friday because I was doubled over in pain crying, and sweating with chills. My first thought was am I dumping off a zero fat zero sugar Protein Shake? Then my next thought was do I have a structure or blockage? But I literally can drink everything else, eat yogurt, and creamed Soups. After Talking with the dr they took me off protein shakes and told me to attempt to advance my diet a few days early. So since Friday I have been on blended/mashed foods and it's going well! eggs never tasted so good ha ha! I mean I still have a little bit of the "what the hell did I do?" But I think as I can get in a more normal routine especially with my family and meals it will make all the difference. It's a good motivator though that I have lost 17lbs since the Friday before my surgery! Tomorrow is 2 weeks. I know that it's most drastic at first and thats fine but it's just amazing to me. I also have a good friend that had the surgery about 6 years ago and she has done amazing things! She motivated me for sure.

Yes, I've had that and it's not dumping but maybe food stuck. It hurt like hell and I thought I was going to have a heart attack or faint.

@mrsroyaleIt sounds like you had something called foamies. I have had 3 of them, and they are so freaking painful.

Hope this helps a little.

A few answers copied from another threads.

"Foamies" are when you vomit up part of your meal (a nasty saliva foamy mix). It happens if you eat too much, eat too fast, or don't chew well enough. Foamies result when your stoma becomes blocked and the body's natural reaction is to produce a slimy foam liquid and copious amounts of it.

After you experience this once or twice, you tend to detect the warning signs and stop before you get to this stage."

" You can avoid them by taking small bites, chew-chew-chew, eat slowly, measure small portions and stick to them, and avoid dry food "

" It hurt right in the center of my chest and I started to get juicy jaws (when saliva starts pouring) "

Yes!!! That's exactly what it was! Worst experience of my life! I learned my lesson quickly, that's for sure! I only experienced it once more, which was yesterday, but I recognized the symptoms quickly so I stopped before it got too bad... Never again... This IS a learning process, isn't it?

If anyone knows of another app, I too would switch! I asked a question recently about having a few sips of wine at my wedding in a month (I'd be 4 months post op) and you would have thought I asked about politics! I got a few people making polite suggestions but others just ripped into me about how stupid I am for even asking this!!

I came here for support and answers to questions I am curious about but aren't worthy of a call to the doctor and would like to help others the same way!! Feel free to message me if you'd like...I'm not a genius but I'd like to think my experience can help others [emoji846][emoji846]

I had my first close encounter with dumping syndrome today. For those who have never experienced it, let me warn you... Nothing, no amount of literature, absolutely nothing prepares you for the sheer horror that is dumping syndrome. Worst part is that there's nothing you can do about it, you just have to ride it out on your own... The pain, the tears... Wow... I was not expecting it!

I'm sorry you had to go through this [emoji20] feeling better now?

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

Oh it was horrific. I just had another round of vomiting and it was not fun at all! I don't ever want to experience this again!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

@Melissa315, I am sorry you were attacked for asking a question about having some wine at your wedding. Unfortunately that is one of the hot buttons here.

Of course your doctor is your best source for an answer. Everyone tolerates wine and alcohol differently. I am almost 5 years out, and my stomach will not tolerate either. Even a sip burns so badly it feels like a knife sticking me.

Please don't give up on the group; it does have many answers. Please feel free to private message me for any questions. I'm not sure what surgery you had--I had the sleeve. No matter what WLS you had the problems and questions exist for all of us. Best wishes in your journey. Don't hesitate to contact me. [emoji3][emoji780] [emoji736]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh it was horrific. I just had another round of vomiting and it was not fun at all! I don't ever want to experience this again!

Sent from my SM-G920V using [mention=319983]Melissa315[/mention], I am sorry you were attacked for asking a question about having some wine at your wedding. Unfortunately that is one of the hot buttons here.

Of course your doctor is your best source for an answer. Everyone tolerates wine and alcohol differently. I am almost 5 years out, and my stomach will not tolerate either. Even a sip burns so badly it feels like a knife sticking me.

Please don't give up on the group; it does have many answers. Please feel free to private message me for any questions. I'm not sure what surgery you had--I had the sleeve. No matter what WLS you had the problems and questions exist for all of us. Best wishes in your journey. Don't hesitate to contact me. [emoji3][emoji780] [emoji736]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks, I actually talked to my doctor today at my 3 month post op appointment and was happy to be told I could give it a shot without a problem. He is supportive of wine as long as it is drank with caution. I am going to try a few different types out at home and see what happens and then make my decision!

Thanks, I actually talked to my doctor today at my 3 month post op appointment and was happy to be told I could give it a shot without a problem. He is supportive of wine as long as it is drank with caution. I am going to try a few different types out at home and see what happens and then make my decision!

No judgement here I love my wine and vodka!! From my experience I started drinking around 6-8months. Just be careful cause you don't want to dump. I had a vodka cooler once before my 1 year was up and it was embarrassing cause was at a social event. Bent over with cramps and running to bathroom. See if wine okay for you but that first year dumping can happen and it's like wth caused that?!! I went on a girls trip 4 months post op and didn't drink - it was hell!! But it's only a few months. Also you'll feel the alcohol very quickly I always have to eat and drink or I'll be under the table. And if I remember correctly we're supposed to be holding off on drinking with meals for the first few months....as that can also lead to dumping. Good luck it does get easier with time and as your body heals!

No judgement here I love my wine and vodka!! From my experience I started drinking around 6-8months. Just be careful cause you don't want to dump. I had a vodka cooler once before my 1 year was up and it was embarrassing cause was at a social event. Bent over with cramps and running to bathroom. See if wine okay for you but that first year dumping can happen and it's like wth caused that?!! I went on a girls trip 4 months post op and didn't drink - it was hell!! But it's only a few months. Also you'll feel the alcohol very quickly I always have to eat and drink or I'll be under the table. And if I remember correctly we're supposed to be holding off on drinking with meals for the first few months....as that can also lead to dumping. Good luck it does get easier with time and as your body heals!

I have been EXTREMELY lucky! I've dealt with "foamies" a few times and dumping one time which was brought on by chicken cooked in butter! My goal is to try a few sips of my favorite organic super fruit wine and then another night try a few sips of some crown royal (my go to before surgery) and then make a judgement call on how it makes me feel before the wedding. Wouldn't want to experience dumping on my big day!!

It happens quickly with dumping... the cramping and then needing to go to bathroom. I'd say within 15 mins of eating or drinking something high in sugar. I never had it from too fatty a food but from high sugar and also sucralose was worse and that is a sweetener.

Doctor told me sweat, nausea, dizziness, hearting racing and a general feeling bad are all part of dumping. Some symptoms are more extreme than others depending on what you eat, but its all concerned dumping syndrome. Every time I eat Cereal and milk I feel bad, start sweating, feel dizzy and have to lay down.

Yes!!! That's exactly what it was! Worst experience of my life! I learned my lesson quickly, that's for sure! I only experienced it once more, which was yesterday, but I recognized the symptoms quickly so I stopped before it got too bad... Never again... This IS a learning process, isn't it?

How long does it last? I'm having the foamie issue right now?

I have been EXTREMELY lucky! I've dealt with "foamies" a few times and dumping one time which was brought on by chicken cooked in butter! My goal is to try a few sips of my favorite organic super fruit wine and then another night try a few sips of some crown royal (my go to before surgery) and then make a judgement call on how it makes me feel before the wedding. Wouldn't want to experience dumping on my big day!!

How long does it last? I'm having the foamie issue right now and have been throwing up a little as well.

For me it lasted about 45 minutes...Once I vonited it, it was gone. I had a minor foamie aabout 2-3 hours after the first one and, again, once I vomited, it was gone.