Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical professionals....Please look at my incision

I am 12 days post op and this is what my incision looks like. It's not even close to closing up and its all gooey looking. I put some new steri strips on it but I have not used any type of medication on it because they originally told me not to. I am also keeping it covered with gauze. I have emailed a picture to my surgeons office but I think he is on vacation right now. Does this look bad? Do I need to go see my regular dr about it? Thanks.

post-219285-13813135587917_thumb.jpg

It looks like its healing from the inside out but when in doubt, have your regular doc check it. It does look gooey, doesn't it?

If I were you I would just put steri strips back on it and let it heal on its own until you hear back from your doctor. If the doc does not call you back go to a med center or to the ER. I would not put anything on top of it like gauze because it stops it from healing properly. You need to let air get to it as it aids in the healing process. The puss will heal up and turn that color scab, but don't pick it. The hard surface on top serves as a protective barrier. Just put a couple steri strips back on for now. I would not even put and liquids on it either. If it starts to look green on color then I would get in right away. Just take a shower as usual and applay the new steri strips. A sign of infection is the color change of the site and if you start to have a fever. Keep an eye for those things until the doc calls you back.

Good luck

Caramel

Mandi,

Is the area hot to the touch? It looks really sore. If it's hot to the touch, has a funny smell,or you have a fever, go directly to the ER. The worse thing you can do is let something like that go because it could become much worse in a short period of time. I'm not a medical professional but my sister is a nurse so I showed her the picture to get her opinion.

Whatever you decide to, I wish you the best and I hope you heal quickly!

Jenn

Hi,

As long as it is not hot to touch or foul smelling, don't get too worried, but definantly make an appointment to go have it looked at. It could potentially turn into an abcess and get bad quickly. I am a nurse and I don't think it should look like that, especially 12 days out of surgery. I don't want to worry you, but if I had a patient with an incision that looked like this I would not consider it a normal finding-I would be culturing it and definantly dressing it. And again, if it starts to smell foul, run, don't walk to the ER or your surgeon and make sure they do a culture of the discharge. Covering it with gauze is not going to hurt it, it will protect it from getting any new cooties in it and absorb the discharge so it doesn't get on your clothes. You can also go to the drugstore and buy a dressing called Telfa. It is a nonstick dressing that will help absorb the discharge. Just tape it on loosely with some paper tape. But, gauze will work just as well and let air get to the site, and it is cheaper. Hope this helps!:o

I will chime in and say that the hallmarks of infection are heat, redness, swelling, soreness, cloudy or greenish and/or very foul-smelling discharge, fever.

But at 12+ days post-op I would be in my PCP's office having it looked at at the very least. If your surgeon can't look at it for some reason, your PCP should. Possibly it is a seroma (did I mention this in response to you on another thread-I can't remember), which does happen to us frequently. Treatment for seromas is to let it drain. Many docs suggest warm compresses on the area a few times a day as well.

I think the most important thing is to get one of your MD's to look at it. It may need to be cultured, maybe not. But go to your doctor, and then update us, okay?

I would add that I would not suggest you closing the incision itself back up with anything until a doc looks at it. It obviously needs to drain. I like the suggestion of gauze on it. I would not leave it completely open to air. That allows things to get in that you may not want in there.

Well, I went to my PCP this morning and she said my incision looks fine. I had taken the steri strips off and just put a bandage over it and all the gooeyness and wetness dried up almost immediately and by the time she looked at it, it was dry and it looks like a layer of skin has formed over it. She said was not infected and while there may be a bigger scar than I would like because it is taking longer to close up, she said it is healing and it looks good. She said to just keep washing it with soap and Water and keep it clean and dry. She said I could leave it open, but I'm not comfortable doing that so I'm going to keep a bandage over it. Thanks for all the replies and advice. I feel better about it now.

My guess is it was a seroma. Fat dissolving, basically.

When it is fully closed, to keep it soft and minimize it's appearance, use whatever works best for you for scars. Some people prefer pure cocoa butter, some prefer Vitamin E, some swear by Mederma. I use a combo Cocoa Butter/vitamin E product I got a Walmart.< /p>

Go to the Doctor TODAY if you haven't done so already.

You don't want to screw around with an infection...

GO TO THE DOCTOR TODAY......

IndigoGirl, the OP posted just above my post that she saw the doc this morning and it is fine, closing well.

But I certainly agree with on principle, if in doubt about anything like an infection, do not substitute help on a board (though I understood why Mandi78 came here, she couldn't get ahold of her surgeon at the time) for an MD's advice.

IndigoGirl, the OP posted just above my post that she saw the doc this morning and it is fine, closing well.

But I certainly agree with on principle, if in doubt about anything like an infection, do not substitute help on a board (though I understood why Mandi78 came here, she couldn't get ahold of her surgeon at the time) for an MD's advice.

I guess i didn't read down far enought or hadn't refreshed.. Glad everything is ok.

If it were me - I would be at the immediate care if my doc was on vacation. I wouldn't be posting here asking questions - Don't get me wrong I love everyone here but when it comes to stuff like that I want a real doc's opinion - My GD has MRSA and they look harmless - parents thought it was diaper rash and my dil is a nurse. I told dil i thought it was mrsa - but it took her a long time to take gd to doc and get it tested - guess what - she had mrsa.. My son got it - on his face ended up in the ER in major pain and half his face swollen...

It is so prevelent now adays and very dangerous - I disenfected my house prior to surgery and didn't see GD while i was healing.. Love her dearly but I don't want mrsa... I error on the side of caution. jmho