Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 minutes ago, BigUtahMan said:

I am surprised reading the many comments in direct conflict with this post. It is my experience it is what we should all be working towards. Eating "what your want, when you want" does not mean binge without consequence, rather it means listening to your body and trust it to tell you what you need or want when and how much. Our bodies have amazing and complex feedback loops, but all of us spent years ignoring them and eating for emotional reasons, not physical ones. Relearning to listen and to trust your feedback loops is the ideal state of being. A constant diet mentality with or without surgery is not healthy or ideal, and statistically speaking won't work. I also realize learning to listen to your feedback loops and not your emotions is a difficult transition that should not be attempted when in the weight loss phase, but to maintain that phase I think it is essential.

My post wasn't that people shouldn't aim to eat this way; it was that many people can't eat this way. But I do appreciate the fact that you said that in shouldn't be attempted in the weight loss phase. That's why I posted to begin with. People who are already posting about making reckless decisions regarding what they eat and drink in the days and weeks post-op are going to read this "listen to my body" stuff, and go out, listen to their body, eat a bunch of crap, and come back on here whining about why they haven't lost any weight.

If people are going to conquer their food demons and get their head right, yea, this could work. But what percentage of posters on here are doing that based on the things that they write every day?

Many of us veterans still work on balance of food and exercise in proportion to where we are and want to be on the scale!!

DAILY

it can not be lackadaisical for me. Even after 10 successful years.

Best luck to us all going thru life

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I would say if you are making a conscious decision to eat healthy or choose the right foods then you are not exactly eating in the way the op was explaining intuitive eating to be.

to be honest I know nothing about intuitive eating. I haven't researched it or really heard of this style before. However, the way the op explained it just seems like a recipe for disaster for many of the people here working on food addiction.

If it works well for some people then that is great. I definitely don't think one plan fits all.

But I don't think if you monitor your macros or portions you are being excessive or remaining on a diet. I think it helps me to remain aware so that i don't mindlessly over eat or choose the wrong foods. I don't feel like this is a diet. I am treating this as a lifestyle change.

It works for her and for what she's gone through and how she maintains, I'm happy for her. Doesn't mean it'll work for everyone, like so many others have said and I do agree with that. I do believe it'll work for me as well. Thus I choose my words carefully and insert "for me" many times over in all of my posts, when I know many of my beliefs are going against the flow. I don't have a food addiction, never have (I didn't eat enough and ate the wrong things), and this is why I am with her on how she has found to maintain herself. Maybe there's more to the intuitive eating, but from what I read, it's basically what I'm doing as well. Not having to count. It's a personal preference. I'll educate myself on it though and see if there's anything other than what I understood from her post. I'm all for knowledge. :)

Edited by Newme17

I think if someone has found a way that helps them, they should share. It's up to each of us individuals to monitor ourselves and how we would do with or without it. It's not up to us to contradict what is working for her, the OP. We should be congratulating her that she's found a way that helps her and each other, for whatever way we go.

If anything she wrote is true, which is unlikely. It is probably a tactic they taught her when she went in-patient for her anorexia (if that was true).

Intuitive eating is why almost everyone is over weight.

An anorexic suggesting intuitive eating to people that are probably compulsive over eaters as a solution to their problems is so misguided it borders on unethical and immoral.

Why she is allowed to continue to troll these forums with her fantastical lies is a mystery.

39 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

I think if someone has found a way that helps them, they should share. It's up to each of us individuals to monitor ourselves and how we would do with or without it. It's not up to us to contradict what is working for her, the OP. We should be congratulating her that she's found a way that helps her and each other, for whatever way we go.

Who contradicted her? Challenging someone and contradicting someone are different things. It is important to present multiple perspectives because people read things, misapply it to their situation, and suffer in the end for it.

I think the whole idea is absurd for an audience of morbidly obese (or formerly morbidly obese) people, those struggling with weight, and those who are largely losing weight or need to lose weight. But she, you, and anyone else is welcome to do whatever you want to do. We'll see how it all shakes out down the road.

4 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

I think the whole idea is absurd for an audience of morbidly obese (or formerly morbidly obese) people, those struggling with weight, and those who are largely losing weight or need to lose weight. But she, you, and anyone else is welcome to do whatever you want to do. We'll see how it all shakes out down the road.

Exactly.

And she has a long history of lying here, and she previously admitted that she lied. So how can anyone believe anything she says at all?

Almost everyone that was here when she was spinning her fantasical lies and called her out on it are gone. So she feels perfectly comfortable to come back, reinvent herself as some new age eating guru and spew more BS. If anyone dares to call her on her BS or remember all the lies she told she just plays victim.

She is completely toxic.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

13 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

My intuitive appetite wanted bacon cheeseburgers and fries. I don't trust it. Maybe some day. Doubtful.

And that is probably how a vast majority of people who read this post will be, hence my thoughts...

All the people that post they feel their body needs chicken and potatoes with gravy 3 days post-op (totally happened here) or candy a week out.

When see someone that seems successful talking about they are "intuitive eating" it is just giving a green light for bad behavior.

Life post-op should not feel like you are on a continual diet. That is why changing your attitude about food, learning nutrition, and find a way of eating that does not make you deprived matter.

Intuitive eating for food addicts is just a crock of #$@^

I seriously doubt this would work for everyone. If I ate anything I wanted whenever I wanted it I would weigh more than I did before I got WLS.
i don't consider choosing healthy foods and portions dieting. It is a lifestyle and is simply how eat now.

I totally agree eating like that is what got me so fat in the first place I cannot afford to be non chalant with my eating habits because I have my surgery on June 21st and I don't think I'm ever going to miss bad foods or unhealthy food choices ever. I've worked too hard to get this surgery to have it all go to hell because of my unhealthy eating habits. I hope you do well.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

My thinking when I read this post was it should be in a maintenance forum or should come with a big warning that it is not for those just starting out and in the losing phase of their journey. Many are still learning to conquer their food demons or unhealthy habits.

I didn't mean any disrespect to the OP and I am happy she has found a way to maintain her weight. My logical brain just can't see how this type of thinking will work for the majority of people that have just had or will have WLS. I know not everyone is a food addict, but many are, and I would say most of us had unhealthy eating habits at the very least. I am a newbie when it comes to what it takes to be successful, but I have seen what addiction can do to people. An alcoholic can never have another drink or they will relapse, and I think many sugar and carb addicts might have a problem with this way of eating. I have read some articles and first hand accounts that say some foods should never come back into your diet if they trigger you or are gateway drugs so to speak.

I haven't always been obese. I used to be able to eat anything and I never gained weight. I was skinny as a rail. But my body changed when I turned 40, my thyroid took a dive, and I obviously didn't change my eating habits to reflect this. As our bodies change we have to adjust and realize what worked when we were 20 or 30 might not work when we are 40. I doubt I will ever be able to eat like that again and I don't think that is a bad thing, it is just a new normal.

I think we all need to figure out the best path to success and that will likely be different for each individual. I am still trying to figure out which path is going to work for me, but I don't think I can risk my health to my intuition, at least not at this point.

1 minute ago, Apple1 said:

My thinking when I read this post was it should be in a maintenance forum or should come with a big warning that it is not for those just starting out and in the losing phase of their journey. Many are still learning to conquer their food demons or unhealthy habits.

I didn't mean any disrespect to the OP and I am happy she has found a way to maintain her weight. My logical brain just can't see how this type of thinking will work for the majority of people that have just had or will have WLS. I know not everyone is a food addict, but many are, and I would say most of us had unhealthy eating habits at the very least. I am a newbie when it comes to what it takes to be successful, but I have seen what addition can do to people. An alcoholic can never have another drink or they will relapse, and I think many sugar and carb addicts might have a problem with this way of eating. I have read some articles and first hand accounts that say some foods should never come back into your diet if they trigger you or are gateway drugs so to speak.

I haven't always been obese. I used to be able to eat anything and I never gained weight. I was skinny as a rail. But my body changed when I turned 40, my thyroid took a dive, and I obviously didn't change my eating habits to reflect this. As our bodies change we have to adjust and realize what worked when we were 20 or 30 might not work when we are 40. I doubt I will ever be able to eat like that again and I don't think that is a bad thing, it is just a new normal.

I think we all need to figure out the best path to success and that will likely be different for each individual. I am still trying to figure out which path is going to work for me, but I don't think I can risk my health to my intuition, at least not at this point.

Great post!

48 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Life post-op should not feel like you are on a continual diet. That is why changing your attitude about food, learning nutrition, and find a way of eating that does not make you deprived matter.

Intuitive eating for food addicts is just a crock of #$@^

Well then I guess I should educate myself on this "intuitive eating" more because I agree with what your saying here and that's what I've been saying all along. My intuitive eating is lean meats/grains and veggies, fruits. People are mentioning cheeseburgers and crap, that's not what I crave these days.

@blizair09 I do agree with you. Challenge is good, but I also thought that she's found a way that works for her. I also don't know anything about past posts, lying, etc. So that's all new to me. People really need to judge for themselves as well. I know a lot of folks don't want to look for the answers themselves, they'd rather just hear it from someone else, that's what gets them in trouble. "I lost 50 lbs eating cheeseburgers!...you can too!" Folks really should think for themselves, and we can help steer them in he right directions too.

But I do have to say, I am not all that educated with the degree of food addictions, so if the original post needs challenging, then so be it.

I'm really not arguing with y'all at all. I'm open to correction if I need it. I could learn. 😊

Edited by Newme17

4 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Well then I guess I should educate myself on this "intuitive eating" more because I agree with what your saying here and that's what I've been saying all along. My intuitive eating is lean meats/grains and veggies, fruits. People are mentioning cheeseburgers and crap, that's not what I crave these days.

@blizair09 I do agree with you. Challenge is good, but I also thought that she's found a way that works for her. I also don't know anything about past posts, lying, etc. So that's all new to me. People really need to judge for themselves as well. I know a lot of folks don't want to look for the answers themselves, they'd rather just hear it from someone else, that's what gets them in trouble. "I lost 50 lbs eating cheeseburgers!...you can too!" Folks really should think for themselves, and we can help steer them in he right directions too.

But I do have to say, I am not all that educated with the degree of food addictions, so if the original post needs challenging, then so be it.

I'm really. It arguing with y'all at all. I'm open to correction if I need it. I could learn. 😊

I am so open to learning!! Obviously what I have been doing for the past 8 -9 years hasn't been working and led me down this path. The debates and discussions on nutrition on this forum have led me to seek out publish papers on the subject so I can educate myself.

I am learning so much from everyone especially the veterans that are still here posting and helping us new to this whole process. My degree is entomology not nutrition, so I still have a long way to go, but I will get there, my health depends on it.