Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complication? It's not working, there's a complication

9 days out

No complications

No pain

No nausea

No gas

No Constipation

No dehydration

You know what else?

No sense of any restriction

All foods small portion tested fine

No inability to drink and eat at same time

Gained weight

No hunger adjustment, hungry just like before surgery

Craving all foods, worse craving for sweets

If it wasn't for the x ray of my surgery and 24 hours of pain I wouldn't have believed anything was done to me.

I do NOT see anything like this experienced shared by anyone.

I was maybe a bit low BMI to have surgery, but was stuck for years at 250, with healthy A1c3 and blood pressure because I lost 35 pounds before via diet and exercise.

What the hell is happening to me!

5'8... 54 years old, 250 1 week prior to surgery, 245 on surgery day due to liquid diet, 239 today, 236 3 days ago,

All responses welcome

At only 9 days out, you are still on full liquids or purees, right? A lot of people don't start feeling restriction until they are on solid food.

The hunger is likely acid. See if an antacid changes things.

The scale will go up and down, that is part of the journey. The overall trend should be downward on a week to week or bimonthly basis. (Today is my 2 month surgiversary, and the scale has moved every week except one so far...touch wood).

We did hear about a patient that went under the knife, but apparently the procedure actually hadn't been done. May or may not be actually true. But no worries! If it happened to you, you'll sue the pants off everyone and get your procedure later! Win/win.

Just stick to your plan, testing your tummy can be dangerous these early days. Pretty soon you'll laugh about all these early concerns.

I felt the same shortly after I had VSG. I was also still hungry and craving sweets after surgery. I didn't feel much restriction, I thought maybe my sleeve was too big. I am almost 4 months post op, and am about to hit the 50 lb mark. I have no problem eating any foods: tough meat, salad, popcorn etc.

you will feel restriction when you try cottage cheese or refried Beans. Another tip is to imagine the food you are eating smashed in a blender. Carbs are usually soft and you can fit more, that's why dense Protein gives you the best bang for your buck.

At only 9 days out, you are still on full liquids or purees, right? A lot of people don't start feeling restriction until they are on solid food.< br> The hunger is likely acid. See if an antacid changes things.
The scale will go up and down, that is part of the journey. The overall trend should be downward on a week to week or bimonthly basis. (Today is my 2 month surgiversary, and the scale has moved every week except one so far...touch wood).
We did hear about a patient that went under the knife, but apparently the procedure actually hadn't been done. May or may not be actually true. But no worries! If it happened to you, you'll sue the pants off everyone and get your procedure later! Win/win.
Just stick to your plan, testing your tummy can be dangerous these early days. Pretty soon you'll laugh about all these early concerns.

I'm on smooth and slightly lumpy foods generally, but I have eaten a few Fiber One Protein bars...which no matter what anyone says - are just glorified junk food candy bars for the modern day, and I'm using the protein as an excuse to get to the chocolate.

I wanted to protect my gall bladder and kidneys with cran juices and suck, but they are pretty much pure crap as listed in their nutrition guides, no Proteins, all sugar and carbs.

To reiterate....why should I not eat ahead of schedule...if a very tiny bit e of something new is always tested first....then waiting an hour to gauge any reaction? I don't mean eating insanely, just a week or two ahead of the chart. Also....this thing about drinking "small sips" or getting sick is completely lost on me. I'm not trying to win a chugging contest, but drinking normally is fine. I almost wish it wasn't, as it would reinforce to my brain the restriction concept.

Without any negative reinforcement for my brain and body to change the way I ate before...the chance for total failure here seems pretty high. If I could have mentally handled eating rules, I wouldn't have needed surgery!

It seems like you are daring yourself to screw up. The reasons for liquids and soft foods is for healing, your stomach is stapled and not healed - you don't want to mess it up and create a medical issue. Concentrate on the required grams of Protein and wrapping your head around sound nutrition. But you are correct about most Protein Bars.

I went through a two week stall after week two...I can drink two gulps of Water without pain...I'm down 43 lbs in 9 weeks. Your body has gone through huge change, also some lose slower than others, which can be a good thing. Losing weight super fast can cause stones.

I went through a two week stall after week two...I can drink two gulps of Water without pain...I'm down 43 lbs in 9 weeks. Your body has gone through huge change, also some lose slower than others, which can be a good thing. Losing weight super fast can cause stones.

Ok, I'll be blunt.

Your stomach nerves were cut during the surgery and so you really can't feel what is going on in your actual stomach. It takes weeks, if not months for those connections to be made again. In the meantime we feel fullness through pressure on the surrounding tissues. The esophagus, diaphram, intestines.

The stomach is a muscular tube that contracts to push food on through. liquids require almost no contracting to go through, so there is very little pressure on the staples when you drink. Usually doctors like to give the sleeve 2-3 weeks of liquids, so the swelling has a chance to go down and get the healing process started.

The liquids can get a little thicker over time, and by 6-8 weeks we are allowed a normal diet.

Advancing the diet can kill you. The staple line can pop open before the stomach is healed..which takes 6 months to complete. Leaks are rare after 8 weeks, so that is why we are on a normal diet after that.

Just an update.....it's 4 weeks, and things seem normal,now...whatever was going on at that point physically and psychologically was bizarre.

Glad things have normalized for you! Surgery is very traumatic, both physically and psychologically, and everyone goes through some strangeness, me thinks :)

How much weight have you lost so far?

25 pounds lost, and i can't find in "my profile" where I can keep this updated, although I just added a photo

On 6/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, TheBearguy8 said:

Just an update.....it's 4 weeks, and things seem normal,now...whatever was going on at that point physically and psychologically was bizarre.

I am 2 months ish almost now and just wanted to say - my original post looks nuts right now and I want to remove it out of embarrassment - but perhaps someone will be helped by it. Everything is going great, and if I could find in my profile where I could post my progress of weight loss, I'd be happy to share that with you.

I am 2 months ish almost now and just wanted to say - my original post looks nuts right now and I want to remove it out of embarrassment - but perhaps someone will be helped by it. Everything is going great, and if I could find in my profile where I could post my progress of weight loss, I'd be happy to share that with you.

Definitely keep it! It's not easy immediately post op and it could help someone.
I'm so glad you're doing better! I can't do anything on the app so if I want to update something I go into the desktop site (even then it's not very user friendly). Congrats though!

Please keep the post up. I had surgery on June 27. I have no problem getting all my fluids in. I was starting to think it was a problem that I wasn't experiencing what others were posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

So glad things are better for you! Sounds like your weight is coming off wonderfully! Definitely keep the post up, because pretty much everyone goes through some weirdness postop, and this way people can see the whole thing.. from you freaking out to saying.. " I don't know what that was about!".

As for updating your weight, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "together we have lost 4,097,083lbs" under that you type your beginning weight, and current weight. Automatically updates your #.