Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled, June 28th!!!!!!



Recommended Posts

I am sooo super stoked- I have only told a very select few that I have this up and coming. One of which was my boss, I was wondering if any of you have experienced questions from co workers or anything like that and how you approached it. I am not by any means hiding anything, I just want to wait until after the procedure is completed before I let the cat out of the bag so to speak. I am already super emotional, just because this has been a long process for me. (found a doctor I like a year ago and he was NOT COE approved-so I had to find another doctor) Any advice is welcome, I am just more or less trying to be positive and not let my worry overwhelm me. TIA :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only told 4 of the ladies I work with and trust. I don't need any added pressure or expectations. I am doing the gastric sleeve because of my health. I'm tired of the medications and the pain from my RA, Fibromyalgia and neuropathy. I know this isn't going to miracously cure me. I know with less weight there is less pressure on my joints. Good Luck with your surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, and I couldn't agree more. I just don't want any expectations or extra questions. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Wish you the best with your en devours! :780_sparkling_heart:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lexington1020 said:

I am sooo super stoked- I have only told a very select few that I have this up and coming. One of which was my boss, I was wondering if any of you have experienced questions from co workers or anything like that and how you approached it. I am not by any means hiding anything, I just want to wait until after the procedure is completed before I let the cat out of the bag so to speak. I am already super emotional, just because this has been a long process for me. (found a doctor I like a year ago and he was NOT COE approved-so I had to find another doctor) Any advice is welcome, I am just more or less trying to be positive and not let my worry overwhelm me. TIA :)

Be happy. The date itself will probably have you over the moon. We are all in your corner this site is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sweet as peaches said:

Be happy. The date itself will probably have you over the moon. We are all in your corner this site is awesome.

Thank you, I love it! I am learning soo much! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only bring up my surgery when people ask me about it. I went out to lunch with an acquaintance I volunteer with and she noticed I didn't eat much of my meal (I ordered a salad and frittata combo and only ate the hard boiled eggs, a few pieces of lettuce, and some Tomato and took the rest to go). I told her I had surgery and she was like "WOW, I wish I had something that would stop me from eating so much!" It made me uncomfortable because her weight problem is not nearly as severe as mine so I just kind of laughed it off and changed the subject.

I think it produces less speculation if you are just up front with the surgery rather than saying you're on a diet. People have questions about what you're eating and "aren't you starving yourself?" if you're sitting there nibbling on a carrot. But if you say it's because your stomach literally cannot handle more than the small amount in front of you they'll leave you alone :)

Good luck on your surgery! I bet you're excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, needtorecover said:

I only bring up my surgery when people ask me about it. I went out to lunch with an acquaintance I volunteer with and she noticed I didn't eat much of my meal (I ordered a salad and frittata combo and only ate the hard boiled eggs, a few pieces of lettuce, and some Tomato and took the rest to go). I told her I had surgery and she was like "WOW, I wish I had something that would stop me from eating so much!" It made me uncomfortable because her weight problem is not nearly as severe as mine so I just kind of laughed it off and changed the subject.

I think it produces less speculation if you are just up front with the surgery rather than saying you're on a diet. People have questions about what you're eating and "aren't you starving yourself?" if you're sitting there nibbling on a carrot. But if you say it's because your stomach literally cannot handle more than the small amount in front of you they'll leave you alone :)

Good luck on your surgery! I bet you're excited!

I told my husband if we go out to eat I will only order off the kids meal- grilled chicken and a veggie. I totally get it about being uncomfortable about sharing that, especially being that the person you had lunch with had a smaller weight problem. (but each journey is different-I get it) Thank you for sharing that with me, I like to see all different approaches. You are correct I am beyond excited/nervous! <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats!!! I am in the first month of my 3-month pre-op and I've told everyone, far and wide, from family to friends to co-workers. Everyone has been just great! Totally supportive, asking appropriate questions, listening to my updates, etc. My co-workers weren't quite sure if my news was good news right away, but I assured them it is!


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am scheduled for June 5th for the DS (after they rescheduled my March surgery due to insurance issues) I have told very few about it I kinda want the surprise factor. Not that I am going to lie I just don't wanna hear all the negative remarks and waver my decision. "I WANT THIS FOR ME..... Not for you"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats!! It is so exciting. At work, I only have told my team. The others will just have to scratch their heads and watch me shrink. :) I have also only told my immediate family. My husband and I had our surgeries 4 days apart so we are on this journey together. (11 days post op for me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2017 at 11:22 PM, Jean E. said:

Congrats!! It is so exciting. At work, I only have told my team. The others will just have to scratch their heads and watch me shrink. :) I have also only told my immediate family. My husband and I had our surgeries 4 days apart so we are on this journey together. (11 days post op for me)

Well that is super awesome you have someone to share the journey with! I hope you both are feeling well. Thank you for sharing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • allwet

      Got my haircut today and its always amazing how much better i feel afterwards.
      i have always considered it an odd thing that i enjoy a haircut so much.
      The smell of the barbershop (no salons allowed) and the whole scissors and clippers feel and sound is so relaxing.
      I have had the same barber since 1987 and i am not sure how i will handle it if that guy ever dares to die on me. I am pretty sure that the magazines on the bottom of the stack are the same ones from my first visit.
      just started Ron Powers -Mark Twain Biography- enjoying it
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Gthom33

      Good Morning! Today is the first day of my liver shrinking diet!  It is hard being in the office and in my classes thinking about my old habits. But surgery is so close so can't complain too much! !10 days away!! Here we go. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Kimberly3  »  SabrinaGoddess

      Please keep us posted on your progress nth inking great thoughts for you. You got this!
      · 1 reply
      1. SabrinaGoddess

        Thanks so much Kimberly! Today I went for my pre-op consult, blood work and ekg, then I visited my doctor. I am SO excited. It's all happening!

    • BayougirlMrsS

      So i joined this site back in 2009 when it was called LapBandTalk.....  It, and I, have gone through a lot of changes..... Band, weight loss, grandkids, divorce, remarriage.......
      I just noticed that over 49K people have viewed my profile...... I sure hope i was able to inspire at least one....
      Today, i'm down to 141.4....  Size 6 Worthington pants.  Had to make a hole in my belt..... Whoop whoop
      I need yall's fashion help......


      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • allwet

      I have to say, even more than 2 years out, it is so much easier to be good when your busy and so easy to go wrong when your bored.  Crappy weather and the wife is sick so i feel trapped in this house and i have to really watch myself.  At least the holiday leftovers are gone.
      Going to get out this week even if for only a few hours, maybe go see  Ford vs Ferrari that looks real good.
      Ok, whining over, I hope everyone is doing well and had a good thanksgiving.
      · 1 reply
      1. ms.sss

        I hear ya. I notice the only time I ever "feel like eating" when I'm not actually hungry is when I'm watching TV for too long.

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×