Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Living Life 4 Ounces At A Time

I am 8 weeks Post Op and it is Abundantly clear that from now on I need to Live my Life 4oz's at a time. I don't have a Calibrated eye so my guessing on the weight of a meal doesn't work for me. It's for that reason that I have multiple digital scales at Home, Work and on the Go. I follow a Keto Macros style diet and with that I find my sweet spot to be 4oz, I know I could push it to 6 or even 8 and still get a good loss but 8 would turn to 16 and then 24. Right now I am obeying all the Posted signs of my Nutrition Highway, any other way has always ended in a crash and burn on my behalf. I stay plugged in to this and other forum as a constant reminder of the Success and constant problems myself and others face. I constantly have to remind myself of the rules of nutrition and that as long as I make them important and continue them i will have ongoing success.

11 minutes ago, 2-Liter said:

Right now I am obeying all the Posted signs of my Nutrition Highway, any other way has always ended in a crash and burn on my behalf.

Well hell, that is almost a novel approach compared to many of the newer members. So kudos to you!

I stay plugged in to this and other forum as a constant reminder of the Success and constant problems myself and others face.

I only seem to come here anymore as a constant reminder of failures because of people not doing what you are committing to above. I am pretty confident you are going to be a success story in the long run.

It is so nice to see someone really committing to the life post-op instead of eating trash and posting about it to get the thumbs up. Ditto what Big Viffer said.

I mainly just come here as a reminder of what not to do. If you are actually doing the right thing around here you basically get zero support.

The scale is your friend. I have been weighing all my food for almost 2 years, I still can't eye ball it accurately.

gcCVpD1.jpg

Volume is always going to be inferior to weight. I wish more people here would weigh their food. They claim they are eating X, but they aren't tracking and they aren't weight so they have no idea. I even weigh my prepackaged food because the weights vary on those.

This blog post sums it up pretty well why weighing is superior. http://christyshawfitness.com/2017/02/why-i-prefer-a-scale-to-measuring-cups/

I really wish the US would switch to the metric system. There is no confusing volume & weight that way. Grams & milliliters vs . Ounces & ounces. Seems like a no-brainer.

Oh, and not to mention the metric system is so nicely thought out that it is all base 10 counting and not 2 tablespoons=1 ounce. 4 ounces=1/2 cup. Pints, quarts, gallons... all weird math scaling.

Wow OutsideMatchInside that is a Great example of weight vs Volume, it is truly a eye opener. I read all of your Posts on Keto and find them very insightful.

BigViffer the way you track and monitor your intake, exercise and BM's gives a detailed Roads Map of where you have come from and predicts where you are going, it is inspiring. If we all would spend more time planning ahead like you do we would find a lot less obstacles in our way.

My Old Habits helped me to get to 513lbs so its time to chisel these New Habits in Stone and make them Law. I have been eating Keto for 22 weeks and I Love it. Now that I am 8 weeks Post-Op its time to add the gym too the walking I have been doing and hit it from both angles.

@BigViffer

Yeah, I track all my food in Metric. I wish we would just the rest of the scientific world.

Also I notice that even on the packaging the grams in parenthesis are off from ounces/tablespoons, with the grams/ml being more accurate. It doesn't seem like much at one time, but over a month or a year, it adds up.

@2-Liter I am really glad you like Keto. I think the key to doing it long term, is liking it. Really enjoying and understanding how it works. It makes it easy to make the right choices in various situations and you don't feel deprived.

I also had a lot of bad habits that got me to almost 400 pounds. I am going the opposite now and trying to cement them as habits for life. Like weighing and tracking my food. The further out I get the more lax I want to get with it, but any time I slack off, even for half a day I suffer for it, so it just isn't worth it. If I hadn't been really serious about it in the beginning when it was fresh and I was really dedicated I am sure I would have quit by now. Also being serious about it in the beginning helped me learn that it really works and see the benefits so that also makes it easier to continue.

I don't know if you use IG, but this guy https://www.instagram.com/vsg_kingtut_77 started large, he is still a big dude, but he built and fine as $%^&. If I was a big guy starting out, he would be motivation.

Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work!

I know Keto will work as long as you stick with it. For me, I know I couldn't stick with it long term, so I'm starting with a moderate approach.

I guess I need to ask my nut, but I am looking forward to getting in 6 or 8 oz at a meal. Then I can actually fit veggies in with my Protein. (More than a spoonful, which isn't worth the cooking!).

3oz protein, 3oz nonstarchy veggies, 2 oz starchy.. that is my long term goal (4 meals) (I'm female..a guy would need 4oz protein at a time).

Berry78 I totally understand about the not worth cooking part. I try to pack as much flavor in these meals as I can, at times I will have 6 ingredients in something as small as 2 chicken Fingers. Counting the nutrition content on those recipes is definitely fun the first time, but as long as it fits in my Macros its worth the work. You should see me with my scales its actually pretty funny because I constantly remind my self that 4ish is not 4 and I start taking off my plate as a small tear streams down my face.

BigViffer I wish we (US) would go metric too. It would be so much easier. 2Liter, I also measure everything. On my digital kitchen scale. And I carry 2 oz containers in my purse to help me eyeball portions when eating away from home. I cut off what I'm going to eat and immediately box the rest so I don't sit and graze through my meal.