Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Patient Death at A Lighter Me (ALM) with Dr. Jose Luis Curiel Marchena

Your quote, "some surgeons are a bit more picky on whom they operate on". Very true! They want the easy money without having to work with the more difficult higher risk patients that despartly need help!

Alex I think you mentioned your in TJ right now? Want to meet for coffee? What hotel are you staying at?

I'm done on the Bariatric Pal forum. PM me if you're interested. Let's straighten this out!

Over and out!

Sandy - It's already straightened out. You're lying, and pretty much everyone knows it. After ALL the dodging you have done just on THIS thread, you have done irreparable damage to your company.

Now, all of a sudden, you want to "meet for coffee" with Alex? After you have attacked him and called him a liar? If I was him, I would say "No thanks...I actually don't have time for games".

Why would anyone go to Mexico for any type of medical treatment? Its Mexico, hello!

There are many reasons why people go to Mexico for surgeries. I had my surgery in Mexico. I got the BEST CARE I have ever had. After I had surgery, I was in the hospital for two more days, under actual watchful eyes from nurses who would come within minutes when I pushed the nurse button. Come. Not answer on the speaker to see what I wanted. Came. Every time! They took wonderful care of me, and the valets from BariatricPal took wonderful care of me and my daughter. I was checked on frequently. Then, after my THREE days in the hospital, I was cleared to be discharged, to go to an awesome hotel for two more days, where I was visited by a doctor both days to make sure I was healing correctly and to make sure to answer any questions I had. On top of that, I can email my surgeon and nutritionist and get a response within hours. Not days.

Going to Mexico to get my surgery was one of the BEST CHOICES I have EVER MADE!!

Please do more research before you make judgments about surgery and hospital care in Mexico. The care I received was 100 times better than any hospital in the US.

Well my Doctor also would say that was a fact about him as well, what Doctor wouldn't.

My surgeon wouldn't. I mean...why lie? Every doctor wouldn't say that.

I will just relay a short story about my experince in Mexico. I am a nurse and have worked in surgery for 12yrs. I had my lap band removed and a conversion to VSG. I had complications in Mexico and did not feel the hospital was adequately equipped to deal with serious issues. The nurses spoke very broken English and there where no CT scanners or MRI machines nor ICU beds. IF everything goes well Mexico is a great option. My best friend had same procedure same day. Did great. For the 95% of people that go and do perfect Mexico is a God send (we were both self pay) but it's a choice you ultimately have to make yourself. I am now 4 weeks post op and have a 1mm stricture in my stomach and require further surgery. The same complication could happen at ant hospital to any surgeon the difference is in the US the hospital and staff have the equipment and knowledge to handle just about anything..... so my point is this. Think hard and long about how willing you are to accept the consequences of your decision. [emoji738]

I'm not sure where you had your surgery, but I had my surgery at Oasis of Hope Hospital in Tijuana, Mexico, and that hospital is a full service hospital. It has everything hospitals in the US have. So please be careful about just assuming all hospitals in Mexico don't have up to date equipment, or assume that every hospital in the US has up to date equipment, because neither assumption is correct.

I just want to say We live in Roseburg, Oregon and in our town we have 1 hospital. No choice of going to another one in an EMERGENCY. I can tell you this much...I have said this to every family member "If I am not dying take me to Medford or Eugene. Medford is around 100 miles from us and Eugene is 85 miles from us. Don't care for our Hospital here at all. But even as much as I don't like it and hope to not need it in an Emergency I would NOT use Juarez, Mexico again. My hubby had his Sleeve there last June. What a JOKE. The language issue, no wash clothes, nurses not washing their hands or using even hand santizer, no discharge papers. The surgeon working on many pateints all day. He was there early that morning and my hubby's surgery was in late afternoon. The DR came in at 10:00 pm. Scary times. How can he be refreshed when he is doing one after another surgeries!! It was NOT good to say the least. Our hospital here is like a A PLUS and Juarez is a 0. Just a word or two on remember what we have here and what we got there!!

How about really being helpful, not being vaguely frightening and actually state:

1. What's the name of the hospital in Juarez?

2. what's the name of the surgeon? Names of any of this list of people who don't wash their hands?

3. What are your issues with your own hospital in Roseburg? That might be helpful for us to know what your standards are.

You are really just fear mongering otherwise. Inciting fright, while not allowing anyone to really solve anything because all we know is "Juarez".

Well first off you don't even know me!! I am just stating what happened to us. As far as the Dr's name it was Jose Rodriguez. I can't recall the hospital's name. The nurses I can't remember their names either. I was in no way trying to just scare people. I was ststing what happened to us. We went thru BELITE WEIGHTLOSS. Which I have stated before. My problem with our hospital here in Roseburg, the nurses are overworked and as that being said they just don't provide the care to the people at the hospital. When my husband was in there after his knee replacement the charge nurse was working the floor. The ER if you need to go there they have young Dr.'s that are pompus. I went in because my PCP had already dignoised me with H1N1 and I had a high fever of 104 so my PCP told my family to take me in. I set out there so sick I could hardly hold my head up and finally when I got called back the DR asked me what I thought they could do for me!!! When I told him what my PCP had said HE stated, WELL I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO!!! When you sit in a ER sick and there are many many sick people and you have to wait forever and then be barked at it is totally unacceptable. This hospital has many many suits from people that have contacted MERSA. My husband had abcesses and when he went to the hospital (in Roseburg) he contacted strep from his surgery. Another gentleman at the same time had contacted it also. That is just a few of the reasons I don't care for our local Hospital!! You stated that I am just trying to cause FEAR MONGERING, you are WAY OFF BASE!!! I only want to help not hinder!! I resent you saying this. You don't know me and I don't know you so kindly speak of what you know!!

Is there a reason all posts that are about just about anything are being posted in the post about a death at ALM? This question is posed to you Alex. You're obviously wanting to keep this garbage alive for your own profit. Everyone knows it. I've received TONS of emails directing me to this topic.

Unless you verify your information and/or name your sources you are acting recklessly and I'm not going to stand by and do nothing! (Even though I'm pretty sure who you got this from by the way the story is being told)

Again if anyone wants the REAL story, go to our Facebook page or give me a call.

43 minutes ago, Sandy Johnson said:

Is there a reason all posts that are about just about anything are being posted in the post about a death at ALM? This question is posed to you Alex. You're obviously wanting to keep this garbage alive for your own profit. Everyone knows it. I've received TONS of emails directing me to this topic.

Unless you verify your information and/or name your sources you are acting recklessly and I'm not going to stand by and do nothing! (Even though I'm pretty sure who you got this from by the way the story is being told)

Again if anyone wants the REAL story, go to our Facebook page or give me a call.

It's a YES or NO question. Are you denying a patient died?? This is about bringing transparency to an industry that needs some cleaning up.

Your own patient posted in this topic that they were in the hospital when your ALM patient passed away. I'm not sure how much more you're going to try to twist things and make them about me.

This just breaks my heart. I know the desperation she must have felt to go out of country for the surgery but sometimes it just isn't worth it. After care is so important for recovery and you don't get that if surgery is out of country. Of course there are always risks regardless of where its done. I just pray that this child has not been too terribly traumatized by all of this. I will keep this child and her family in my prayers.

2 hours ago, Sandy Johnson said:

I went to the ALM facebook page to get the other side of the story and there was nothing posted there about the story at all. I have to believe what Alex is telling us to be true, unless you can provide us with some other information. Those of us that have already had surgery are fine but there is no way I'd support a friend going there unless there is some transparency and information sharing.

2 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

It's a YES or NO question. Are you denying a patient died?? This is about bringing transparency to an industry that needs some cleaning up.

Your own patient posted in this topic that they were in the hospital when your ALM patient passed away. I'm not sure how much more you're going to try to twist things and make them about me.

You and I agree on one thing. This industry needs some cleaning up. But you have no idea who the bad guys are!

Twist things? Do you want to know if there was a death or do you want something sensational? This "14 year old child that was abandoned in TJ". "Her mother bled out on the table". Are you sticking with that story? You are refusing to name your source. You're the one that's not transparent and recklessly posting untruths.

Questions? Ask on my Facebook page or call me. I even offered to meet with you when you claimed that you were in TJ. I don't think you were there. I think you got this info from MBC or someone that works with them and you don't know just how UNrealiable your sources are. I also don't think you care!

We are very well respected in Mexico and now you're making yourself look bad!

I am new to this website and have been (sadly) following this thread for the last few days. I have no dog in this fight, but I do appreciate transparency, and am an advocate for those who are online seeking valid and reliable information for their own journey. I too went to the ALM Facebook page and saw no mention of this story to either confirm or deny the information, but have seen several prompts from you, Sandy, to do so. I am unsure why one would opt to call ALM directly for information when you have been so reluctant to willingly​ supply it here despite repeated requests, though you readily insinuate it is others who are being dishonest. This journey is difficult enough to navigate for most of us without childish actions such as yours further muddying the waters. I'm sure you'll have some contrite response instead of taking the feelings of a new member to heart, but I felt it needed to be said.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

35 minutes ago, Sandy Johnson said:

You and I agree on one thing. This industry needs some cleaning up. But you have no idea who the bad guys are!

Twist things? Do you want to know if there was a death or do you want something sensational? This "14 year old child that was abandoned in TJ". "Her mother bled out on the table". Are you sticking with that story? You are refusing to name your source. You're the one that's not transparent and recklessly posting untruths.

Questions? Ask on my Facebook page or call me. I even offered to meet with you when you claimed that you were in TJ. I don't think you were there. I think you got this info from MBC or someone that works with them and you don't know just how UNrealiable your sources are. I also don't think you care!

We are very well respected in Mexico and now you're making yourself look bad!

Nobody called you a bad guy or gal. I reported information that was relayed to me by a trustworthy source. You denied the death as long as you were able. That was until your own patient posted that she was there when the patient died.

Was there a death or not?

The details definitely make a difference but the core issue is you're trying to brush away the fact that a patient passed away while under your company's care. What else are you hiding that we aren't privy to or that wasn't leaked to us by a well-informed source? It would have been a lot simpler if you wouldn't act shady and just tell it as it is.

You don't think I was in TJ? For transparency purposes, here's my Jetblue itinerary:

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.41.47 AM.png

I was in TJ.

I'm normally there a week at a time every month or so.

We have 9 pages of posts but you've yet to confirm or deny if a patient actually died after being operated on by Dr. Jose Luis Curiel Marchena at A Lighter Me?

Yes or No?

4 hours ago, Sandy Johnson said:

I just want to point out, from one public relations person to another, that you are doing far more damage to yourself and your company's reputability than @Alex Brecher could ever hope to do. And I thought United's PR was bad.

Please stick around, this is quite entertaining.