Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Monday and I'm Having Problems!

My surgery is scheduled for Monday morning -- Band to Bypass. I've had explosive diarrhea on the shakes -- both the whey Protein Shakes and the vegan shakes. The only Protein powder that doesn't seem to both my digestive system is Trader Joe's Pea Protein. I ran out of the TJ Pea Protein 3-days ago and started using the vegan protein powder (recommended by the dietician). For 3-days now, I've been feeling really sick -- upset stomach times ten. No fever or nausea -- it's not a virus. It's that something has disagreed with me in a major way. I feel exhausted and my head feels as though it's sitting in cotton -- I feel spacey. It's from having very little in my stomach -- just some Water and a little bit of plain yogurt today. Tomorrow I start the clear liquid diet. I've spoken to the dietician 3X since this started and she's not concerned. She feels if I go back on the TJ Pea Protein, I should be fine. The physician assistant says that as long as I don't have a virus, I'm good to go.

I'm concerned. I don't have a virus -- I'm sure of that. But something is disagreeing with me big time and I'm wondering if it's all the protein? Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm hoping that things settle down when I go on the clear liquid diet tomorrow, but I would think the surgeon would want to see me and check me out given what's going on? Should I be concerned?

Sounds like your body doesn't like the whey or vegan Proteins and your intestines are making that displeasure known. My guess is that they see this often enough not to worry about it. I'd get to TJ and stock up on the powder your body likes.

I'm feeling better tonight, but I was feeling pretty terrible the last 3-days. I'm surprised they still want to do the surgery on Monday morning. At least on the Clear Liquids the next 2-days, my intestines will get a rest.

I'm feeling better tonight, but I was feeling pretty terrible the last 3-days. I'm surprised they still want to do the surgery on Monday morning. At least on the Clear  liquids the next 2-days, my intestines will get a rest.

Have you tried Isopure? It is another source of Protein that isn't thick it is more of a juice actually but the hospital gives it to you after surgery so while recovering I had a few packages delivered to my house. I personally LOVE the alpine punch flavor, better than grape. Hopefully you feel better!
IMG_0169.JPG

I bought a few bottles at GNC (had to leave in a hurry because the diarrhea was so bad I thought I was going to have an accident in the store -- I mean it was bad), but I haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid to try it. I feel fine today -- so the Trader Joe's pea Protein is for me. I can't do the whey and I can't do the vegan stuff that the nutritionist recommended. I'm clearly sensitive to some ingredient in them. Now that I'm feeling well and not having the runs, I want to keep it that way. I'm going to bring the Pea Protein with me to the hospital and that's what I'll drink. I don't want to have the runs a day or two out from surgery. I'm afraid to try anything new or different right now although a friend bought me egg white Protein Powder at Trader Joe's that she says has the same ingredients as the pea protein -- so I may be willing to try that in the hospital. I need to be be careful. I have Crohn's and while I don't think the sensitivity has anything to do with Crohn's, I want to be very, very careful.

I'm on the 2-day pre-surgery liquid diet today and tomorrow. The dietician recommended Swanson Thai Ginger broth. I'm sipping some now. That stuff is seriously spicy -- it has a major kick. It's quite good.

I'm getting very nervous. Am trying to keep myself occupied. Monday morning at 6:30am begins the journey.....

I bought a few bottles at GNC (had to leave in a hurry because the diarrhea was so bad I thought I was going to have an accident in the store -- I mean it was bad), but I haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid to try it. I feel fine today -- so the Trader Joe's pea Protein is for me. I can't do the whey and I can't do the vegan stuff that the nutritionist recommended. I'm clearly sensitive to some ingredient in them. Now that I'm feeling well and not having the runs, I want to keep it that way. I'm going to bring the Pea Protein with me to the hospital and that's what I'll drink. I don't want to have the runs a day or two out from surgery. I'm afraid to try anything new or different right now although a friend bought me egg white Protein  powder at Trader Joe's that she says has the same ingredients as the pea Protein -- so I may be willing to try that in the hospital. I need to be be careful. I have Crohn's and while I don't think the sensitivity has anything to do with Crohn's, I want to be very, very careful.

I'm on the 2-day pre-surgery liquid diet today and tomorrow. The dietician recommended Swanson Thai Ginger broth. I'm sipping some now. That stuff is seriously spicy -- it has a major kick. It's quite good.

I'm getting very nervous. Am trying to keep myself occupied. Monday morning at 6:30am begins the journey.....

I am glad you are feeling better and that the Pea protein is working for you. As far as having the runs in the hospital.. girl let me tell you. The morning of my last day I was able to relieve gas for the first time since surgery and I was happy because I thought it would let me get rid of the gas pain... and it did. But boy I was NOT prepared for what was to come. Sorry for the TMI but the first time I was going to make a bowel movement I was embarrassed because I didn't want these nurses that I had gotten to know to walk into the bathroom and see it (they put measured bowls in the toilet) and it was in thy moment that I had to decided whether I was gonna sh*t my pants or in the bowl. I physically had to get over that worry because the rest of my last day was ALL that. I couldn't wait to be discharged so I could do it in my own home LOL!

My point is, is that you will be fine! Just keep listening to your body [emoji23][emoji1]

Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessed with their bowels at the moment.

I'm feeling upset right now, because I just read that revisions (band to RNY), can only be done in 50% of cases due to adhesions. Once the surgeon gets in there and sees all the scarring, they can only do a RNY 50% of the time. My surgeon never said a thing about that as a possibility. Nothing I can do about it now, but I sure hope I don't come out surgery on Monday with no band (I do want the band out -- I hate that thing), and no RNY.

Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessed with their bowels at the moment.
I'm feeling upset right now, because I just read that revisions (band to RNY), can only be done in 50% of cases due to adhesions. Once the surgeon gets in there and sees all the scarring, they can only do a RNY 50% of the time. My surgeon never said a thing about that as a possibility. Nothing I can do about it now, but I sure hope I don't come out surgery on Monday with no band (I do want the band out -- I hate that thing), and no RNY.

Don't let that worry you.. i promise you it is going to be okay. When I saw my surgeon after surgery he mentioned that he was able to get all the scar tissue from my band out and I realized that, I had never really considered that to be a problem. Just relax and start putting good vibes out there in time for Monday! You need to be calm and healthy for surgery! Big hugs! P.s I just had a band to bypass on the 5th and I feel great! It will all work out! [emoji256]

I hadn't thought about it before either, but I've had 2 c-sections, gall bladder surgery, and surgery for the band. So, there must be a fair amount of scar tissue there. Nevertheless, my surgeon does a lot of revisions and perhaps he didn't mention the possibility of not being able to do the conversion because he's really good and he's not concerned. OK -- that's the position I'm taking! No concerns! And you're right -- I need to be upbeat and positive here.

You had your conversion 3-days ago and you're already online and all? I'm impressed! You must be home by now -- for how long were you in the hospital? It sounds like you're doing great -- I hope I do just as great as you're doing!

Thank you so much! Yes I had surgery on 4/5 8 am and was discharged yesterday so about 2.5 days!
When I got home I felt great and still do. I notice that I am up more because I can't quite find a comfortable position on my bed but the Percocet helps with that lol otherwise I am definitely struggling with head hunger but I just laugh at myself because I have no other choice.
I still have moderate pain mostly in the area of the port removal and I have my follow up on weds day.. I will say that I am down 7lbs since surgery day but I know it's mostly because of Water and bloating [emoji228] haha

I'm not doing as well as you are. I was in the hospital for 2.5 days, but I didn't feel great when I got home. I had some pain and because of the hernia repair, a feeling of difficulty when breathing. I was on Oxycontin for the first 2-days I was home, but I'm on Tylenol now -- and only in the late afternoon and at night. I'm doing much better than I was and today I spent a good deal of the day dressed and either walking around doing things or on the couch, reading. I finally came up to bed in the late afternoon to nap. I still get very, very tired, but I'm only 5-days post surgery, so I guess that's to still be expected.

I'm having a hard time getting in everything I'm supposed to be getting in regarding the post-op diet. I'm supposed to have 90 grams of Protein per day in the form of shakes or another liquid, plus electrolyte drinks, plus Water. The pea Protein Shakes I enjoyed before surgery taste disgusting to me now, so I'm having whey shakes which tend to upset my stomach (my bowels haven't fully engaged yet, so I figure I'll take advantage of that). I can't stand the taste of the Isopure or Gatorade -- so I hold my nose to get in the electrolytes. It's a lot of liquid to get in and I can't do it all. I'm doing the best I can. The nutritionist told me to concentrate on hydrating for now and we'll tackle the rest this coming week. I'm allowed cottage cheese, apple sauce, refried Beans, etc. starting on Monday, so at least that will be less boring. I'm craving wanting to eat solid food, but I know it's all in my head and not a result of being hungry.