Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wasn't diagnosed pre-op but I know for a fact I had a food addiction and was beginning a binge/purge cycle. I had been doing pretty well and was being super strict with myself for about 5 months. For the last 3, I've been telling myself 'one won't kill me', or 'I'll just work it off later'. But that, just a few bites of chips or Pasta have turned into binge fests where I eat more than I should until I feel sick. And I keep doing it. I feel so at a loss.

11 hours ago, awillaweigh328 said:

I wasn't diagnosed pre-op but I know for a fact I had a food addiction and was beginning a binge/purge cycle. I had been doing pretty well and was being super strict with myself for about 5 months. For the last 3, I've been telling myself 'one won't kill me', or 'I'll just work it off later'. But that, just a few bites of chips or Pasta have turned into binge fests where I eat more than I should until I feel sick. And I keep doing it. I feel so at a loss.

Have you tried over-eaters anonymous ? Or counselling ? I think near everyone that seeks out WLS, has an eating disorder (including myself). We have to find something to do instead of eating when triggers are set off. I know it's easier said then done, I hope you get a handle on it though, remember why you did this in the 1st place. Maybe try keeping a journal . Good luck to you.

Hang in there and know that you are not alone. I also started messing up after 7 months of eating perfectly to plan. I'm not 100% on track but I'm trying. When I don't eat well I tell myself its OK to start again next meal or next bite! :) I am really hard on myself which is counter productive. Give yourself a fresh start otherwise you can fall in to a guilt cycle that feels hopeless.

I also have some go to meals that I enjoy (egg white omelettes with veggies and LF cheese) and SF chai tea. The key for me not to overeat is to throw the food away as soon as I feel satisfied - NOT full. I LOVE :( eating so it's hard not to keep eating. I tell myself - Don't stretch your stomach. You can eat again later. It's really important to get physically away from the food so I stop eating.

You made a huge step with WLS and that shows that you are committed to a healthier lifestyle. We are here for you! You can do this!!

It is hard enough without us being so very hard on ourselves. I can actually say that I was told before my RNY that in time there are no forbidden foods, that I need to learn to have things in Moderation. Now I'm not saying this mind attitude works for everyone but....for myself if I try to not hve a small treat once and awhile I go BALISTIC!!! It works for me!! Now I am 3 and 1/2 years out and I have maintained 124#'s for 3 years. I lost 132#'s in 6 months. But I did have a 8# gain after that. I had Strictures and was unabe to eat much of anything..I couldn't even hold down Water. I had 5 endoscopes with 4 dialations. It started around my first couple of months out. I really feel like my lack of hunger (I still am not hungery) and my exercise has been my saving grace. Each of us have to find our nook and work it hard. I have tried counsiling because thru it all I ended up with a adversion to food. Eating used to be so enjoyable now it isn't on the top of my list. The counselor didn't help me much at all. I started with a local councilor that didn't have a clue what WLS was all about. I contacted myy Surgeon to get a Baritaric cousilor. Well her anwser was she wanted me to eat every 1/2 hour that I was awake!! Talk about getting frusterated and kind of hurt my heart!! Like I told my hubby, I refuse to trade oned eating disorder for another and become a grazer!! I had to work it out for myself and that is exactly what each of us need to do. It is not a one size fits all!! Kind of likke the clothes that say one size fits all. What works for me may not work for you. Please be kind to yourself we all have had so many negative things done in our lives. Take care of YOU!! And KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

I just went to the coffee house with my kids. It's a treat and I thought Ill share a brownie with my son. Well he didn't want any and during our time there I got stressed about something and ate the whole thing and now I feel stuffed and guilty. I need to go back and read what I wrote a few hours ago. This is a life long struggle with ups and downs. I'll keep at it, but its hard... The good thing is the surgery kept me from eating more than one; and also I would've had a large sugary coffee drink before surgery; so I guess I should look at the bright side.

I'm a tad frustrated that all the experts believes that every fat person or previous fat person has some type of emotional issue that can be fixed with counseling. What if you don't believe a counselor can fit you?

I'm in the category of testing my sleeve after reaching goal. I am good about not introducing carbs back in my diet (other than an occasional tablespoon of Pasta, which I adhere to), but I have tested my sleeve with red wine and often binge on soft caramels or chocolate). And its worse, when I step on the scale and do not see it go up.

Sure I'd like to know why I would do this,..... food addiction, yep likely. Stress eater, definitely. But I do not see what a professional could do for me. I had a great and normal childhood, I have great responsible adult children; not so great relationships with men in general (yet nothing I can pinpoint), generally life is good. So I've read some recommended books that discuss why we eat, how to stop that behavior, etc. I know the lists of things to do to replace stress eating. Don't work for me.

I'm nervous about my future with food. I will have my last appointment in a couple of months, with my surgeon and my nutritionist.

I'm a tad frustrated that all the experts believes that every fat person or previous fat person has some type of emotional issue that can be fixed with counseling. What if you don't believe a counselor can fit you?
I'm in the category of testing my sleeve after reaching goal. I am good about not introducing carbs back in my diet (other than an occasional tablespoon of Pasta, which I adhere to), but I have tested my sleeve with red wine and often binge on soft caramels or chocolate). And its worse, when I step on the scale and do not see it go up.
Sure I'd like to know why I would do this,..... food addiction, yep likely. Stress eater, definitely. But I do not see what a professional could do for me. I had a great and normal childhood, I have great responsible adult children; not so great relationships with men in general (yet nothing I can pinpoint), generally life is good. So I've read some recommended books that discuss why we eat, how to stop that behavior, etc. I know the lists of things to do to replace stress eating. Don't work for me.
I'm nervous about my future with food. I will have my last appointment in a couple of months, with my surgeon and my nutritionist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm with you, I've known people that quit drinking cold turkey too (after years of abuse) they never seen a counsellor ....they aren't for everyone, and let's face it, we all know councillors that their own lives are a mess...lol

Maybe consider attending the OA meetings. It's great to post here, many can understand, but in a group setting where people are striving to overcome the addictions and accepting they have it - they really get to the meat of the matter and some can abstain from certain behaviors. All food addicts struggle with different addictions, no two are alike. And they all have different reasons for their addictions.

If a group setting isn't your thing, you can find a therapist that can help you with your binging and also help you understand why you have it so that you can better overcome and let go of it.

It's natural to feel what you're feeling, most people, myself included, have these thoughts. It's a matter of understanding yourself and your body, what works for you.

I just love rich fried foods and anything luxurious and indulgent. I understand my addiction controls me. I leave it out of my hands and stick to a eating regimen that is conducive to my health.

My addiction was more like a snowball affect, and eventually I realized the more I gave into it, the worse off I viewed myself, causing me to want to eat me.

In the esteemed words of Fat Bastard (Austin Powers)

"I can't stop eating. I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's someone I'd like to get in touch with and forgive. Myself."

lol

On 5/27/2017 at 9:59 AM, trekker954 said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Counseling can be a great tool for a lot of people and at during different times in your life. But I have never felt that MY food issues could be helped with counseling. I've been prone to overeating since early childhood and believe it is the dopamine high that I'm addicted to. Watch little kids, some just enjoy eating more than others.

I do believe that cognitive behavior therapy can help us to learn new behaviors and overcome food addiction. check out the Beck diet solution. I've been loosely following some of her advice to keep my head straight.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Counseling can be a great tool for a lot of people and at during different times in your life. But I have never felt that MY food issues could be helped with counseling. I've been prone to overeating since early childhood and believe it is the dopamine high that I'm addicted to. Watch little kids, some just enjoy eating more than others.
I do believe that cognitive behavior therapy can help us to learn new behaviors and overcome food addiction. check out the Beck diet solution. I've been loosely following some of her advice to keep my head straight.

I was the same way as a kid, how strange. I can't say what did it exactly, eventually I just felt I could never get enough of eating. I have never eaten out of sadness, if rarely. Usually more when I'm happy or celebrating.

I doubt counseling works for everyone but it's worth a shot. OA helped for a while but I hated hearing the griping after a year. I had the literature and sometimes give it a once over. Group settings aren't for everybody. Counseling is ok. It didn't do much for me but feel fun to chit chat after a while. I never went to counseling for my weight though, that wouldn't work. I think cognitive self help books are hit or miss also. Some self help can be harmful if the person has deeper issues. Not a fan unless a person already has pinpointed the issue and is reading how to change or dissolve it.

I think the bottom line is the person has to want to help their self, and be sick and tired enough to do it and not look back.