Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

heavy period = iron deficiency anemia now?

Okay so after having maybe 2 light periods a year for the last 7 years thanks to the weight gain and PCOS, I have had a period the last 3 months. First month was pretty 'normal', last month was SUPER heavy, and this month has been pretty heavy as well. I've noticed last month and this month that I'm very, VERY drained and tired, and very spacey. I feel very out of it, and like I'm a walking zombie. My blood tests have all been normal since surgery (the last were done 5 months ago, though, so I ordered new ones). I'm fearing that I'm now experiencing iron-deficiency anemia due to these heavy periods. While yes I'm going to speak with my doctor about it and have the blood tests done, I want to know if anyone else has experienced this? If so, other than supplements (I will happily add the Iron patch Vitamin if I need to), what have you found to help in the moment when you're feeling super sluggish because of it?

I know even when I had a regular period as a teenager (I didn't start showing signs of PCOS/lose my period until I was 20, and I'll be 27 soon), that I was never this rundown and tired. This feels like something is wrong. That's the only reason I started questioning it and researching.

I wish I had something to contribute here regarding irregular periods and weight loss, But I've always been regular and your symptoms sound like my regular periods. ? Could be that your body is just having regular periods now. Unfortunately they're heavy. But if not, I hope you find some answers and relief. If you don't take Iron now, it might help to start.

Edited by Newme17

I think your periods would have to be extremely heavy to take you from normal Iron levels to anemia in such a short time. I guess the question is how heavy is "heavy"?

Rechecking your blood work sounds wise, especially since you generally aren't feeling great. And adding an iron supplement won't hurt or just boosting the iron in your diet.

The period I had last month was the heaviest I've ever had. I leaked through absolutely everything. And everything i was using were overnight items that should've been able to hold up. They'd last about 2-3 hours, max. This one isn't as heavy, yet, but still heavier than what use to be my norm. I'm wondering if since my body isn't use to the 'loss of blood' anymore, that it could've taken a nosedive quicker than normal. Guess that'll be a question for my doc once the test results come back if it does show one.

Go get checked! I bled that first month after surgery so bad that I ended up needing a blood transfusion (3 units)!! I lost half my blood volume in 72 hours, I was critical. I still need Iron transfusions to this day because the IUD only lessoned the bleeding but my body has not been able to recover. I'm having a hysterectomy in 2 weeks. [emoji17]
I have bad PCOS and I'm only 37. Thankful I have my baby already.
Provera and Lysteda worked well for the bleeding. They might try that route or an IUD works on most people just not me. If you feel it's too low go get checked!! I almost waited too late.
Also I couldn't walk or stand to shower. I had a fast heart rate and low blood pressure. I was pale as a ghost! Don't wait till you are at that point. Obviously my story is rare but it's important to listen to your body!
Try taking extra iron now until you can get your appointment. Eat lots of spinach and leafy greens. Look up foods that are high in iron. Hopefully you can get to the doctor soon. Good luck!!

Oh god, I'm so sorry. That's horrible. Yeah, I haven't had babies yet as this surgery was a key to me being able to restore my period and hopefully regain ovulation. So yes, I will be going in soon!

See a doctor. My sister was having a really heavy period...and we found her passed out on the bathroom floor. We rushed her to the hospital where they found she had a blood count of 3, needed a hysterectomy, and had a tumor. She nearly died.

If the heavy periods is just the result of weight loss hormones (and this happens) look into getting birth control that stops periods until you're at goal.

After surgery, my bloodwork showed that I was deficient in Iron. There are different types of Iron supplements. The chemistry my surgeon's office recommended was Ferrous Sulfate for best absorption. I take a 65 mg dose daily. So I do not see any harm in taking these short term until you can see your doctor, have blood drawn and analyzed and find a long term solution.

I have it set for blood draw in the morning. So we'll see if it's the Iron or not. Either way, I'll make an appointment after I get that done. I don't want to take any iron supplements until then just so there's no chance of an inaccurate reading when I do take the test.

Okay thanks to those that posted!!

Blood work came back. Iron levels are perfect. It's my Vitamin D that's low and I'm on the lower end of the spectrum (but still normal) of B12. So apparently with those two things happening, it's causing exhaustion, and I'm going to bet that the heaviness of my first real period in years just took its toll on me. So now I'm just working on getting my Vitamin D back up. I'm almost positive it's because our winter here has been one for the history books where there was no sun, lots of snow, and we were stuck inside a lot. Which isn't normal for around here. So I'm going to do what I can food wise, and see how it improves with more exposure to sun and whatnot as Spring kicks into gear.