Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some questions regarding post-surgery

I posted this in the Canada forums but thought I would put it here too in case there is anyone that might have information that doesn't browse the Canada forums.

So last night I was explaining the surgery, etc to my mom and she had a couple of pretty legitimate questions which I was hoping perhaps someone here could help out with.

1) If I get my surgery done out of Province/Country - currently looking into going to Dr.Kirshenbaum in Colorado - and self paying as BC Med does not cover it - nor does my extended medical through work . . what happens if something goes wrong during the surgery such as lets say for example: a heart attack (for lack of something better, unlikely since I'm 25 but it's the first thing to pop into my mind) and now they are treating me for that - Will I be getting hospital bills up the wazoo?

2) So say I get my surgery done whether it be Toronto, Colorado, wherever (basically anywhere out of Province) if there is some sort of issue with it that requires emergency rectification that I cant make it back to the original surgeon in time to deal with - would I have to pay my local hospital the cost of having to deal with it? And would they just remove it?

3) Similar to question 2 - if you have to have a port replaced or anything of the sort done due to errosion, slippage, etc. and you go back to your original surgeon - do you have to pay for that too? Or is it considered "warranty"?

Thanks for helping with my questions grin.gif

You have to read your individual insurance policies and ask questions up front with your doctor to get many of the questions answered as most all have different policies of some sort or another, at least in my experiences.

My insurance has a clause that disallows any bariatric surgery. It goes on to say that any condition they can show is a result of bariatric surgery is not covered as well. At first, that was my biggest concern. But, I finally got the mindset that complications of this surgery are not that high and the outcome far outweighed the risk.

Although it is individual policy again, I would think if something did happen during surgery and you were hospitalized for it - you would be responsible for the bill - whether your insurance covered the expense or not.

Also, I know a guy that went from KC to Memphis to have RuinY (sp) and had to stay two weeks. When he came home, he had complications the next week and had to be hospitalized here in KC. It was a new hospital, new doctor and with that came all new bills.

Good luck with your decision and your health.

dab

Thanks for the response, it's a bit different as I would be coming from Canada where we dont really "buy insurance" as we have the government healthcare (which does not cover Banding). I'll have to look into travel medical insurance I think and see what that covers.

Hey Ang1982 - I don't really have the answers to your questions but I did want to input on your 3rd question. I have seen two other people on LBT that went to Dr. K and ended up with a port problem (leak/flip) and as far as I know he fixed them for free. I asked Dr. K during my consult about the other problems and he said he has never had an erosion or slippage on any of his paitents, but considering how I have been wonderfully treated by him and all of his staff, I believe if a problem did arrise the cost to fix it with Dr. K would be minimal if anything.

You might check your insurance and see what kind of "out of network" coverage you have because with my insurance even though I went out of state for the band they would have covered any problems, just at a lesser rate. Good Luck to you!

Thanks for the reply! It's great to see responses from patients of Dr Kirschenbaum.

I guess its just scary to think you can put out so much money up front and still have the possibility of having to pay MUCH more later if something goes wrong ya know?:faint:

Hello there I am from BC and I am having my surgery tomorrow! I am a self-pay as well. There are two surgeons in Vancouver who currently preform the lapband surgery. It took four months from start to finish to get this far. I was tempted to travel south and get the surgery done in Washington state, as it would have gotten done sooner. However, I know that if something went seriously wrong and I needed medical help ASAP it would most likely be covered by our medical care in Canada. Downside- the band may not be recoverable if you needed serious surgery. When I was choosing between Canada and the US I called the clinic and talked to them about this very issue and they informed me that if there were problems that there would be out of pocket expenses, because I had no medical insurance. I did not want to go bankrupt, so I made my choice based solely on that fact alone. After the payment everything is covered because in Canada once the surgeon operates on you he must continue care without payment. That is why that insist on payment upfront.

I would stayed in Canada because it is safer in the long run. Also if something goes wrong my doctor is closer.

As for the last question...if they have to replace parts and do more work...you will have out-of-pocket expenses for that.

(THE FREE PART was if you have actual complications from the surgery...)