Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was The Final Straw

When while on a train, a women asked if I wanted to sit down because she thought I was pregnant, when my blood pressure and sugar went up and up and up, when I had to buy a size 20/2x/3x in clothes, when I was mistaken for an even bigger person I know, when extended family told me I was fat ( cultural thing-they think they can say what they want), when I couldn't keep up with my children while playing, when I realized that if I didn't lose the weight I could get hurt while working, when I started to get depressed and didn't want to go to social functions...Why it took so much I don't know... but I thank the man above everyday that I had the strength and faith to believe and go through with it.

I am so happy and feel great now. Low blood pressure. Low sugar. Love getting up in the morning. 267 to 178 now! Sleeved 09/06/16.Great question @ clevergirl!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

During a neighborhood BBQ, when I saw an acquaintance who used to be about the same weight as me, close to 300. She had lost like 160 lbs and looked great. She also seemed extremely happy.

I wanted that for myself, so I did something about it :)

So many things...

- not being able to strap the seat belt on a go-kart with my kids

- having my knees creak everytime I walk up and down the stairs

- being afraid to do something like skiing or roller skating because if I fell it would be too hard to get back up

- being put on high blood pressure medication

- realizing that I've been obese for almost 30 years (I'm only 37!!)

- trying to take a walk with my friends, and running out of breath before we even make the first lap

- being afraid to attempt rides at the amusement park because I didn't think I would fit

- taking my kids to Disney and being unable to keep up with them

- hating every picture I see of myself

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I was in a department store looking at costume jewelry.

I overheard two women, early twenties, talking to each other. The one said to her friend, "If I was as fat as her, I'd kill myself."

It was so hurtful. Never knew how cruel people could be right to another person's face - at least not since middle school.

I felt sub-human.

I overheard two women, early twenties, talking to each other. The one said to her friend, "If I was as fat as her, I'd kill myself."

It was so hurtful. Never knew how cruel people could be right to another person's face - at least not since middle school.

I felt sub-human.

wow I'm so sorry for you having to hear that!!! How cruel!!!

HW 289 CW 230 bypass 11/22/16

When I went to be with my brother and his family for Christmas 2014 and my 16 year old niece begged me to wait in the car while she ran into the grocery store. I realized she was embarassed to be seen with me. My heart broke that day. I contacted the nearest Bariatric Clinic when I got home. She graduates this June and it will be 3 years since I have seen her and hope to be down 100# by then. My heart still hurts when I think about it.

I felt sub-human.

It is hard for me to understand the cruelty of others, I am so sorry this happened. You are on your way to a better, healthier life now and that is what matters!!

Tipped over to the diabetic side. Feet went numb, burned, and felt like pins sticking in them.

Had hard time getting up and down stairs. Looking in the mirror. Had thought about the lap band

and went to a seminar 15 years ago, but decided not to. Last year was thinking about how regular

hygiene was getting difficult. So I googled " how do fat people cleanse themselves" and came across

this url "http://thoughtcatalog.com/hok-leahcim/2014/06/23-obese-people-reveal-the-struggles-only-they-can-understand/" It was so sad, but true. Then I had to get checked by my gastro dr. for and EGD for GERD and

a colonsocopy. He mentioned the Sleeve. I looked up sleeves at the Cleveland Clinic, an the next week they were

having a seminar not too far from where I live. So I went to it and signed up to be a candidate. Right around that time my wife's best friend had just gotten sleeved and I asked her some questions. It REALLY helped having someone

who went through it to bounce questions off of. My wife has been very supportive which really helps a lot.

I was struggling with daily life... activities... everything was such a chore because I was so overweight.

I was already seeing my surgeon and had been for 2 years. Two years ago I had a colon resection which landed me in the hospital for 2 whole months. Recovery time was so slow in part because of the fact that I weighed over 300 pounds. After that surgery, I lost weight and made it down to 278. I felt quite a bit better, but I wound up gaining the weight back plus some and my new high weight became 334 pounds. I was still seeing my surgeon at that time (6 months after my colon surgery), because I still had an opening (hole) in my stomach that just wouldn't heal up. I was still dealing with a lot of pain. Finally, nine months after that surgery the hole in my tummy closed. But it still hurt to move... .and I couldn't exercise because of it. The weight wasn't moving no matter how hard I tried to lose it.

Then, I developed 2 incisional hernias that sent me to the ER 4 times within a 4 month period. My surgeon finally asked me would I consider WLS. I said I had thought about it, but I didn't think my insurance would cover it. We looked into it, and my insurance covered it. So that was what made my mind up. I was ready. Besides, my surgeon cannot do the hernia surgery until I lose 100 pounds. So that was some really good motivation.

Now I am down 64 pounds since he told me I needed to lose 100 pounds. I only have 40 pounds to go, and then I can get these painful hernias fixed. Plus, I am feeling a lot better in general and am even able to exercise for the first time in years!

Woohoo! I have no regrets at all about getting the sleeve.

Edited by mylighthouse

Being last trimester pregnant and No one being able to tell because my stomach wasn't pregnant round.. it just looked fat!

When my son told me That the neighbor kids call me big momma..

I'm currently in the kaiser options program hoping that I get my surgery in march..

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I been struggling with my weight since 2008 when I was at my peak weight which was 230 lbs +. I exercised, dieted, purchased weight loss pills, etc... I lost some weight but for some reason I can not get below 197 lbs. I needed help. I spent thousands of dollars in weight loss programs the beginning of 2015. Last year I went as far as to use laxatives to try to lose weight. I had an accident at work and it was embarrassing (pooped in my pants). I googled weight loss surgery & assumed I wouldn't be a candidate because I don't need to lose over 100 lbs. I found out after researching that my insurance covers WLS. I still had my doubts but I made the appointment & got approved for WLS since my BMI is 41. I'm glad I did not let my doubts get to me.

Height 5'0"

Weight for consultation: 216 lbs.

Pre-op Weight: Unknown until January 20th.

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

I felt sub-human.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I had something like that happen to me at Target when I was near my heaviest (540). The girl who worked at Starbucks called out to the security guard who was 15 feet away from her "I didn't know you had a girlfriend" and he was like "what are you talking about" and she just pointed at me while I walked out. I was devastated. I didn't want to go back to that store for a long time. I did call the manager though.

Edited by Dashofpixiedust8

I felt sub-human.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I had something like that happen to me at Target when I was near my heaviest (540). The girl who worked at Starbucks called out to the security guard who was 15 feet away from her "I didn't know you had a girlfriend" and he was like "what are you talking about" and she just pointed at me while I walked out. I was devastated. I didn't want to go back to that store for a long time. I did call the manager though.
That's awful that you guys had to hear those things. This is why i always wear headphones when i can. I got fed up of hearing guys and people snicker behind me. Made me paranoid i was being laughed at. When i wear my headphones i don't think about it. Just get lost in my music.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Torriluv87

Prediabetic blood test results although A1C was normal. Then this article was the tipping point. I had looked into surgery about 5 years ago and lost weight on my own and decided against it. Now I was higher than I was before I started the process last time. This article really made me ready: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

I'm so glad I started when I did because my life took a very major different course just 5 days later but I haven't looked back and I'm so glad about where I am!