Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Letting go things I love

I am new to the the forum. I am so scared that I will miss things I love so much. Stuff I believe keeping me fat. I don't want to give up an occasional glass of wine. A nice sandwich from time to time. Or even a slice of pizza. This is my dilemma. I am clearef for surgery on the 23 rd of January. I want this so bad but I don't want to let go stuff I enjoy sometime. Iam 5'3". I weight 216 lbs. Tried every diet in the book. Nothing worked for me so is there anyone that could shed some light on how I am feeling

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

I'm three and a half years out and I have a glass of wine or two pretty regularly. I can't eat a whole sandwich, but I can usually eat most of a half if I take the top bread off, and I have a leftover half for the next day. As for pizza? I can eat a slice of thin crust, but I usually choose just to eat the toppings. and a bite of crust.

I can do all of the above while wearing my size 8 skinny jeans, or a tankini at the pool without feeling self conscious. I can wear heels all day without killing my feet. I can shop at any store now and I can buy clothes off the rack without trying them on.

So no, I've lost nothing but gobs of fat. The ginormous quantities of food? I don't miss that at all.

It's nice to know that I will be able to eat a small portion and feel full. I overeat everything!! Until now I never held myself accountable for my eating habits. Now I think about everything before I eat it and decide if that's what I want to use my caloric intake for. I still catch myself trying to stop from binging and it's very hard because it seems like the food makes me feel comfortable until I'm done and sick to my stomach. Did anyone else have this problem before surgery, sometimes I worry that the surgery won't help me either and my mom says it's all in my head and I don't need surgery, I know she's very misinformed and won't even read more about it because she is just adamant about me not to have the wls. I am doing it anyway, because either way I will never know what I could possibly accomplish unless I give it a try.

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

@@pvechiola

I must ask after reading several of your recent posts...

Do you retract your statement to the 28 year old who was researching surgery? It seems as if you don't care for people suggesting you look at non-surgical options.

You hurled out a pretty ugly insult at a vet who asked you a similar question, so if you're about to hit me with one, I'm ready.

:)

I found a body pic to aspire too and made it my screensaver and put a picture of myself at 21 on my fridge, keeps me motivated when I want to go off the program. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

Pray, Speak, Do! ~Meesh~

I am new to the the forum. I am so scared that I will miss things I love so much. Stuff I believe keeping me fat. I don't want to give up an occasional glass of wine. A nice sandwich from time to time. Or even a slice of pizza. This is my dilemma. I am clearef for surgery on the 23 rd of January. I want this so bad but I don't want to let go stuff I enjoy sometime. Iam 5'3". I weight 216 lbs. Tried every diet in the book. Nothing worked for me so is there anyone that could shed some light on how I am feeling

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

Been there I had to do a month liquid diet I was sleeved 12/28/16 I forgot about all the food I craved nothing since even if I wasn't ready for change u can hardly eat anything in the beginning I think all the things u think u couldn't give up will be a thing of the past I looked at it like this I yo yo dieted my whole life for the first time in my live I have control of the situation I think u will do just fine good luck

I'm only four months out (as of Monday,) but I have no restrictions on anything to eat and am medically cleared to do whatever I want (not being an a** about food, but nothing is off limits.)

My tastes really have changed for the better, and it's a relief not to feel compelled to stuff myself. French fries still call out to me, and I have to resist them if I'm in that setting, but hamburger sits like lead in my stomach now. Buns are a gross waste of carbs and not appealing.

Wine tastes off to me.

Fried food tastes gross.

Ice cream gives me diarrhea.

I look at everything I eat now with fresh eyes. I have so few calories/protein/carbs to work within the parameters of my program to lose weight, I really weigh if something is worth it to me.

Really, the biggest challenge isn't giving up certain favorite foods, but not letting myself get too hungry so I make a bad choice. This is a behavioral pattern that I need to break.

I have literally changed my job shift, childcare, and school setting for my children in order to have more control over my diet and health. I know that's not an option for everyone, but for me, I needed to set myself up for success and put my health and sanity back on the priority list.

Our home isn't as clean as it used to always be. The laundry isn't always folded. The dishwasher is now often cluttered and needs to be emptied . . . but now I'm working out at the gym 3-4x a week, walking my kids to and from preschool, and trying out new recipes that are healthier, cooking for the week ahead of time so I'm not caught unprepared.

My car has emergency Protein shakes in case I'm out running errands later than expected. I keep Crystal Light iced tea mixed in the fridge at all times and challenge myself to have a massive jug of it every day by noon so I'm not peeing at night.

I go to bed at 8 p.m. with the kids so I make sure I get in a good 6-8 hours of sleep a night. I'm using my CPAP machine.

In the long run, getting off CPAP, BP meds, and the joy I get from donating trash bags of clothes every month far outweighs any food love.

I know, pre-op, you can't imagine NOT being controlled totally by food. I was, too. But it IS so much easier after surgery to resist the stuff that will derail you. WLS won't do it all for you, but it's a huge help to implement new changes that stick.

I am a "foodie" and love to host, cook, and try new restaurants, but now I really enjoy the healthy options and try them out so I can see if I can replicate them at home later on with new ideas. The bread basket is just bread, not doughy salvation the way it was before, loaded with butter.

Pasta sits like lead in my gut, and I really love spiraling my zucchini as spaghetti with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce. I made that for myself for lunch today, the family got it with whole grain Pasta. No biggie to substitute veggies for me and still join in the fun.

You can eat pizza again. I hate cauliflower, so I don't anticipate ever loving one of the diet-friendly versions made with veggie crust, but I eat the toppings off one and have a bite or two of the crust, and that's very satisfying for me.

Also, pizza used to be a binge-type food, eating 3+slices at a whack. Now, it tastes good -- but not as good as it once did. This, to me, is a gift.

I used to hate salmon, and now I'm eating it almost every day for lunch. Go figure. You will get new food obsessions, and they will probably be things you never dreamed of liking beforehand. It's okay!

I was worried pre-op as well, and during the two-week liquid diet I was CRAVING my favorites, in particular chicken parm, oh man I was craving it every night, I was miserable. And then after the surgery it was like someone flicked a switch in my brain, and I have absolutely zero cravings for that stuff. I used to get a chicken parm with angelhair Pasta from my local place and eat the whole thing (and it was big) plus the half a bread loaf they included. Just thinking about it now makes me feel ill. First, there's no way I could physically eat more than a few bites with my smaller stomach. More importantly, I just don't have any desire for it. It's weird, but I definitely don't miss my favorite foods the way I thought I would. pizza is another one. I used to eat pizza all the freaking time. All my life. One year I think I ate pizza for lunch every single weekday. Over the last few years I'd probably eat it a few times a week. Now, I don't miss it at all. I'm sure in a few months when I'm cleared for regular food I'll try a slice just to see how it tastes, but I have no urge for it.

While you're worrying now, just say to yourself - Nothing, NOTHING tastes as good as skinny feels.