Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food addiction How do you deal

Its definitely a mental thing for me I was sleeved on 10/12/16 and I was so hurt when I came home I thought the surgery would take away my desire for food completely however it actually made me realize I had a real problem with food. I never noticed how much I consumed since I struggled with weight my whole life. My parents always made us finish our plates before we got up. And I do the same to my children what they didnt eat I would cuz I couldn't stand the thought if wasting food or throwing it away... After surgery I was chewing up food and spitting it out. Food was everywhere, TV commercials, fliers, fast food restaurants on every corner or billboard I just couldn't focus... Long story short preparation works keep a lunch box with the right things such as yogurt, string cheese, boiled eggs, turkey, Peanut Butter, Jerky, slim jims, ect whatever is healthy that u can tolerate set alarms on your phone to eat nd drink every couple of hours so u dont get hungry nd find something else to focus on reading or exercise work for Me. When I'm going to the gym regularly I dont won't to mess up all my hard work by eating poorly. It does get better but we all have to do our Part our surgery's are not cure alls but helping tools.

Sent from my N9518 using the BariatricPal App

I agree with this 1000%. It's definitely all a mental thing.. & it's exhausting. I'm getting better about ignoring my head hunger. I tried to eat juice out of the Beans we cooked and my stomach hurt, like I over ate... which wound up terrifying me that I messed up my sleeve so now I'm afraid to eat Jello or popsicles.. anything. I'm even afraid I'm taking to big of sips. I won't lie, before surgery ; during the liquid diet.. I went through that horrible horrible stage of chewing food and spitting it out. Horrible habit but I just needed the comfort.. after surgery I'm very nervous everything I even take a drink. So hopefully thats keeps me from eating alot.. but still the head hunger is definitely there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

Breanna I remember being scared I messed up my sleeve too. Im still learning but I know its about pacing ourselves a lot of things will be trial and error but We still have to eat or your body will shut down and go into starvation mode. Have to find the right balance and sipping thru a straw helps me too. Good luck you can do it

I highly recommend therapy if you have access. I started working with a therapist about my food issues before surgery, and it's made a world of difference.

I saw someone as well pre-surgery and I'm definitely looking into it more now that I've realized the extent of it. I'm an emotional eater. I eat when I'm sad, happy, bored, ect but now I am aware and working on it.

Are u still on puree foods or solids? In the beginning I could only tolerate small amounts of creamed Soup, Jello, broth, yogurt .. Its really trial and error Go at your own pace. Good luck

I am really battling head hunger and have known that I have a food addiction for a long time. I really have to work on slowing down as I don't want to mess up my sleeve and I'm only 3 weeks out

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My first strategy when I feel "head hunger" is to sip on a glass of cold Water.

My second strategy is to chew on a strong minty gum...this really curbs my urge to snack.< /p>

Was looking for support and found this thread! Almost like fate!

I need help! I "binged" today... of course it's not like I at a TON, but still not what I want!! I don't know what to do anymore when I get those insatiable cravings! Any tips??

Sarah, How far out are you? I've done it too and felt super bad afterwards; it's what made me realize I really had a problem if I could do that after having this surgery something I wanted for so long. I cried and wrote down what I was feeling. It will get better don't be discouraged and stop trying you just have to figure out what works for you, I set alarms to remind me to eat and drink every couple of hours so I don't get hungry and make bad choices. I also find other activities to do to keep my busy so I'm not constantly thinking bout food, I'd also recommend a therapist or just having someone to talk to in general about what your going thru it helps to say it out loud or like I said write it down and re-read it to yourself will make up re-think the next time you feel the urge to do so. I literally had to start getting into the habit of throwing food away that was unhealthy or leftovers my kids didnt eat just so I wouldn't eat it. I hope some of this helps you. Good luck

You are SO right. It was about 10 months post op when I had reached my goal and realized that the same old food issues were still here, I was just a much thinner person with an added layer of being terrified of regaining them, facing the issues. At that point I started going to therapy every single week with an eating disorder therapist. It's been over 3 years and I still go! It's made all the difference. I think the first step is doing just what you are - realizing there is a problem and trying to figure out how to fix it! Reach and get some professional help. I also found the books by Geneen Roth, particularly "When food is Love", to be very helpful.

I am really battling head hunger and have known that I have a food addiction for a long time. I really have to work on slowing down as I don't want to mess up my sleeve and I'm only 3 weeks out

It gets easier with time. I think in the beginning its just a compulsion and all we think about because what we just went thru but its really passing now. Honestly I barely think about it now nd only eat to fuel my body its like a chore now