Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance coverage of band to sleeve?

Anyone have advice/experience with changing from band to sleeve after band complications and no longer working? Wondering if insurance covers band removal and sleeve procedure if the band slipped and no longer works after revision surgery to repair.

Depends on the insurance, but I have Blue Cross in CA, through the NASI union benefits and I have a slipped band (banded 2009) and was approved for a sleeve revisions surgery at the standard percentage of coverage for my plan. It is possible but a lot of insurance out there and its hard to give a blanket answer. Maybe if you said what insurance you had someone else might have specific information for you. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

My Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC does cover it. I just had band to duodenal switch revision on 12/26

Katy W- Louisburg, NC

Lapband revision to VSG with DS

HW- 297

Weight at Surgery-279

CW- will update at two week appt

I have BCBS TN and my revision process was pretty smooth. My first consultation about revision was September 26. My surgery was December 15. It was actually easier to get the revision approved than my initial surgery. What I would advise is call you insurance company and ask them to send you the specific criteria for bariatric procedures. Know your specific policy, and advocate for yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

My revision to correct the band slippage was covered by my BCBS of Minnesota. However, now that my band is not working AT ALL after the surgery to fix it....I wondered if insurance would cover the removal and change to the sleeve now. Also wondering how that process is as far as recovery time and starting to lose weight again. I've heard the sleeve isn't as effective after having the lap band, so that concerns me. Thanks for the replies!!!!

My revision to correct the band slippage was covered by my BCBS of Minnesota. However, now that my band is not working AT ALL after the surgery to fix it....I wondered if insurance would cover the removal and change to the sleeve now. Also wondering how that process is as far as recovery time and starting to lose weight again. I've heard the sleeve isn't as effective after having the lap band, so that concerns me. Thanks for the replies!!!!

I would say it would likely cover revision to another surgery if it covered the other. Again, though, that depends on your specific policy.

As for losing more slowly after revision, so far, that is not true for me. I am losing faster this time than I did with my lapband. I haven't updated my signature because I've not been on my laptop, but I always stayed between 270-265. I weighed 257 the morning of surgery (thanks preop diet!). My discharge notes have me weighing out at 268.4. Apparently fluids and swelling add a lot! Today, I'm 244.4. That's 24 pounds since I was discharged on 12/17. I know it will slow down, but I'll take it!

With my lapband, I started at 283 and got to 218 in less than a year. I don't remember exactly, but I'd say around 10 months. I maintained between 223-228 until I got pregnant. I gained to 244 with my pregnancy and was at 228 by the time she came home 2 months later. (She was a preemie; I had preeclampsia. I lost weight until the very end from hyperemesis gravidarum.) I had a complete due to the HG. Once she was born, I could not get a good level of reatriction. Also, I have Hashimotos and the stress from her birth and hospitalization sent that into a tailspin. My thyroid basically stopped functioning. So... I needed a revision to a metabolic surgery. That's my story.

Oh, and for recovery....a little worse than my band, but not by much. I'm just moving a little more slowly.