Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you ever...? (a bit gross)

Have you tried ice? sugar free candy? I honestly think abstinence is the best thing tho. As someone already mentioned, trading one bad habit for another isn't progress. Even QTR-nevermore's plant buying behavior is trading one obsession for another. I know, I have more African Violets than I have space for since having surgery! Hey, nevermore- like African Violets? :lol:

By spitting the food out, you may not be feeding yourself but you are feeding your addiction. It is a very slippery slope. I've done it as well. I had to reign myself back in.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You shouldn't assume that everyone who requires WLS is automatically a food addict.

If you were to take a normal weight person and force them on a month long liquid diet, do you think they might chew a favorite food and spit it out for the sensation? You better friggin' believe they would.

I realize it's not a healthy behavior and have no intentions on continuing, hence the frozen pickle juice.

Edited by White Sale

By spitting the food out, you may not be feeding yourself but you are feeding your addiction. It is a very slippery slope. I've done it as well. I had to reign myself back in.

You shouldn't assume that everyone who requires WLS is automatically a food addict.

If you were to take a normal weight person and force them on a month long liquid diet, do you think they might chew a favorite food and spit it out for the sensation? You better friggin' believe they would.

I realize it's not a healthy behavior and have no intentions on continuing, hence the frozen pickle juice.

I agree that not all fat people who seek WLS are food addicts, but I can tell you that without a doubt, not everyone who is on a month long liquid diet considers chewing and spitting.

I never considered it once as a fat person. It's extremely dangerous and a very slippery slope towards a real eating disorder. When you chew (or lick), your digestive system starts producing acid in anticipation of real food hitting your tummy in a few moments. When that doesn't happen, the excess acid is still hanging out with nothing to break down, so being bored, it works it's magic on the lining of your stomach. This could be ulcer territory you are headed into.

Chewing and spitting is also a mild form of bulimia.

No LOL about that. ;)

Agree to disagree, @LipstickLady.

If someone does an action once, how is that a 'slippery slope'? One point on a graph cannot be considered a slope. It was just an act. Address the issues surrounding the act. Was it merely a craving, is it constant, why that particular food?
It also helps to give some advice about how such actions may not be helpful immediate post op.

It's not the best. so you failed once, don't do it again. Your success depends on you

Ok, perhaps not everyone is addicted to food. I apologize if I've offended anyone. However, the taste will indeed create more cravings and triggers in your brain. I'm not here to insult anyone, I admitted that I had done it as well. It didn't end well for me. I had to up my discipline and put a stop to it. I think it's safe to say that a food addiction got MOST of us in the position that we were in prior to WLS. Frozen Pickle Juice sounds like an awesome way to satisfy that urge to crunch.

Don't do it. I had a friend who did this very soon after her RNY gastric bypass. Not only was it disgusting, she stopped losing and started gaining. Its not physical hunger causing this, its mental hunger. Find another distraction. Get up and move when you feel this way (we are less likely to be eating if we are standing and walking).

Good luck!

White Sale, you are at the beginning of a new lifetime of different choices than before surgery, personal choices, choices that will be consistently needed to be successful in your new journey. No one is purposely on your case, or judging you, or ragging on you. We are all here to help and support you and each other.

We all know the disability and pain of obesity, the horror of those inexorably creeping pounds, the feeling of the head suddenly pressurized and ready to pop off just from trying to reach to tie our shoes.

We have all felt the derisive looks, the sneers, the disgust, from others around us.

That is not what we do to each other here. We all are here to give our ideas, our collective experience and wisdom, our new hope, our blessings. Please accept our counsel when it is asked for, and accept us too. Friends tell the truth as we see it, and accept counsel when requested, and always extend helping hands. Friends?

The liquid diet was the hardest phase for me! I did not think of chewing and spitting, not sure I could've kept myself from swallowing, and then I'm sure I would have busted the whole diet.

You can get through this most difficult phase....it will get better!!

I've done it. I'm 13 days out of surgery and back to making food for my family. Sadly, food I cannot eat... (My husband cannot cook and they both have been suffering from eating easy to make meals for a few weeks now.).

So I made them some steak the other day and while I have been able to stay away from everything else the smell of that steak was killing me. So I did what I thought would help me. I chewed upon the steak and spit it out and fed it to my dog.

The psychologist once said if it is bothering you to the point you are obsessing over it. You can set idealistic goals for yourself on how to address your cravings. Now I'm sure they didn't mean 13 days post-OP but, it worked and after 4 bites and spitting it out I was satisfied.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I did the same thing. I chew it up and give to dog. I know it's a bad habit but once in a while it's ok.

I did dip a chips in Chuy's creamy jalapeño sauce and lick it off! Luckily the people I was with were OK with double dipping! I was on any an all food at 3 weeks, so not ever missing crunching.

Banded 2010 weight:327

Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253

CW: 230 GW: 155

Heather in Texas

I did it the first 2 weeks, only twice. I wanted to crunch and have salty pretzels in my mouth! Omg it was glorious! Anywho, now that I'm eating food, I haven't craved anything bad enough or even thought about it until reading this post. I'm doing fine and it helped me get through my weakness. I'm in no way advocating it, but I'm alive and losing so I guess it's not the worst thing I could have done.

I've done it. I'm 13 days out of surgery and back to making food for my family. Sadly, food I cannot eat... (My husband cannot cook and they both have been suffering from eating easy to make meals for a few weeks now.).

So I made them some steak the other day and while I have been able to stay away from everything else the smell of that steak was killing me. So I did what I thought would help me. I chewed upon the steak and spit it out and fed it to my dog.

The psychologist once said if it is bothering you to the point you are obsessing over it. You can set idealistic goals for yourself on how to address your cravings. Now I'm sure they didn't mean 13 days post-OP but, it worked and after 4 bites and spitting it out I was satisfied.

I did the same thing. I chew it up and give to dog. I know it's a bad habit but once in a while it's ok.

I'm now over a month post-OP and I can safely say that the chewing food and spitting out didn't become a habit. While it may have not been in my best interests at the time; I did solve that craving I had at that time.

I can see how it can lead to food eating disorders. So it most definitely can be a slippery slope for some.