Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My lap band journey

I have battled with my weight since I was young but pretty much kept it under control with working out and diet. Late 2009 I started having issues with my hips and was unable to walk more then just a few feet, so the weight just piled on was at my heaviest 312 I'm 5"7. My doctor recommended I have a bariatric consultant. At the time the way things went with the bariatric doctor it seemed like the magic pill we al dream of. Just one consult and I was underway to my upcoming surgery I had to lose 10% of my weight. Took me about 3 months and had my surgery January of 2011. I was outpatient surgery and was home by dinner. I have to say it was fairly easy very little pain, some shoulder gas pain I walked off. Being on the liquid diet the weight came off quick and I followed the liquid diet to a T. No issues weight came off and I was back to my normal activity within 2 weeks. Solid foods in the beginning where great small portions and chewed everything very carefully. Fast forward to 2014 I am down to 220 total weight loss 92 pounds feeling and looking great. Went from size 24 to 16. I had to watch everything I ate because the weight was creeping back so I went on weight watchers at this time I had put on about 25 pounds but back down to around 220. I never lost anymore weight. When I went back to my bariatric doctor for fills I was almost full...that's when things went down hill...after that I threw up every day every meal and still not weight loss but weight gain, then came the reflux...so bad I was taking medicine and eating bottles of tums every day, had to sleep with a wedge..but worse then that was my asthma was so bad, I was taking tons of prednisone my immunity was going down, I had thrush for five weeks...I was a mess, not to mention my weight was up to 263. My bariatric doctor said just go back on liquids I did but who can live on liquid for ever...finally my primary doctor got me a consultation with a different bariatric doctor and he was amazing ran test found out I had an ulcer around my band. I will not even do bands do to 50 % of patients having issues, I am no awaiting my insurance to authorize a band removal and revision to full gastric bypass...the band was a nightmare for me.., my band is open all the way now, my reflux and asthma is great! I've lost 8 pounds and going to meet with the nutritionist next month....

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thank you, I'm very excited with this new doctor, so much better then my last time!

Glad to read you are doing better. Everyone is different. The gastric band works for some and not others, which is the same with all the surgeries. So many factors impact success. Best wishes with your next surgery.

Banded 10/12/16

Good luck to you JacquieK.

I was banded in 2010, started at 260 with pre surgery weight of 245. I lost weight and was going great, but never got below 200 lbs. My Bariatric doctor moved his practice so I had 2 choices of doctors. Things were going well, so I didn't go to a new doctor for a while. (The next closest doctor was 1.5 hours away.) Fast forward a few years my weight crept up and my band was too tight. Met new doctor and took out some Fluid bc of pain and reflux. Still kind of in limbo bc of the distance to see the doctor and wanting to try another diet, (Which the new doc knew about), I finally came back to get back on track. All Fluid is out. Did tests on my band bc I want it out. Unfortunately, all they found was a small hernia and my insurance will only pay for revision if medically necessary. Surgeon thinks we should continue with the band. I'm meeting with them in a couple days to express my concerns with staying with the band. I'm the heaviest I've ever been. Just want the get this all resolved so I can get healthy and be able to keep up with my kids

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Bugaboo,

I feel what you are going through. This is the catch about getting the band removed: you either pay for it out of pocket,,,not an option or if your BMI is still high the insurance company will only cover if you have a revision which means they take out the bad and give you a full bypass! But my doctor showed me what needed to be done to remove the band and do the repairs wi h you end up having part of the stomach removed so I'm going to get the full bypass

I wish you much luck on your journey!

Here is just one sad story of a lap band surgery, much more like this on I lawsuit.com

People need to inform themselves of the long term out come like I didn't before they get banded!

My wife of 27 years had a lap band installed in 2007. By late 2011 she was becoming thinner and thinner. When she was at 140 she decided to have the band adjusted because she felt too thin. She was 5 feet 9 inches tall. After failing to gain weight she had the band adjusted a second time in 2012. She continued to lose weight and had the band adjusted a third time in March. Four months later, in July of 2013 she was so ill and under-nourished that she weighed 116 and was choughing up everything she tried to eat or drink. After nearly a week of being unable to eat anything without coughing it up, we took her to the hospital emergency room where they found her band had eroded through her stomach and into her diaphram and lung. She died after the surgery to remove the band. She had a massive infection and the surgeon said he found pus sacks on her heart sack. She was a registered nurse of over 30 years experience and died needlessly. She was a mother that left an 18 year old son without his best friend. We are devastated. I hope no one has the impression this procedure is without the ultimate risk of death. Did it work? Yes, she lost weight. She also lost her life.

I visited with the doctors this past week. They are putting into insurance to authorize band removal.

I'm so happy about that. I just need to wait 2-4 weeks to hear from them if insurance will approve. Then we will wait 3-6 months for everything to heal and try for revision. Not sure if I will go for a sleeve or bypass yet. One step at a time though. :)

Bugaboo

I'm glad thing are progressing. My doctor told me o could not have the sleeve. Reason is because of the area after

removal after bypass .

My doctor believes that he can do both at the same time which is good because I don't think I would go back again. Issue I'm having now is that my band is completely open do I'm eating breads and pastas that I haven't been able to keep down and my weight is going up. I need to start trying to eat better fell off the track with the holidays. Again good luck to you keep me posted.

J

I got the insurance approval for band removal! Whoop whoop! Feb 8 it comes out.

Hey great news! Are you going to have it removed only or a revision? And if so what are you having done!

I meet with the nutritionist the end of the month. I have been gaining weight since they took all the Fluid out of my band. Being able to eat bread and not throw every meal up has given me a free for all to eat! Have to slam on the breaks and start eating healthy again!

Update me when you can!

Congrats and prayers!

Thank you Ashley for your kind words and support!

Hey great news! Are you going to have it removed only or a revision? And if so what are you having done!

I meet with the nutritionist the end of the month. I have been gaining weight since they took all the Fluid out of my band. Being able to eat bread and not throw every meal up has given me a free for all to eat! Have to slam on the breaks and start eating healthy again!

Update me when you can!

Congrats and prayers!

I am hoping to get bypass in the near future. My surgeon takes the band out and lets things heal for 3-6 months before doing another surgery. He said it would help prevent leaks and such. My band is almost empty now, but I have been steadily gaining weight since they took most of my Fluid out. I have no restriction. This fluid has been out for 6 months or better now. I am back to my pre-band weight, and actually a little over already.