Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruits and Veggies?

I am 7 months out and 70 lbs down. After 6 months I can now eat more. Still doing Protein first. But adding veggies and some fruit (apples w/peanut butter and berries w/yogurt). Weight loss has slowed a bit. Did you add fruit and veggies and do you think these items helped or hurt your weight loss efforts?

I love fruits and veggies when will I be able to eat these types of food

You a r e adding calories so your weight loss will slow unless you choose low calorie options like cauliflower, carrots, squash.

I eat 1 to 2 servings a fruit a day but always along with Protein (like cheese). For example, today I had for a snack, half a grapefruit and a piece of string cheese. I know many successful people who are on a strict low carb. I'm a moderate carb diet, a more balanced diet. It's what seems to work with my body chemistry.

Note: I try to only eat my carbs later in the day, in the evening. A few studies showed that people who ate carbs at night vs the control group who ate carbs spaced out throughout the day, had an increase in their metabolism and lost more weight and body fat, also improving their hormonal profile.

Here is one of the studies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

I am 7 months out and 70 lbs down. After 6 months I can now eat more. Still doing Protein first. But adding veggies and some fruit (apples w/peanut butter and berries w/yogurt). Weight loss has slowed a bit. Did you add fruit and veggies and do you think these items helped or hurt your weight loss efforts?

I think people get so lost in the Protein first rule that they forget that vegetables are a vital part of our diet. They have so many good nutritional qualities and aid in good brain function & memory.

Yes, protein is essential for helping us feel fuller for longer, aiding in muscle and tissue repair etc, but I'm a true believer that our diets should be varied and include fruits, vegetables, and healthy, natural whole foods. (Just look at all the sleeved vegetarians getting their protein sources from veg etc).

Your body may not like the fruit? But I can't imagine you would gain weight from non starchy vegetables.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for the comments. I have been in a 3 week stall, and have to wonder if it is the fruits and veggies. Not sure. I agree that they are nutritious so it is hard for me to believe I need to cut them out. I am experimenting and will see what happens.

I never stopped eating fruits and veggies. Always got 60-80g of Protein, but I made sure I got a little something from every food group (yes, including whole grains) every day. Diluted fruit juice and V8 during liquid stage, bananas and peaches in my Protein shakes, mashed cauliflower, puréed fruit and flax seed in my Greek yogurt during puréed stage, Whole grain cereals and milk during soft food. Stayed away from veggies like peas, corn and potatoes, but ate a ton of spinach, Brussel sprouts, kale, green Beans, carrots and broccoli. Apples, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple On a regular basis.

I lost 160 pounds over 18 months. Would I have lost it faster without the fruits and veggies? Who knows. But I felt better giving my body the nutrition it needed.

Thank you Dairymary. I wondered if others had success while including fruits and veggies. Last week I upped my Protein with Protein shakes and more animal protein and it made me less hungry, so fewer fruits and veggies. Not sure if that was what helped, but down 3 lbs since then. I know I was getting more of my protein from dairy before and maybe my body just does better with animal protein. I had read another post where someone said she did better with animal protein as well. Wondering if there is something to that.

I don't eat fruit hardly at all. It is mostly sugar/carbs with very little Fiber. If I do eat any, it's like a few cut up grapes in my chicken salad - small quantities and rarely. I see no benefit to my diet from consuming fruit and discovered that adding it in tended to increase my sweet cravings. I already have enough trouble fighting that, so fruit is not on the menu often.

Tons of veggies tho. Not much for carby vegetables however (carrots, peas, potatoes, corn). Love things like spinach, broccoli and cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green Beans...

I do eat moderate carbs, but prefer to get them from things like brown rice, Beans, lentils...

Thank you Dairymary. I wondered if others had success while including fruits and veggies. Last week I upped my Protein with Protein shakes and more animal Protein and it made me less hungry, so fewer fruits and veggies. Not sure if that was what helped, but down 3 lbs since then. I know I was getting more of my protein from dairy before and maybe my body just does better with animal protein. I had read another post where someone said she did better with animal protein as well. Wondering if there is something to that.

Yes, losing weight is certainly not a one size fits all. I've discovered it's a never ending process of finding what works for ME. With my restriction it was very difficult to get enough protein from solid foods and still leave room for the other food groups in the beginning. I've always gotten close to 80g protein, but I did It with a lot of Protein Shakes for the first year or so. And while I still eat a lot of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt) animal protein has been my main source of protein for the last 4+ years. The satiety that dense protein provides and the restriction my sleeve has when I eat it has been crucial for me throughout maintenance

Good luck finding the formula that works for you. And don't be afraid to experiment and change things up from time to time If you need to.