Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band slipped.......Help !!!

I have been having severe reflux so the doc did an upper GI and then I had a scope. The results were not good. The doc said my band has slipped. Now they want me to see the surgeon ASAP. I had talked to my surgeon before the procedure about slipped bands and he assured me that he stitches the band in place and that they wouldn't slip. I guess he was wrong! I'm very upset and scared. What do I do now? Can someone please help?

banded 8/28/2006

down 75lbs as of 9/07/2007

:help:

Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry. But it is not the end of the world. But I understand how upset you are. It can and will be fixed. I got my band on the 27th of August. Can you believe mine slipped even before I got out of recovery. I had a very large hernia dr had to repair and the trama from that made the band slip. Two days later, I was back in surgery and everything is fine now.

So, try not to despair too much. Call your surgeon and he will do what he has to do to fix it.

Please keep me posted. I went through the same thing and I know how upset you are feeling. Hang in there. Let me know.

I am sorry to hear that your band slipped. I had surgery 10/31/06 and mine slipped also. I had also last about 75 pounds as the time. I found the slippage in May or June and had the band replaced on 7/17. It was any easy operation and I had no other complications. My insurance approved it almost immediately. The surgery to replace is a little longer than the original surgery, but you will only have the lap holes, no large incisions. I was up an going in about a day and 1/2.

I also had the terrible reflux and slept in a lazy boy for a long time. My troubles stated in February and it took a long time to figure out what was going on for some reason.

I have how lost right at 100 pounds and have only 15 or so to go to get to my goal.

I wish you the best, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. A friend of my at work (we had the same original surgeron) also had her band slip, so we have learned a lot about it.

DietPepsi---Congrats on your weight loss. I am so proud of you. I have lost 21 pounds since August 13. My goal is to loose 100-120 pounds. I have a long way to go. Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on your success.

Thanks so much for your reply. I guess I have to remember that God is there to do the worrying for me. It's always hard when you feel like you're in the dark and don't know what to expect. I wish you continued success with your band. I will let you know what happens at my appointment on Wednesday. Thanks again. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks diet Pepsi. It's nice to know that you had a good outcome with your band replacement. I just hope I don't have the same complications after surgery this time. Continued success to you as you reach your goal. I still have a way to go. I'm glad that there are people out there to help so I don't feel so isolated.

I went to the ER Wednesday in severe pain - my band had slipped and my stomach was completely obstructed. I was vomiting acid for over 24 hours.

The good news is that they fixed it right up - just went in and put it back where it was supposed to be, and added a few stitches to boot.

For me, the bad news is that my insurance has rejected the entire claim, so I'm going to have to fight a battle. Still, though, if I had to choose between being back where I started 110 lbs. ago or shelling out $10k and the pain of the slip, I'd choose the latter.

The band has changed my life - it's the best thing that's ever happened to me and worth every effort.

All the best to you - don't worry. You'll be just fine!

Laura D. ;)

I have been having severe reflux so the doc did an upper GI and then I had a scope. The results were not good. The doc said my band has slipped. Now they want me to see the surgeon ASAP. I had talked to my surgeon before the procedure about slipped bands and he assured me that he stitches the band in place and that they wouldn't slip. I guess he was wrong! I'm very upset and scared. What do I do now? Can someone please help?

banded 8/28/2006

down 75lbs as of 9/07/2007

:help:

After re-reading the posts, I find it interesting that I am also at around the 75lb loss mark (my total loss is 110lb., I lost a good bit before my banding)... has anyone seen a common thread between that 75 lb. loss mark and a slip? I wonder....

Laura D.

DOB 10/1/2005

Dr. Kuri, TJ

My band also slipped and I had to have it replaced. Have you Dr contact the insurance company. The slippage is something they do not understand. Luckily my was a not code that needed pre-approval, but they did question the medical necessity of the Dr bill, not the hopital. I think my band was slipped almost the entire time I had it. I had lost about the same as you when the worst of the symptons started. The acid reflux was something I had never experienced, and hope I never have to again.

The second surgery is very easy. They do not replace the port. I was up and going in a day and a half, and haven't stopped since. I had my replacement July 17. I have about 10 more pounds I would like to loose, but I am plateaued for now.

Best wishs to you.

I had talked to my surgeon before the procedure about slipped bands and he assured me that he stitches the band in place and that they wouldn't slip. I guess he was wrong! I'm very upset and scared. What do I do now? Can someone please help?

??? ALL bands are stitched into place and anywhere from 3% - 7% slip for various reasons.

i am waiting to have my band replaced. mine was originally done in 4/06 and slipped around january-march 07. my doctor too said it wasnt my band because of the way it was stitched in. but i ended up having to have it taken out in april, my stomach was almost completely above my band. mine was due too from having bronchitis really bad and it never went away. noone knew how to treat me and my band doc kept telling me my band was ok. so now, i had to wait six months to be sure i was completely healed and i am going back in october 4 to have a new one. i slept in a lazyboy for about 1-2 months and was continuously vomiting blood and tissue. i had gone down to 120 because of getting sick, when i had my band removed i was 137 (because of all the iv liquids i guess) and now i have gained about 60 lbs. i was down about 105lbs before i lost it. so i am just a little disgruntled right now. i know that when i have the band put back in i will start to lose again, but im just so angry, both at the doctors and at myself because of all the weight i gained back.

All these slipped and eroded bands sure do concern me. I am 4 1/2 yrs out and have been maintaining for over 2 yrs..give or take 5 lbs. I was ahvign severe reflux, but an unfill of only .25 CC did the trick for me. I pray you all get this worked out and I will be waiting to hear more!! God Bless!

deb

What causes a band to slip? I know my surgeon stated constant vomitting can cause slippage. What do you guys think. I appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your band slipped. I had surgery 10/31/06 and mine slipped also. I had also last about 75 pounds as the time. I found the slippage in May or June and had the band replaced on 7/17. It was any easy operation and I had no other complications. My insurance approved it almost immediately. The surgery to replace is a little longer than the original surgery, but you will only have the lap holes, no large incisions. I was up an going in about a day and 1/2.

I also had the terrible reflux and slept in a lazy boy for a long time. My troubles stated in February and it took a long time to figure out what was going on for some reason.

I have how lost right at 100 pounds and have only 15 or so to go to get to my goal.

I wish you the best, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. A friend of my at work (we had the same original surgeron) also had her band slip, so we have learned a lot about it.

It's a great comfort for me to read everyone's posts. I don't feel so alone. I was banded Sept 06, lost 75 pounds so far but last week it was discovered that my band slipped and also the port dropped down lower in my body. I don;t have any discomfort, it's really strange.

Appointment next week with my surgeon to discuss options and I'm really nervous.

How long have any of you gone with a slipped band before it was replaced? Should I be eating differently now I know the band is slipped?

Feeling clueless.

Mags

I had to be on liquids until my band was repositioned because I was unable to tolerate solids. Your doctor should instruct you on how to eat. I am sorry that you slipped. I remember I was quite devastated at the news when mine did. But, things have been great since-actually better than after the original surgery. So, I think they got it in a better spot. I had only lost 45 pounds when mine slipped, so I guess I disprove your 75 pound theory! Best of luck to you!