Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First of all, here's a virtual hug

I feel your pain. The early days right after surgery, I fought thoughts of what the hell did I just do. Water didn't sit well, couldn't drink any shakes, and had an unrelated infection. It got better.

I haven't really wanted to eat yet. I just know my sugar dropping so I need a few bites to keep me going.

I'm only 4 weeks out. I am 30 lbs down in that time which spurs me on. I felt better around the end of week 2.

See if you can find a local support group that can help.

Hugs,again and I hope you feel better soon

That's amazing! Congrats! I hope it gets better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 8days post op now. No one ever told me the regret I'd feel. All I wanna to do is eat. food was my comfort and now I don't know how to comfort myself! Advice??

Trust me. You will find other ways to feel better... because you have to. You must be a very strong person to have gone through the process of obtaining your WLS. So you will be okay.

Whatever you do, don't attempt to eat outside of your program. I assure you that you won't enjoy the food, it won't taste quite the same and you could really injure yourself.

How you are feeling is not unusual.

You have just had major surgery. You will heal, you will figure this out. You will eat food again in time.

A counsellor would be a really good idea if you can access one.

There is an abundance of information here and there is always someone here who feels the way you do at whatever stage you are.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to feel about your new body. Be nice to yourself right now.

I hope you feel better soon.

I know how you feel, I've always been the one they call "Big Guy" and it's not a nickname I have enjoyed, I'm also not getting great support from my family as they are focused too much on the risks rather than the return, but we're working on that.

I'm booked in for VSG in December and I have written a list of reasons I'm doing this, kids, health etc.

I've also taken up one of my great passions again, photography and I've found that having a hobby has taken away some of the reasons I consumed food just because it was there, I was bored I suppose.

So in December I will right this wrong and I have enrolled in cooking classes as well to help me make more health conscious decisions and hopefully they taste OK as well

Good luck and I'll follow your journey with great interest so chat soon

Regards

Rob

I know how you feel, I've always been the one they call "Big Guy" and it's not a nickname I have enjoyed, I'm also not getting great support from my family as they are focused too much on the risks rather than the return, but we're working on that.

I'm booked in for VSG in December and I have written a list of reasons I'm doing this, kids, health etc.

I've also taken up one of my great passions again, photography and I've found that having a hobby has taken away some of the reasons I consumed food just because it was there, I was bored I suppose.

So in December I will right this wrong and I have enrolled in cooking classes as well to help me make more health conscious decisions and hopefully they taste OK as well

Regards

Rob

Thank you!! You'll do great!

Regards

Rob

I guy who enjoys photography and cooks (or at least will be cooking in the near future). Be still my heart!

Regards

Rob

I guy who enjoys photography and cooks (or at least will be cooking in the near future). Be still my heart!

And soon to be thin as well ;)

yes, I agree, use what support you can, I remember when on liquids after surgery, could not wait until blended foods, then I could not wait until soft foods, then I could not wait till 'real' food. But the discipline you learn at each stage prepares you for the next. And as the weight comes off , your excitement at what is possible starts soaring. You will have plateaus, you will get sick of the schedule of Water, wait an hour, food, wait an 1/2 hour to drink. tracking Proteins etc. But as your joints stop hurting, the scale goes down, you can do more. It will feel so much better, not to mention, decreasing you meds. YOU don't mention how old you are, if you are young, I think food may be such a social binder that you may need help navigating the issues. You can socialize without eating so much. Plus your life will have so much more to do and enjoy.

yes, I agree, use what support you can, I remember when on liquids after surgery, could not wait until blended foods, then I could not wait until soft foods, then I could not wait till 'real' food. But the discipline you learn at each stage prepares you for the next. And as the weight comes off , your excitement at what is possible starts soaring. You will have plateaus, you will get sick of the schedule of Water, wait an hour, food, wait an 1/2 hour to drink. tracking Proteins etc. But as your joints stop hurting, the scale goes down, you can do more. It will feel so much better, not to mention, decreasing you meds. YOU don't mention how old you are, if you are young, I think food may be such a social binder that you may need help navigating the issues. You can socialize without eating so much. Plus your life will have so much more to do and enjoy.

I'm 22

It's so hard...I am seeing a counselor and it helps. I'm learning new coping skills...slowly. it's a battle we face, harder on some of us than others. Hang in there, find support and give yourself a break. You can do this, it takes time to adjust. Give yourself time. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

It's so hard...I am seeing a counselor and it helps. I'm learning new coping skills...slowly. it's a battle we face, harder on some of us than others. Hang in there, find support and give yourself a break. You can do this, it takes time to adjust. Give yourself time. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you!

I know it's hard with the limited energy that we have so early on, but try & keep busy. It helps keep your mind off food & head hunger. When you're feeling low, try and think of all the amazing things you can do once the weight starts coming off, and the reasons you wanted the surgery in the first place.

And I'd also suggest getting to the gym as soon as you're cleared to do so. Exercise is a great anti-depressant & doing a class opens doors to meeting new people.

I felt that way until today when I realized that eventually I will be able to treat myself here and there and the restriction won't be so extreme for forever.....and by then I'm going to have learned how to eat healthy portions and then be able to balance. Like if one day I want a bagel with full fat strawberry cream cheese I'll do that in the future. Maybe not the whole thing but I won't ever not have my favorite foods. But maybe 1 small slice of pizza rather than 5 big ones. That's how I'm looking at it. It may be looked down upon but I got this surgery to retrain myself to be able to eat like a normal person (healthy but has "bad" foods every now and then)

I felt that way until today when I realized that eventually I will be able to treat myself here and there and the restriction won't be so extreme for forever.....and by then I'm going to have learned how to eat healthy portions and then be able to balance. Like if one day I want a bagel with full fat strawberry cream cheese I'll do that in the future. Maybe not the whole thing but I won't ever not have my favorite foods. But maybe 1 small slice of pizza rather than 5 big ones. That's how I'm looking at it. It may be looked down upon but I got this surgery to retrain myself to be able to eat like a normal person (healthy but has "bad" foods every now and then)

Hopefully, you will find other ways of "treating" yourself.

Once you have been without processed carbs, full fat foods etc that made you overweight in the first place, gone through the withdrawal process; perhaps you will want to take advantage of this WLS, this tool that you put in place.

pizza as you knew it, is really awkward to eat post op. Chewy bready carbs like Bagels and conventional pizza bases swell in your sleeve and sit really heavy in your stomach.

But there are lots of bariatric recipes for faux pizza and you could always substitute full fat cream cheese for 0% fat cream cheese with thin slices of fresh strawberries on melba toast.

Point being that restriction is a part of this process for weight loss but many "bad" foods are tiny and "slide" down your sleeve easily.

You could easily find yourself eating more calories than is allowed on your weight loss plan and start gaining weight.

Don't get me wrong, we all still want to eat foods that made us overweight in the first place, it takes time for our heads to catch up to our sleeve.

I have been working really hard on training my new system to enjoy good, healthy foods. Unfortunately, even at five months out, I am still struggling to eat well as my sleeve hates everything.

I hope that you can eventually see that other ways of treating yourself is better than using food, especially unhealthy carb and fat laden foods.