Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the skinny on coffee?

Hi all,

I am 5 days away from my VSG. I have a been battling headaches and can only take Tylenol now (Advil was my friend). I miss coffee not only for the caffeine but the ritual and soothing. Its my favorite morning thing.

Question is, why is coffee a no-no? What about Decaf? Is it the caffeine that is bad, or the acids in coffee? Is the coffee restriction just pre and post op, or life-long?

Edited by The New Kel

In my program, they wanted me off coffee for the immediate post-op period because of it's acidity. Once I was off Clear Liquids, I was able to try it again. I waited until I was about 4 weeks out just because of my previous experiences with my stomach...it can be a little sensitive. I've had 1-2 cups daily since then, with no issues. Caveat: I took my last Protonix last night (PPI), so we'll see how I do without the acid inhibitor.

For my program, they wanted us off coffee for two reasons - caffeine and dehydration (yes I know that's controversial and there is evidence that there is not a connection) and the acidity on a healing stomach when you are at risk for ulcers. However, they only temporarily ban coffee (and they allowed Decaf as well as decaf tea). For us, we could have coffee again after we routinely reach Fluid goals (64oz per day) for at least 3 weeks. Then we can have 1 cup of caffeinated coffee or tea a day - and by cup they mean a normal size coffee cup, not a giant 24oz cup (yes they made that distinction!).

I personally waiting though until I was 3 months out but I've been overly cautious on all progressions post-op. Had my first cup post-op last week - it was divine. Instead of sweetener and cream, I add Premier caramel Protein shake to it to get a sorta caramel latte and I figure hey, I'm getting a couple grams of Protein too!

plans vary, and I would imagine are someone dependent upon your ulcer risk - so check with your doctor about your own medical situation.

I was allowed Decaf at the beginning (but why bother??!?!?!??) and regular coffee after a few weeks. I have coffee every work day morning, and sometimes on the weekend. I have what my Daddy always called "baby coffee" - with cream and sugar - now post WLS I mix half and half with fairlife milk and use stevia most of the time. I have a big ole probably 24 ounce cup. #absolutebliss

first I drink the coffee - then I do the things...........

coffee isn't a no no for me! Most of my Fluid intake is black coffee, I rarely drink Water. No issues with acid or ulcers, great weight loss, happy, healthy, perfectly hydrated (the idea that coffee will dehydrate you is a myth as per published scientific studies -- anyone tries to sell you on that BS, tell them to SHOW YOU THE SCIENCE -- they can't!).

In my program, they wanted me off coffee for the immediate post-op period because of it's acidity. Once I was off clear liquids, I was able to try it again. I waited until I was about 4 weeks out just because of my previous experiences with my stomach...it can be a little sensitive. I've had 1-2 cups daily since then, with no issues. Caveat: I took my last Protonix last night (PPI), so we'll see how I do without the acid inhibitor./

Were you instructed to stay off coffe pre-op as well? I've already given up everything else, so having to not have morning coffee is cruel, lol

For my program, they wanted us off coffee for two reasons - caffeine and dehydration (yes I know that's controversial and there is evidence that there is not a connection) and the acidity on a healing stomach when you are at risk for ulcers. However, they only temporarily ban coffee (and they allowed Decaf as well as decaf tea). For us, we could have coffee again after we routinely reach Fluid goals (64oz per day) for at least 3 weeks. Then we can have 1 cup of caffeinated coffee or tea a day - and by cup they mean a normal size coffee cup, not a giant 24oz cup (yes they made that distinction!).

I personally waiting though until I was 3 months out but I've been overly cautious on all progressions post-op. Had my first cup post-op last week - it was divine. Instead of sweetener and cream, I add Premier caramel Protein shake to it to get a sorta caramel latte and I figure hey, I'm getting a couple grams of Protein too!

I can see the point about ulcers. When is see my NUT today I am going to ask about decaf. I wonder if trea is ok...just something warm in the mornings.

I didn't have to give it up preop. but you might want to start weaning yourself off. You don't want to be going through caffeine withdrawal immediately post-op. You'll be dealing with enough just dealing with the uncomfortable-ness immediately post op from the incisions etc.

plans vary, and I would imagine are someone dependent upon your ulcer risk - so check with your doctor about your own medical situation.

I was allowed Decaf at the beginning (but why bother??!?!?!??) and regular coffee after a few weeks. I have coffee every work day morning, and sometimes on the weekend. I have what my Daddy always called "baby coffee" - with cream and sugar - now post WLS I mix half and half with fairlife milk and use stevia most of the time. I have a big ole probably 24 ounce cup. #absolutebliss

first I drink the coffee - then I do the things...........

I am the same way, coffee first, biut for me its not so much the caffeine as the the ritual. I like just one cup, 10 oz, and I use almond/coconut Creamer. Seem harmeless but I will consult with my team today. It would be nice to be able to hold onto one of my comfort rituals.

Decaf tea is ok too. and herbal tea is automatically non-caffeine so you can have any herbal tea. And yes,, something warm is nice to have. a lot of people immediately post-op find warmer liquids go down easier than cold. Granted for some, it is just the opposite

I didn't have to give it up preop. but you might want to start weaning yourself off. You don't want to be going through caffeine withdrawal immediately post-op. You'll be dealing with enough just dealing with the uncomfortable-ness immediately post op from the incisions etc.

Very good point!

I am allowed to have black coffee pre-op, and my MD said I can also have black coffee and tea post-op for the first week, and then I can add milk to it starting week 2

Caffeine is a diuretic. When we are supposed to be preventing dehydration both pre and post op, we don't necessarily need to be drinking anything with caffeine to make us dehydrated. From what I have seen here, people are battling to drink enough Water already.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@The New Kel No, I was allowed coffee until surgery...in fact, I drank it the day before, then had surgery first case the next morning, so I had the narcotics post-op to help with that awful caffeine withdrawal headache :)

I deliberately didn't wean so that the PCA pump and it's lovely morphine would help me through the caffeine withdrawal headache :)