Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What will you miss the most?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What will you miss the most?

• Carbonation (diet soda and/or beer)
    • Eating big portions
    • 5 course meals
    • Sourdough Bread (if you can't tolerate it)

Thanks to everybody for all the responses! This helps me a lot and I don't feel so alone!

I guess that port is placed securely on the front of the abdominal wall. Then sutured with 3-4 major, permenant sutures. It's a muscle that moves and is used so much that we will experience pain in the beginning because that darn port and ab wall aren't use to each other yet. (from what the nurse said)

Everybody I talk to that has had the band for a while (6+ months), say they do not have any port pain anymore. But sounds like this can happen for a couple of months for some people.

Other complications, well, none really. I did feel like the Soup I ate had a lot of sodium and my heart raced for a moment, but it went away. Definately tired for the first week so far, and weak, needed to sleep a lot. Today is day 7 and its getting better. A lot better. Good luck to all!!!!

I was banded on 9/07. I feel great! I do have a little port pain but I'm sure it will go away, being that it is only 4 days since surgery. I get up and do my walk. My surgeon wants his patients to walk a duration of 1 mile a day, of course in sections.

Besides that my energy level is way up:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You are definitely NOT alone!!!!

About a week after I was banded, I was sitting at the computer one morning. I usually always stretch while sitting at the computer and lean way back for a really good stretch!!!! I completely forgot about the port -- when I stretched -- IT stretched! And boy, did I feel it!!!! It was horrible. But as you said, the doctor's office stated that when you do that (or do the ab-lounge like I later found out also) that it pulls because it's sewn into the 6-pack muscle, and until the scar tissue is built up and healed completely, you will feel pain when doing things like that!!!

Thanks Lady Blue! I am 16 days post op and I don't really feel the port pain anymore. Thank the lord! I still am careful just in case. I have to go back to work on Sunday and I lift things all night long. I hope I'm OK. Glad to hear I'm not alonE!

I was banded on Aug 7th. My pain comes and goes. I was surprised it has lasted so long. Mainly because my tactic for overcoming fear of operation was to ask very few questions that I would not want to hear the answer to. That having been said.. reading your post has rung an alarm bell. I work in an elementary school for autistic children. Physically, it is a very demanding job.. School starts tomorrow. Now I'm scared.

Hi, I had my surgery June 22, 2006, a year and 2 months ago and I still have port pain, doctor says it is normal. But what caught my attention is that you said you worked for an elementary for autistic children. Is the whole school just for children with autism? I have a child with high functioning autism, and I was just curious about your school. Where is it located at?

I had really severe port pain when lying down, getting up, picking things up off the floor/etc. It seriously made me regret having it cuz I was like, what did I do to my body that i am in pain all the time! Then magically around the 2 week point, the pain went away. I think my stomach healed or something. Now I can do whatever I want (bend over, pick up my dogs, etc) without pain. Now I have been banded for 3 weeks and dont have any pain at all.

When did the 2 of you get banded? I'm having awful port pain since surgery 8/28 and sitting/standing is so painful. I can't even think of bending over - I'm seeing stars just standing. I didn't think I'd still be in this much port pain.

It's normal to have that type of pain in the port region, particularly during the first couple of months when all that area is very sensitive.

With time and experience you'll soon learn which positions are not suitable for you or make your port hurt (bending over the kitchen counter, the sink, bath tub, picking something up from the floor, etc).

niki

You are probably fine...I know that it hurts when you move the wrong way, but I doubt that you have pulled your port out of place...it is stiched in pretty good...I pulled a suture(just by standing up) and it hurt really bad, I was so afraid that I had messed up the port, but it was fine...

:help::)This morning when I woke up, I forgot I had the surgery. I sat up really fast using my stomach muscles and OUCH! Sharp freakin' pain! Like the port cut through my muscle or something!

I called the nurse. She said everybody does it. Man, is it sore! Then, I took it easy today to help it heal and my son (who is 11 months old) grabbed onto a small table and 'somehow' pulled it over on top of him! I freaked out! I jumped up and AGAIN!

OUCH!

(he's fine)

Two injuries in one day. I talked to 3 people who had the same thing, from the office. Anybody else experience this?

It's almost like I pulled one of the stitches out or something.

Sharp pain.

:help:

Ouch.

Those abdomonal wall muscles that got cut during the surgery hurt for a while, but it gets better!

Thanks Wendell. i"m glad I am almost at my one month celebration. I am sure I will feel great by this point.

So far, so good. I do feel like I have little restriction. I am eating bigger bites than I thought I'd be able to eat too. I may go in for a fill at 6 weeks. Plus, I haven't lost any weight in a week.

Just curious, how are you moms making out with young kids post op. I have a soon to be 10 month old and i will be banded the day after she turns 10 months. She loves for me to pick her up, hold her, and its mostly dad taking care of her in the day. My job is after work and into the night. Any thoughts??

Mes

lol. I feel like a baby now because I was on here everyday for hours asking for suggestions for pain. The only thing that was working was taking painkillers, and that was because it put me to sleep. By the 8th day, all the pain was gone.