Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BJJ & Weight Training before & after Gastric Sleeve?

Hi All,

I am 40 years old and I have been practicing BJJ and Mua Thai for about 3 years. My weight has always fluctuated up and down but lately its gotten the best of me and I've noticed that it's hindering not only my overall health (cholesterol, pre-diabetes, enlarged liver etc. etc) but my BJJ game has also been affected. I hit the weight hard and also dedicate time for cardio and spend about 3x's on the mat. I've noticed for as much as I work out the added weight just slows me down and I am not able to hit my move the way I would like thus my BJJ has stagnated and I am just not loosing weight. I am looking getting the gastric sleeve surgery but I am afraid that all the hard work I invested in the gym and on the mat is going to set me back with my BJJ game and strength.

I know I am not supposed to work out post-op but can I get away with doing very light weight at least 4 weeks out as long as I am not straining?

Is there a certain way I should be working out or drilling so I don't loose too much muscle or technique on the mats?

How soon do you think it's safe enough to drill?

What about yoga post-op to get core strong?

What about eating? Although I want to loose weight I don't want to turn into a toothpick. What is the best way to retain hard earned muscle?

Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

@@eastharlempana

Welcome!! I'm pre op so I can't really talk about my experience but there's a guys group on here that I recommend checking out. A lot of them are frequent gym goers and will have advice on muscle gain etc.

I'm a Krav Maga girl and I know what it's like to be so obsessed with something you can't imagine not doing it for a day, let alone a month or two. I've been injured more times than I can remember and not being able to train is so hard. But I think this is just going to be one of those short term pain for long term gain type of situations. The waiting sucks, but you'll need to just be patient and give yourself time to heal. When the time comes, you'll be able to kick arse even harder.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was cleared to exercise after 4 weeks, I would just recommend taking it slowly on core work initially given that it's abdominal surgery. Don't push through any pain, let it be your guide to what you can do early on. Focus on hitting your Protein post op as to help preserve muscle and work your major muscle groups. Initially your caloric deficit will be very big so easing back into exercise versus going all out will also help with muscle retention. However given how little we can eat initially expect to cannibalize some muscle but know that in time it can be built back up.

While I doubt that you will become a toothpick, understand the current benefit that your extra weight provides. Pre op, I was physically not fit or strong but because of my physical size and mass I could move heavier loads then as opposed to now. Simply put when I pushed 250+lbs of myself against an object, it moved. Now while I am physically the fittest and strongest I have ever been, pushing 130+lbs against an object, may or may not move it. Did I become weaker? Certainly not, I couldn't do a single push up before and now I can knock out 4 sets of 20 easily but one could interpret my weight loss as strength loss. My point is the your performance may be different post op than pre op and therefore not comparable. Your technique may have to change simply because you won't have the extra mass.

Given these outcomes, would I still have had surgery? All day, every day, Yes.

Thanks erp & Nikkinee for taking the time to reply it puts me at ease a bit.