Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Northern California (Richmond, CA)

Hi. I've been lurking on here for weeks as my hubby and I finally committed to embarking on this sleeve journey together. I'm still waiting on my referral to bariatrics but my husband already got his and his first appt isn't until 12/2! I've scoured everything I could to try and find out the process for this location...do they swear folks to secrecy because I can't find anything.

We were hoping to work magic and have our procedures this year as between our 3 year olds issue with seizures and my husbands diabetes we are close to our out of pocket max this year.

Anyone gone through the process in this location and have insight into the process?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi,

Yes, I will be 12 weeks post op sleeve next week. My surgeon is Dr. Baggs Richmond Kaiser. Once I passed the psych eval it went real quick. Everyone has been great but I have nothing to compare it with accept for others WLS stories. I go to a non Kaiser Bariatric surgery support group in St. Helena so I get to hear what their program is like. I will say that Kaiser sounds more strict compared to others programs.

I have not had any complications to speak of really, couple acid reflux moments. I have lost 80lbs since March still working on goal weight. Some days is feels like I should be to goal already but it is a journey not a race. Glad to answer any questions you may have.

Very happy I went through with it, feel great, look forward to feeling even better. KP in general were setting the bar really high to get approved, then I heard they had to ease up. Just make sure you have all your medial tests up to date, do whatever they recommend and by all means lose weight before. The more you can lose pre-op the better it will be. I lost 23lbs my first month that is what fast tracked me from March start date to June surgery. Deal with any addictions now, food, drinking, smoking. Caffeine was the hardest by far for me.

And I did not listen went cold turkey into surgery with a screaming, horrible headache after recovery. I knew exactly what the headache meant. Even on the pain killers my head hurt. The first nurse messed up brought real tea on my tray, boy was I happy. Although I could only take a few sips it got rid of the headache. And I am back on caffeine so I am a fine one to talk about addiction. I have only tried to drink alcohol one time and that was not fun, just feels gross after feeling so healthy and good. Not worth it. So yeah, great experience all around.

Good luck!!!

I just had surgery there on Monday. Wonderful experience.

As was mentioned previously, they are strict but after reading posts from people in other programs I understand that they want to make sure you will succeed. Do exactly what they tell you! They will not let you move forward unless you meet their requirements.

That's being said-they are very supportive. I had to lose 32 lbs but by surgery I had lost almost 55. It took 4 months from orientation. To surgery but it could have been sooner if it weren't for my schedule.

As for the actual surgery experience...couldn't have asked for things to go better. Staff were amazing, i only had a little nausea just after surgery and no gas pains. I was more than ready to go the next morning.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I had the same problem trying to find information so I am more than happy to help.

Thank you for your response. What was the process? Did you have to take classes etc? I lost 75 lbs last year on my own in about 4 months but...the laundry list of excuses. I have since gained it back. I want to get going again on my weight loss again. I have since gained it back. It seems to be horrible cycle of losing and gaining. I want to lose for good this time.

I completely understand. So my process was...after my pcp gave me a referrer all the Bariatric dept called me and I was scheduled for an orientation. They provided binders, weighed us and went over the program in general, a dr spoke briefly and a nutritionist gave the pre-op (which will one day be the rest of your life) diet. At the end half the people were given an appt with a surgeon and the other half for the psych eval.

I think it was 2-3 weeks later for me to have appt with surgeon. He went over general info to see which surgery would be best, etc. I was then given an appt a few weeks later for the psych. Follow the rules and show up early-they don't mess around! I filled out questionaires and answered all his questions about my life etc. then he discussed surgery and changes and what to expect and prepare for.

After that I needed to just meet the goal weight loss set by my surgeon. Once I did that I had an appt with Liz, the program manager. She then gave me a surgery date. She also scheduled me for the preop classes. There were two classes back to back on the same day followed by a preop physical. Two weeks later I had the surgery.

Their preop diet works well, you just have to follow it. They are strict that once you meet your preop goal weight set by the dr that you never go over that weight. They will cancel or reschedule appts and surgery if you don't follow their rules.

It seems extreme but I have found they are very nice and supportive. They also highly recommend you attend support groups. They have two per month in Richmond and two per month in Vacaville.

I am going to orientation on the 29th .I was told hold off on loosing weight before orientation because they go off your weight when you way in.I just asked because I wanted to start going to the gym sooner then later .

Strange. I haven't gotten my call only my husband has but he doesn't push or ask questions. I hope to get my call tomorrow and get all my answers. It will save us a

couple thousand dollars to have it done this year so I'm praying it all

Works out.

I received my call within a day or two from my pcp referral but I did have to wait a couple months for the orientation. It was hard for me because it took me years to be willing to do the surgery and once I decided I wanted it -I had to wait.

I don't know what to recommend regarding losing weight now versus waiting until orientation. They will weigh you at that time and consider that your starting weight. I didn't receive my pre-op goal weight until two weeks later at my surgeons appt.

I know some people were able to fast track a bit. I am not sure what qualifies you to do that unless they just asked. Some people had to drive further so they were able to schedule appts on the same day rather than waiting. Again, not really sure about all of that.

It seemed to me as long as you were working hard and doing all they asked and not really a concern for them-they seemed to work hard to get you through.

Actually for me I think it was exactly 4 months from orientation to surgery date. But I was nervous too so it was ok with me.

I also worked hard to keep losing weight even past my pre-op goal weight. They really liked that. My goal is to get the weight off so I wasn't going to stop just at their goal. They said it made my surgery go much smoother.

I haven't heard anything bad about any of the Drs. I had mostaedi who was absolutely wonderful. Very nice man. They told us in orientation they always have two surgeons in the room. I don't know for sure but baggs was doing surgery that day too so it may have been both of them. No matter what I have complete faith in my dr.

And again, can't say enough nice things about the staff after the surgery. People were over the top nice and helpful.

I know everyone has their own experiences but I really hope you guys have as nice an experience as I did. I really believe their strict program helps ensure success.

They want you off caffeine, stop alcohol (I would recommend now because they will ask). No smoking, etc. really get in touch with why you overeat. Pay attention to when you are hunger versus bored etc.

They will go over everything in orientation. Your binder is your lifeline and you are required to bring it to every meeting etc.