Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and I'm hungry!

I keep thinking , did the doctor cut enough of my stomach? LOL

May day consist of 1/4 cup of broth in the morning, a mid morning snack is a sugar free Jello or maybe a 1/2 of a sugar free popsicle. lunch I start the nasty liquid protien. It's so hard to drink them, they taste gross. I pretty much take the rest of the day to sip on 40 grams of the protien. It's the Isopure 20 oz bottle. dinner is another 1/4 cup of broth & my evening snack is the other half of my popsicle.

I also sip on Water all day. I've been mixing it up Gatorade, flavored Propel Water. I'm probably at 55 oz a day.

I just just feel like I'm ready for soft foods. Or maybe the Isopure powder protien with water? I would LOVE an actual premier protien little cartons one. (strawberry N Cream) Mmmmm

I get I'm only on day 5 and my plan says Clear liquids for the first 7 days, but I seriously feel hungry like 30 minutes after I drink the broth or eat the Jello.

I'm 5'2 and my is BMI 34

10 day pre op diet weight 197

Surgery weight 189

CW 187 :( frustrated and hungry!!

Can someone please tell me what they did in the 1st 7 days? When did you start losing get the lbs?

Turtle5559

I'm just on a friends account right now looking for information for her, but I was on full liquid foods three days out from surgery (pudding, ice cream, Tomato soup) and soft foods after five (baked Beans, mashed potatoes, anything soft), ate a small prime rib dinner ten days out and pizza and a coke a month out. I didn't eat a lot, very small portions, but enjoyed my regular foods. I went for my favorite Chinese food six weeks out. I love Chinese food (rice, ginger beef, noodles) and pizza, but now I don't eat near as much. Be smart, if it hurts don't eat it.

What did I do in the first seven days post-op? I followed my bariatric team's orders to the letter - liquids only, high Protein and low carb -- and that was for four full weeks, not just the first seven days btw. Why would I think I know better than they do? My track record proves that I'm not good at making smart choices with respect to food and my health. Why would I override the health and medical judgment of the people who I trusted with my life?

I really hope the person above who is talking about eating ice cream, pizza, prime rib and coke 10 days out of surgery is a troll, and based on that hope I'm not responding any further to them.

When did I start losing the lbs? Not really sure, I stayed off the scale until my post-op 4 week weigh-in. Why would I stress myself out by getting on the scale so soon after major surgery? That's a trauma to the body that is going to cause weird metabolic responses, and I wanted no part of freaking out over it and getting tempted to toss my team's plan for me out the window.

I'm glad I stayed on plan and resisted temptation to just do what I felt like doing. Minus 200 lbs, went from a size 6X to a 6 (okay really more like an 8 or 10 but in some brands I can wear a 6 so I like to claim it!). My team knew what was best for me, I trusted them, and it worked out great.

Edited by Bufflehead

@@turtle5569 Is there a reason why you're only having a 1/4 cup of broth? Does your plan only allow that Isopure? I would call about drinking something you like better. Make sure you take a PPI (stomach acid can mimic hunger pains). Also - have more broth, sugar free popsicles. Don't limit quantities of Clear Liquids. Stay with the plan! (Ignore the ridiculous comment about eating steak and Chinese food).

In terms of the weight loss - you are still swollen and were pumped with fluids - it'll take time for the scale to move.

I'm just on a friends account right now looking for information for her, but I was on full liquid foods three days out from surgery (pudding, ice cream, Tomato soup) and soft foods after five (baked Beans, mashed potatoes, anything soft), ate a small prime rib dinner ten days out and pizza and a coke a month out. I didn't eat a lot, very small portions, but enjoyed my regular foods. I went for my favorite Chinese food six weeks out. I love Chinese food (rice, ginger beef, noodles) and pizza, but now I don't eat near as much. Be smart, if it hurts don't eat it.

Ice cream, pizza and Chinese?? What? Oh no, I want to lose weight. LOL.....Tomato Soup however sounds delicious.

Turtle5559

What did I do in the first seven days post-op? I followed my bariatric team's orders to the letter - liquids only, high Protein and low carb -- and that was for four full weeks, not just the first seven days btw. Why would I think I know better than they do? My track record proves that I'm not good at making smart choices with respect to food and my health. Why would I override the health and medical judgment of the people who I trusted with my life?

I really hope the person above who is talking about eating ice cream, pizza, prime rib and coke 10 days out of surgery is a troll, and based on that hope I'm not responding any further to them.

When did I start losing the lbs? Not really sure, I stayed off the scale until my post-op 4 week weigh-in. Why would I stress myself out by getting on the scale so soon after major surgery? That's a trauma to the body that is going to cause weird metabolic responses, and I wanted no part of freaking out over it and getting tempted to toss my team's plan for me out the window.

I'm glad I stayed on plan and resisted temptation to just do what I felt like doing. Minus 200 lbs, went from a size 6X to a 6 (okay really more like an 8 or 10 but in some brands I can wear a 6 so I like to claim it!). My team knew what was best for me, I trusted them, and it worked out great.

I would go crazy on a liquid diet for 4 weeks. Maybe I just have to find a better liquid protien. I love the broth it feels me up. I'm just hungry so quickly after I sip it. Congratulations on your success I can't wait to be in a size 6:)

Turtle5559

I was on clear liquids for 10 days before soft food.......water, Water with flavor enhancers (the zero calorie ones you squirt), broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles, Decaf sugar free tea.......but my doctor didn't limit me on the clear liquids so I was drinking all day. I'm at week 3 and have lost 16 pounds. Hunger hasn't been a problem so far because I'm always drinking.......

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@turtle5569 Is there a reason why you're only having a 1/4 cup of broth? Does your plan only allow that Isopure? I would call about drinking something you like better. Make sure you take a PPI (stomach acid can mimic hunger pains). Also - have more broth, sugar free popsicles. Don't limit quantities of clear liquids. Stay with the plan! (Ignore the ridiculous comment about eating steak and Chinese food).

In terms of the weight loss - you are still swollen and were pumped with fluids - it'll take time for the scale to move.

@@KristenLe I'm usually full after about a 1/4 cup and I stop. Maybe ill just add more to the cup and reheat it after a few minutes.

Isopure was recommended. So I bought a 5lb bucket of chocolate powder and a 3 lbs bucket of strawberry powder. The powder taste good with Water and 1/2 fat free milk. I was drinking that on my 10 day pre diet prior to surgery, but for the 7 day liquid diet I bought the liquid ones. I was told no powder.

I found an Atkins berry one, but it only had 20g of protien vs the isopure is 40g. It does taste a little better I just have to drink 2 of them. I can barely put one down. I can't wait to pass the liquid phase!! I can do it!! I can do it!!

What is a PPI? The dr did prescribe omeprazol. I take 1 tablet every 12 hours. I don't have the bad gas pains like I did with my hysterectomy. I actually feel pretty good. I had slight left shoulder and neck pain, but that passed already.

I'm really thankful for your responses!!

Turtle5559

I was on clear liquids for 10 days before soft food.......water, Water with flavor enhancers (the zero calorie ones you squirt), broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles, Decaf sugar free tea.......but my doctor didn't limit me on the clear liquids so I was drinking all day. I'm at week 3 and have lost 16 pounds. Hunger hasn't been a problem so far because I'm always drinking.......

@@chuswysly Thanks for the advice. Im going to keep on sipping!!

Did you drink any protien in that 10 day period?

Turtle5559

@@turtle5569 I know it seems like forever now* but I promise you in the future you'll look back and this time will just be a blip. Hang in there!

*I remember the first time I got to eat something that required an actual utensil after 4 weeks of liquids. I was so happy and grateful I almost cried! Now I look back and think I was being kind of silly but I remember it meant a lot to me at the time.

@@turtle5569 I know it seems like forever now* but I promise you in the future you'll look back and this time will just be a blip. Hang in there!

*I remember the first time I got to eat something that required an actual utensil after 4 weeks of liquids. I was so happy and grateful I almost cried! Now I look back and think I was being kind of silly but I remember it meant a lot to me at the time.

Thanks @@Bufflehead I will!!

Turtle5559

I was starving 4 days post op. I was sure my doc screwed my surgery up or I was just a failed case. Today I am 3 months post op and 50lbs down. Just because we weren't one of the lucky ones who didn't experience appetite for months, doesn't mean we won't be successful! I love my sleeve and still love/enjoy food...and still lose weight!!! Maybe we are the lucky ones ;)

I was starting the first week. I kept telling everyone I was hungry and I was so dizzy. I was eating pills like it was food. But the difference was, I had no desire to eat, I was just hungry!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App