Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories are you taking in?

At my 2 week post op I was allowed to begin soft foods. Sick of the pre made shakes I have begun making my own which I drink in sips over the course of the day, while also eating about a quarter cup of lentil Soup and a bite of cheese here and there.

My surgeon told me that in a month or so I would probably take in about 600 to 700 calories a day. Currently I'm about 350 to 500 and while my energy levels are returning I'm not at 100% and get lightheaded when I get up from sitting or walking upstairs.

Is this common? Was there anything that you did to overcome that? Or is it just an adjustment that will take time?

Thanks in advance

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

My goals are 60 oz of Protein and 64oz. liquids, not calories. At 8 weeks out, I still don't count calories but can guess I have between 600 to 800 a day. As my food intake capacity increases from current 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, my surgeon said my calorie goal will be 1000.

350-500 is actually pretty standard calories at 2 weeks out. Most can't physically eat anymore than that quite yet, but make sure you're getting your fluids. I did the dizzy thing for a year and will still do it periodically at 2 years out if I'm not getting enough Water. When I'm drinking enough, it seems to subside.

350-500 is actually pretty standard calories at 2 weeks out. Most can't physically eat anymore than that quite yet, but make sure you're getting your fluids. I did the dizzy thing for a year and will still do it periodically at 2 years out if I'm not getting enough Water. When I'm drinking enough, it seems to subside.

Thanks I was looking for people who were already at this stage or beyond. So this is really helpful. I've been getting better about my Water intake so I hope it passes soon.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

My goals are 60 oz of Protein and 64oz. liquids, not calories. At 8 weeks out, I still don't count calories but can guess I have between 600 to 800 a day. As my food intake capacity increases from current 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, my surgeon said my calorie goal will be 1000.

I'm not purposefully counting calories I'm using MFP to monitor my Protein and Water intake and you're right I'm not meeting the protein amount. I'm not sure how it can be done at 300-600 range.

Maybe it isn't suppose too initially.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

I'm 12 days out, only counting Protein and Fluid intake. Cannot even think about calories. I just started mushie/soft Phase today.

I'm not purposefully counting calories I'm using MFP to monitor my Protein and Water intake and you're right I'm not meeting the protein amount. I'm not sure how it can be done at 300-600 range.

Maybe it isn't suppose too initially.

HW 341 lbs

07/19/16 - 298 lbs

08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs

CW 270 lbs

It's hard, but you do the best you can! You'll see as you progress and heal up and the swelling goes down, you'll be able to eat a bit more and get more protein in. Between that and Water, seems like you're constantly eating or drinking to get enough of both!

At 8 weeks out I am supposed to count Protein and fluids but because I track everything I can tell you that I get average of less than 700 per day - 420 of that is from Protein shakes/protein broth. If I have hummus for a meal or more cheese I can go over that number but sometimes can be 600 or less.

But would say 700 is pretty consistent.

I was only getting 5-600 calories in for the first 4 months or so. Never counted Protein or calories until the last few weeks when I could eat more. Don't worry at 2 weeks post op. Concentrate on your fluids. The rest will follow.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

You're pretty standard for 2 weeks out, in the next 2 weeks you'll start to feel as though you can take in a little more. I had hit a stall and my Dr said it was because I was taking in less than 900 calories still. 900-1200 per day is where I should be at now and it definitely makes a difference. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

At 6 weeks out I'm easily getting in 650-800 calories/day. Usually closer to 800. There have been a couple of days where I got as many as 1,000.

Make sure you're getting your Water in. That may be a reason for the dizziness.

Thanks I was looking for people who were already at this stage or beyond. So this is really helpful. I've been getting better about my water intake so I hope it passes soon.

HW 341 lbs
07/19/16 - 298 lbs
08/09/16 DOS - 286 lbs
CW 270 lbs

I am 6 foot male, age 57, and I am a little shy of 6 months post-op. The last I checked, I was eating about 1600 calories per day.

I'm five weeks post op and I'm still unable to meet my Fluid and Protein intake! I can eat regular food now and I'm instructed not to worry about calories just my fluid and protein intake however I do eat about 300-500 calories now. From week one through three calories were far from my mind. I did experience dizziness the first four weeks but that has passed now.