Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein goals and hair loss

I'm just over 10 weeks post op from VSG and am worried about Hair loss. It's been really good thus far but after doing some research I discovered that this usually isn't an issue for most patients till 3 months. So no more gloating for me lol

I can't stand Protein Shakes so I eat all my Protein every day. As an average I usually hit anywhere between 60-90 grams a day and have also been using a Joico protein treatment on my hair.< /p>

HW - 140kg or 308lbs

SW - 132.5 or 291lbs

CW 110kg or 242lbs

So basically I'm wondering what other people have experienced and what their protein goals were that resulted in no hair loss?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I met and exceeded my Protein goal every single day from day 2 and I still lost hair. And by exceeded I mean I have never had a day with less than 90g of Protein the whole time.

If you are going to lose hair nothing will stop it. All you can try to do is make it grow back as fast as possible

What did you do to help with the grow back?? Anything in particular?? Or does it just take time?

Meeting your Protein goals really won't help with Hair loss, I am sorry to say. I ate high protein for weeks before surgery, hit my goal of 75+ grams of protein every day starting within 24 hours of surgery, and still lost tons of hair. I also did all the other stuff you are supposed to do, Biotin, zinc, etc. even though my surgeon warned me it was useless and I was just throwing my money away.

It either will happen or it won't. If it does, there are lots of good ways to disguise hair loss if it gets really bad (Nanogen, Toppik, shorter hair cut with a side part, etc.) and it will eventually stop and your hair will come back. Good luck!

There is nothing you can do to stop the hair loss. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I've heard people say that Biotin works, which is a B-Vitamin, and you should be taking a B Complex Vitamin anyway, but I don't believe that adding extra Biotin will prevent Hair loss.< /p>

Having said that, I also don't think it's a bad idea to add additional B Vitamins to your routine either, as it's easy to become deficient in them post-op. Look for a B-complex vitamin where the B-12 comes from methylcobalamin and NOT cyanocobalamin. B Vitamins need a Protein called "intrinsic factor" to properly be absorbed by our bodies and that Protein is made within our stomachs. Remove 85% of your stomach and you remove 85% of the protein production. Pre-methlyated (methylcobalamin) B-12 will be absorbed without the need for additional Proteins secreted by the stomach. Maybe that will help with hair loss, maybe not, but it will help you from becoming deficient in B-vitamins, which is a good thing.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys [emoji4] I suppose now it's just a waiting game.

I tried all good and or expensive remedy, and lost most of my hair. Started at five months. Lasted 1 1/2 years. Finally I have hair again. A great wig, and visors helped me through the bad time.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My doctor said if you are one of the unlucky ones it doesn't matter what you do. It just has to run its course and it will grow back. I so want to be one of the lucky ones!!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

Have you considered taking a Biotin supplement? I have not had my surgery yet (next week on August 31), but my hairdresser recommended taking Biotin to help prevent hair loss. I've been taking it now for a month. We'll see if it helps!

most of the time I meet my goals. one thing is I eat eggs quite often in the morning - which has a lot of nutrients needed for good hair.

I haven't lost any excessive amounts of hair at 6 months out.

I lost quite a bit a number of years ago when my son moved into a group home, that was a very stressful time. (so much that I thought I would need a wig) I have not really allowed this wild ride to stress me out too much. nor did I cut calories too severely. I just followed the guidelines I was given, and it will come off as it comes off. I think stress - ether extremely low calories for a long time, or emotional stress over the process likely has something to do with it, but that is just going by my own personal experience.

Have you considered taking a Biotin supplement? I have not had my surgery yet (next week on August 31), but my hairdresser recommended taking Biotin to help prevent hair loss. I've been taking it now for a month. We'll see if it helps!

Biotin is WORTHLESS. Two years I paid money for this nonsense.

Have you considered taking a Biotin supplement? I have not had my surgery yet (next week on August 31), but my hairdresser recommended taking Biotin to help prevent Hair loss. I've been taking it now for a month. We'll see if it helps!

I've been taking a hair, skin and nails one since week 2 and there's biotin in my multi. I'm trying to do all the things that I've seen recommended but I'm guessing it varies person to person. So I'll see [emoji51]

Biotin is WORTHLESS. Two years I paid money for this nonsense.

@ hey now I found Biotin to be great if what you are looking to do is sprout new Hair growth everywhere from your eyebrows down to your ankles. hair on your head? Not so much. Nice bushy crops of hair on your chin, tummy, inner thighs? Biotin is for you!

I have to agree Biotin is useless unlike you enjoy having terrible skin.

Keeping your Iron up and adding Zinc (if you test low, don't just willy nilly add zinc), and meet your Protein goals so your hair grows back.

I have been taking Biotin for a few months now and my hair and nails grow like crazy. And I had good skin before. I am also using a satin cap for sleeping and Phyto brand serum for hair thinning due to stress or diet will it work will it matter who knows. I am only 8 week post op I do not have any loss. But I recognize this is early and it may happen. My goal is to lay ground work for at least it not being a big impact (like my hair is growing back faster) if not prevent by making for healthier hair now.

My nut said some studies indicate Biotin may be preventative but enough to be conclusive and that most important thing is to stay on plan and eat Protein.

Edited by chycky