Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

I would totally do it again. I was happy before I had surgery but life afterward is just amazing.

Yes. I'm a teacher and I was sleeved 7/12. I took off that week and returned to work for a week of professional development starting July 19 and was fine. I had the following week off and went back for good Aug 1.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I have just decided on having the sleeve. I am not planning on getting it done until June (I work in a school, so i'll have the Summer to recover) my feelings are flip flopping from super excited, to nervous, embarrassed that I let myself get to this point. I have always been a bad eater LOTS of carbs. I KNOW it's going to be hard, but I also KNOW I am ready. I'm afraid of throwing up.I have NOT thrown up in 40 years, since I was a kid. That part scares me. Plus, is 2 months long enough to be physically back to "normal?"And my biggest question...THose of you that have the sleeve.....WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN???

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Yes, without hesitation. I had a very positive experience with the surgery and recovery process, with minimal pain and discomfort. I never actually threw up during it. The only time that I ever did due to the sleeve was when I thoughtlessly guzzled Water after eating something spicier than I expected just a couple of months out. I got a stomach bug in December, but recovered more quickly than my husband who is the epitome of health and has never had WLS.

I also teach and had the surgery in the summer to have more time for recovery. I had the VSG on 8/18/15 and was teaching a full load plus advising a month later (I'm a professor). None of the fears I had prior to surgery actually happened to me during the past year. No complications, no loose skin, no major hair loss, no feelings of deprivation with food. My blood pressure had been on the high end of normal last year while on a medication for PCOS that lowers your bp, and is on the low end of normal and I haven't taken that medicine in 8 months. I reached my goal weight and feel fabulous.

This will hopefully be something that will change your life for the better as well. Go for it!

Thank you for your response. I was on meds for PCOS a few years ago,but then, suddenly they decided I "didn't have it anymore" I don't get that

I'm praying the surgery/weight loss solves my bp, arthritis, cholesterol problems.

Congratulations!

Yes, with the benefit of hindsight, I would do it again. I am three-weeks short of my 3-year surgiversary and my entire life has changed for the better. In the short-term, I was plenty miserable and thought I had ruined my life right after surgery but, wow, if I could forward to today and see my life, I would have second-guessed myself so much less.

Also, two months is more than enough to go back to feeling normal.

Hi. I have just decided on having the sleeve. I am not planning on getting it done until June (I work in a school, so i'll have the Summer to recover) my feelings are flip flopping from super excited, to nervous, embarrassed that I let myself get to this point. I have always been a bad eater LOTS of carbs. I KNOW it's going to be hard, but I also KNOW I am ready. I'm afraid of throwing up.I have NOT thrown up in 40 years, since I was a kid. That part scares me. Plus, is 2 months long enough to be physically back to "normal?"And my biggest question...THose of you that have the sleeve.....WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN???

Thank you

Yes, without hesitation. I had a very positive experience with the surgery and recovery process, with minimal pain and discomfort. I never actually threw up during it. The only time that I ever did due to the sleeve was when I thoughtlessly guzzled Water after eating something spicier than I expected just a couple of months out. I got a stomach bug in December, but recovered more quickly than my husband who is the epitome of health and has never had WLS.

I also teach and had the surgery in the summer to have more time for recovery. I had the VSG on 8/18/15 and was teaching a full load plus advising a month later (I'm a professor). None of the fears I had prior to surgery actually happened to me during the past year. No complications, no loose skin, no major hair loss, no feelings of deprivation with food. My blood pressure had been on the high end of normal last year while on a medication for PCOS that lowers your bp, and is on the low end of normal and I haven't taken that medicine in 8 months. I reached my goal weight and feel fabulous.

This will hopefully be something that will change your life for the better as well. Go for it!

I hope this isn't too personal of a question, but I was wondering how much you have lost. I need to lose at least 130lbs, and I am concerned about extra skin.

@@char3672 straight up truth is I reckon I've already GOT the extra skin, it's just plumped out by fat. I'd rather it be empty. ;) then I'll get rid of it if I need to.

I would have the sleeve at least a couple of times each year if I needed to (in an imaginary universe where that is possible).

I haven't thrown up once since surgery.

It's good that you know it is going to be hard. Too many people walk into this thinking the sleeve will do all the work for them. The sleeve will enable you to do the hard work, but it'll still be work! The way I saw it described once was, imagine you have no shelter and want to build a house. You have three options. First, don't try to build a house and just sleep outside in the wind and rain (equivalent: don't bother trying to lose weight and just suffer the consequences). Second, build a house but choose a popsicle stick as your tool of choice for driving nails and an emery board to use in cutting lumber (diet and exercise). Third, get yourself a hammer and a power table saw (surgery). You are going to still be the one swinging the hammer and working hard to build the house, but now you have appropriate tools and it is possible.

My recovery was easy as surgical recoveries go. I never regretted it, even for an instant. This was hands down the best choice I have made for my physical and emotional health in my entire life. I am down approximately 200 lbs and my life is immeasurably better. Good luck to you!

I had no complications after surgery. No vomiting, only a few brief episodes of feeling nauseous, didn't use pain meds and was up and going in a few days. My only problem was I have arthritis and was not able to take ibuprofen. Without it, my hip was hurting...but not my incisions. For me the only struggle I had post-op was learning how to drink and eat properly. That took a lot of mental energy the first several months. I also couldn't stand anything sweet post-op...really had a hard time with Protein drinks. broth was my new best friend.

I think the hardest part for me was pre-surgery. I was scheduled for surgery at noon and didn't go in until 5:30pm. Was basically a nervous wreck by the time they took me into the OR.

I, like most everyone else, would do this surgery again in a heartbeat. So worth it !!!!! At 65yrs old, I have lots of loose skin after losing 100lbs but as someone else said, it's better than having that skin filled with fat ! I have a life again and can do things I haven't done in years. I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father who guided and supported me on this path.

It makes me feel so much better when I read posts like this. I know I have a long time before my surgery, but I want to get as much information as I can. Thank you and congratulations!

Absolutely! I'll be 2 years post-op on September 1st. I've been maintaining below goal for about a year now. I'm running a marathon on September 18th. A MARATHON!!! Can you believe that?!?!

Was there some pain and misery in the early weeks? For sure! Was there a period of adjustment in the early months? Heck yeah! Did I wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again? Yep! For a long time!

But now that is all a VERY distant memory! I am happy and healthy and enjoying all aspects of my life!

Thank you

I hope this isn't too personal of a question, but I was wondering how much you have lost. I need to lose at least 130lbs, and I am concerned about extra skin.

I've lost 82 pounds at a relatively slow pace over the course of the past year. My starting BMI was low for having the VSG. From what I've read here some people who've lost over 100 pounds have experienced minimal loose skin. I think there are various factors involved, from how rapidly you lose the weight, how long you'd been at the highest weight, and your age.