Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

Yup, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I never had any throwing up. I did have a hard time with nausea right after surgery and it lasted about a day and a half. Because of that I ended up staying an extra night in hospital but that wasn't a big deal. Pain was minimal, it felt like I had done a horrendous ab workout. I have a physical job so I was out for 4 weeks.

But here I am now, 3 months and 10 days out and 65 lbs lighter. I still have a long way to go but I am thrilled at my progress so far. I've just emptied half my closet of things that don't fit me anymore and am looking forward to shopping!

In just 3 months my quality of life has improved so much, I can't wait to see what the future will bring :)

No, I wouldnt. Yes, I'm losing weight like crazy, yes, I feel healthier, and am healthier, but no, I would not do it again. I would work my ass off and just stick to the pre-op diet to lose weight. I just have a weird feeling every single day that I wake up. I dread eating because of the pain, yet long to taste flavor. I'm only 26, so I feel like I should have buckled down one last time and tried to lose on my own again. I'm only 1 month post op, so this feeling could go away soon, but for now I wish I had never gotten the surgery. Nothing tastes good to me, and my biggest concern is that I can't chug Water anymore without severe pain. I also get nauseous every single time I have to take a Vitamin. I'm sure one day I'll come to appreciate the pouch, but for now it's my worst enemy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

When I was seeking to learn about people's experiences with WLS before I had the VSG last August I watched many YouTube videos and read a couple of books, and several people said that "buyer's remorse" was common in the first month or two. I'd braced myself to have it as well, but was fortunate to experience minimal problems. There are exceptions I'm sure, but everyone I read about / watched a video of who said they regretted the surgery during their early post-op time later reversed their feelings when the problems abated and they started to feel and look substantially better.

My tastebuds took on a whole new personality in the first few weeks out, and a lot of flavors I used to like or at least tolerate were sickening to me. I'd been taking Flintstones Complete during pre-op and actually kind of liked the taste of them, but literally gagged during the first month. I used to love this diet lemonade from a cafe near me, and took one sip of the $4 drink a couple of weeks post-op and threw it away. I was revolted by it. By 10 weeks out, my tastebuds had returned to their usual selves. I also could drink water normally, though I still find that I'm better off if it's been enhanced in some water (lime juice with a tiny bit of raspberry SF Torani Syrup splashed in is my favorite). I also became nauseous when I took Vitamins during the first couple of months. My doctor told me that it was fine for me to skip taking vitamins for a while until I could tolerate them again, because it was counterproductive for me to take them and then risk vomiting. I did eventually find a vitamin that settled well with me - Vitamin Code by Garden of Life, which I took with a morning smoothie and never on an empty stomach. I switched back to taking Flintstones later on when they tasted fine to me again. My blood work has been excellent, and I saw no negative consequences from the weeks when I wasn't taking a vitamin.

I had the VSG in my early 30s with a relatively low BMI. Like @@JamieLogical I viewed it not just as a means for losing weight but for maintaining weight loss. I saw my weight creep up after age 25, and how it became increasingly difficult for me to sustain weight loss. I was a yoyo champion. I also viewed surgery as a preventive measure. My dad developed Type 2 diabetes in his early 60s despite being athletic his whole life (played basketball for a major college team, then coached for decades) and never having a super high BMI (I'm guessing it was probably about 35 at its highest). Just being overweight longterm can be damaging. My endocrinologist is the one who had recommended the surgery to me because I have PCOS and difficulty conceiving. She said that maintaining a healthy weight can significantly help with fertility.

Yesterday was my 1 year mark since surgery. I've gone from a size 14 to a size 4. It took time but I cultivated sustainable eating habits for keeping the weight off, without feeling deprived. My PCOS symptoms have been alleviated which gives me at a much better chance of conceiving, my blood pressure is stellar, and I feel happier and healthier. I hope you'll feel the same this time next year. :)

I am so happy for you. I hope I have the same experience. I am still a ling way off (June 2017) I'm not sure if that's a good thing(since I can do alot of research and prepare) or a bad thing(because I can hear about the "nrgatives") but your story makes me feel better! Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I am so happy for you. I hope I have the same experience. I am still a ling way off (June 2017) I'm not sure if that's a good thing(since I can do alot of research and prepare) or a bad thing(because I can hear about the "nrgatives") but your story makes me feel better! Keep up the great work!

In all honesty ...

Week 1. Totally Sucks / regret

Week 2. Really Sucks / regret

Week 3. Sucks less / regret

Week 4. This is not so bad / less regret

Week 5. Things are looking better

Week 6. Normal foods / less regret

Week 7. What surgery? And look at all that extra money I have left over at the end of the week

Week 8. Life is good. / no regrets (except I should've done it sooner)

-66 total since 6/6 pre-op diet started

-51 since 6/20

I don't recognize myself in the mirror, and I must say I'm looking hot!!!! But more importantly, sleep apnea, blood pressure and cholesterol are all working themselves out now. I wanted to lose 79 lbs (to get to my high school weight) ... But at this point I can't see not passing right by that.

Some people have complications, one friend took 5 months to start eating solids again, and threw up constantly. Another is miserable and can't even drink Water 2 months out. Everyone's experiences are different!! I'm just lucky I suppose. (This was the sleeve btw)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Seagull

I'm expecting (from what I've read) that the first few weeks will be hard. I just hope that I don't have the vomiting issue(it's a phobia of mine) that's the ONLY thing worrying me. I'm so happy you are doing well! Post pics of your results when you get to your goal!!!

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner. Best life decision I ever made.

In all honesty ...

Week 7. What surgery? And look at all that extra money I have left over at the end of the week

-51 since 6/20

I don't recognize myself in the mirror, and I must say I'm looking hot!!!! But more importantly, sleep apnea, blood pressure and cholesterol are all working themselves out now. I wanted to lose 79 lbs (to get to my high school weight) ... But at this point I can't see not passing right by that.

Some people have complications, one friend took 5 months to start eating solids again, and threw up constantly. Another is miserable and can't even drink Water 2 months out. Everyone's experiences are different!! I'm just lucky I suppose. (This was the sleeve btw)

Love your list! Will be helpful to keep this post somewhere to refer to after surgery - can this be done here? Laughed about the "look at all the money I have left over at the end of the week" - I can relate!

In all honesty ...

-51 since 6/20

Love your list! Will be helpful to keep this post somewhere to refer to after surgery - can this be done here? Laughed about the "look at all the money I have left over at the end of the week" - I can relate!

BTW - meant to ask - do you think the two people you know that are/have experienced such terrible complications did something differently than you did to prepare for the surgery?

In all honesty ...

-51 since 6/20

Screen shot it :)

In all honesty ...

-51 since 6/20

BTW - meant to ask - do you think the two people you know that are/have experienced such terrible complications did something differently than you did to prepare for the surgery?

I think all of the research and stupid questions (which turned out to not be that stupid in the end) prepared me for it. One went well before and one went about 1.5 months after me.

As far as reintroducing foods, I did it like going from a newborn to a child.

Started off with all liquids, then baby food (literally baby food - Apple sauces only), then puréed, then soft foods, then I went with a hot dog. About 5 days on each step.

I didn't vomit even once, so I must've done it right ????

I'm not sure if I rambled or went off topic lol

In all honesty ...

-51 since 6/20

I think all of the research and stupid questions (which turned out to not be that stupid in the end) prepared me for it. One went well before and one went about 1.5 months after me.

As far as reintroducing foods, I did it like going from a newborn to a child.

Started off with all liquids, then baby food (literally baby food - Apple sauces only), then puréed, then soft foods, then I went with a hot dog. About 5 days on each step.

I didn't vomit even once, so I must've done it right

I'm not sure if I rambled or went off topic lol

All helpful - thanks!

I'm expecting (from what I've read) that the first few weeks will be hard. I just hope that I don't have the vomiting issue(it's a phobia of mine) that's the ONLY thing worrying me. I'm so happy you are doing well! Post pics of your results when you get to your goal!!!

I'm six weeks out and have not vomited once

I think ANY doubt I had about having the surgery left me today. I went back to work (I work in a school, we are closed for the Summer) and not only did I get passed over for a promotion because my boss wants someone with "more confidance", but when I got home, I had to take pain meds and go right to bed. My back and knees hurt so bad, I could just about finish my day. I HAVE to get this weight off!!!! (I work with Toddlers, it's very physical. Holding them, getting up and down off the floor, bending down to pick stuff up etc) I can't wait to be out of pain.

would I do it again? IN A HOT DAMn MINUTE.

No vomiting here either. EVER. a little dumping, but all related to eating things i really shouldn't be eating.

able to eat ALL foods without problems. Dumping when eating ice cream or heavy "RICH" foods.

i had zero control over my life. Now i make decisions based on my happiness, not on my physical abilities. i left a job i was really unhappy in (but stayed because i was expert level and i didn't have to do a whole lot to keep learning, AND i didn't have to do a ton of physical movement). went to a job that i LOVE and am moving and learning more daily!

i took control of my own future. yes, i have gained a few pounds back, but i recognize it, i am seeing new doc and nut and i'm taking control of the situation.