Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

I assume you mean June 2017 for surgery? (wasn't sure if this was an older post). I haven't had it done yet - but seriously looking into it. Throwing up - I was going to ask this question in here somewhere - vomiting is violent and comes from the stomach so I'm feel squeamish thinking about it should it happen right after the surgery!

Hi. I have just decided on having the sleeve. I am not planning on getting it done until June (I work in a school, so i'll have the Summer to recover) my feelings are flip flopping from super excited, to nervous, embarrassed that I let myself get to this point. I have always been a bad eater LOTS of carbs. I KNOW it's going to be hard, but I also KNOW I am ready. I'm afraid of throwing up.I have NOT thrown up in 40 years, since I was a kid. That part scares me. Plus, is 2 months long enough to be physically back to "normal?"And my biggest question...THose of you that have the sleeve.....WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN???

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I threw up the day after surgery. I also had the dry heaves several times during my hospital stay. I won't lie, it hurt, but it wasn't as bad as you might think. At this stage, you really don't have a whole lot in your stomach to throw up but I was definitely worried about the dry heaves since I kept thinking how hard it must be on my new stomach. Apparently quite common though!
I'm DREADING that! But it's a small price to pay for getting healthy. I have struggled my whole life, so I am ready!!!

I used to be terrified of throwing up too, it was just something I NEVER did. My longest streak was 12 years, lol. Even when I would get so sick to my stomach with the flu that I'd hope and pray I would throw up it just never happened.

I assume you mean June 2017 for surgery? (wasn't sure if this was an older post). I haven't had it done yet - but seriously looking into it. Throwing up - I was going to ask this question in here somewhere - vomiting is violent and comes from the stomach so I'm feel squeamish thinking about it should it happen right after the surgery!

Hi. I have just decided on having the sleeve. I am not planning on getting it done until June (I work in a school, so i'll have the Summer to recover) my feelings are flip flopping from super excited, to nervous, embarrassed that I let myself get to this point. I have always been a bad eater LOTS of carbs. I KNOW it's going to be hard, but I also KNOW I am ready. I'm afraid of throwing up.I have NOT thrown up in 40 years, since I was a kid. That part scares me. Plus, is 2 months long enough to be physically back to "normal?"And my biggest question...THose of you that have the sleeve.....WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN???

Thank you

I threw up the day after surgery. I also had the dry heaves several times during my hospital stay. I won't lie, it hurt, but it wasn't as bad as you might think. At this stage, you really don't have a whole lot in your stomach to throw up but I was definitely worried about the dry heaves since I kept thinking how hard it must be on my new stomach. Apparently quite common though!
I'm DREADING that! But it's a small price to pay for getting healthy. I have struggled my whole life, so I am ready!!!

I used to be terrified of throwing up too, it was just something I NEVER did. My longest streak was 12 years, lol. Even when I would get so sick to my stomach with the flu that I'd hope and pray I would throw up it just never happened.

Maybe since I don't "normally" get sick, I won't! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know I have a long time before my surgery, but I'm trying to get as much info as I possibly can

Thank you

Did you have the sleeve?

I'm 5 days post op and have not vomited or dry heaves once. I follow the plan, just sip with breaks in between. Everything you read doesn't happen to all.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I'm 5 days post op and have not vomited or dry heaves once. I follow the plan, just sip with breaks in between. Everything you read doesn't happen to all.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Thank you!!!! I'm planning on following the plan to the letter!!! Good luck!!!

Did you have the sleeve?

Not yet! I'm getting my paperwork in order still. I just used to be terrified of vomiting so I was commiserating. It happened about 10 times after my last surgery and I overcame my phobia. It's really not as bad as you're remembering.

Did you have the sleeve?

Not yet! I'm getting my paperwork in order still. I just used to be terrified of vomiting so I was commiserating. It happened about 10 times after my last surgery and I overcame my phobia. It's really not as bad as you're remembering.

I REALLY HOPE NOT! Lol. Good luck with everything!!!!

Did you have the sleeve?

I REALLY HOPE NOT! Lol. Good luck with everything!!!!

I promise! I used to be so afraid of throwing up (until I'd get so nauseous that I couldn't stand it but even then I never could). It's really not that big of a deal. I still don't ever do it but I'm not scared any more and now I really wish I could when my stomach hurts, lol

What is the paperwork? I hear everyone talk about it. I spoke to the coordinator at the hosp, she called my ins co and they said its covered, just a 150 a day co-pay for the hospital. Is approval the "paperwork"?

I would do it a dozen more times! My surgery was on Monday 5/16/16 and I was back working the following Monday. I had absolutely no problems. I'm now three months post op and I'm already down 61 pounds!.......I didn't throw up until the first meal I had when I moved to the soft food stage....it was fish and I just ate one bite too much.....but throwing up after being sleeved isn't anything like before. I was terrified of throwing up so when I felt it coming on it was scary....but it wasn't a big deal and I learned from that point to make sure to measure my food and only eat that amount.......since then I've thrown up two other times and interestingly enough both times were when I ate watermelon.....again I think I ate too much.....I love watermelon, so even though I threw up two times in a row after eating it I had it a third time but only a very small amount and that time it was fine...hahaha

My advice is to do lots and lots of research even attend some support group meetings....they are usually put on by the baritric center and most of the time open to anyone. Also know that all the feelings you've had so far are normal and all of us that have already had the surgery have been right where you are.

Good luck!

What is the paperwork? I hear everyone talk about it. I spoke to the coordinator at the hosp, she called my ins co and they said its covered, just a 150 a day co-pay for the hospital. Is approval the "paperwork"?

Call your insurance company and ask them to send you all the requirements for weight loss surgery....each insurance is different but there may be a requirement for a supervised weight loss program...usually either 3 or 6 months.....but call them and ask for the policy so you know exactly what you need to do in order to qualify.

Thank you so much for your response. I definitely have alot to learn. I have alot of time to learn it, so hopefully I'll be well informed going into it. Congratulations on doing so well.

Call your insurance company and ask them to send you all the requirements for weight loss surgery....each insurance is different but there may be a requirement for a supervised weight loss program...usually either 3 or 6 months.....but call them and ask for the policy so you know exactly what you need to do in order to qualify.

I will tomorrow. I thought that's what the corrfinator did since she told me we couldn't start anything until 3 months before surgery. But I'll find out tom. Thank you

I will tomorrow. I thought that's what the corrfinator did since she told me we couldn't start anything until 3 months before surgery. But I'll find out tom. Thank you

Yes it really is good that you have all this time. The first thing I would do is call the insurance company and find out all the requirements......because if yours requires a 6 month medically supervised weight loss program you don't want to wait till June to start that.....but maybe that's what she meant when she said you can't do anything until 3 months prior to surgery....maybe you have a 3 month weight loss program requirement.....either way get the information yourself...and you're insurance will probably renew in January so make sure you call after that and get the updated requirements.....I retired after working in insurance for 29 years .....knowing your requirements and having them in writing is the best thing you can do for yourself.

You're already off to a great start! research research research!!

I can't comment on the insurance stuff b/c I'm self pay but right now I need to get an echo on my heart, a psych eval, and a clearance letter from my GP so I have all of those appts scheduled for the last week of August. Once they get all the proper paperwork on all of those appointments I'll get a surgery date as long as everything is clear. Some people also have to have an endoscopy. I know that going through insurance is usually a bit of a nightmare so I'd say you got lucky on that one!

Also just to add, make sure you have ALL the info. Just because your insurance DOES cover the procedure doesn't mean they won't make it a hassle. Most companies make you go through 6 months of supervised dieting via your GP on top of their other requirements. It might end up good that you have almost a year ;)

EDIT: I didn't read through the new posts and realize that someone had already said all of this. Sorry!