Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is on Monday and I'm wondering what do I have to stay away from forever?! I do plan on talking about this with my doctor before or after surgery. Am I not gonna be able to have burritos and burgers again. I really like my burritos with green chili and same with my burger. If not forever how long do I wait for them? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That's a really long, loaded topic. Short version is you might be able to eat most anything, but eating most anything won't help you meet any weight loss goals you might have.

There are books filled with post-op eating plans, but the final say should come from your surgeon. One of the best ones I've read so far is "Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies".... Don't let the title fool you, there's lots of great info in it, and it's way more than recipes.

Edited by gina171

That's a really long, loaded topic. Short version is you'll be able to eat most anything, but eating most anything won't help you meet any weight loss goals you might have.

There are books filled with post-op eating plans, but the final say should come from your surgeon. One of the best ones I've read so far is "Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies".... Don't let the title fool you, there's lots of great info in it, and it's way more than recipes.

Thank u. I'm not talking about right away but father down the line. I'll look into the book. Thanks

My surgery is on Monday and I'm wondering what do I have to stay away from forever?! I do plan on talking about this with my doctor before or after surgery. Am I not gonna be able to have burritos and burgers again. I really like my burritos with green chili and same with my burger. If not forever how long do I wait for them? Thanks again

You can eat burritos and burgers - although it's not advisable to eat the roll (or even the tortilla) until you have been through the weight loss period. You can have the refried Beans, cheese, etc as soon as your allowed purees or soft food so that will help you not to feel deprived. The quantity of your meals will be very small so you'll need to concentrate on Protein first. The only things suggested to stay away from long-term (forever) on my plan is bread, Pasta and rice. I'm surprised you haven't already received this info from your surgeon with a surgery so soon. Best of luck!

@@KristenLe I only seen my surgeon once. I was supposed to do 6months of classes but then the insurance company toke that I was seeing my family doctor for management for more than 6 months so they just scheduled it asap. Hopefully he explain more on Monday. I just want my green chili.

@@KristenLe I only seen my surgeon once. I was supposed to do 6months of classes but then the insurance company toke that I was seeing my family doctor for management for more than 6 months so they just scheduled it asap. Hopefully he explain more on Monday. I just want my green chili.

This is a HUGE problem, in my opinion, and borders on malpractice. This is NOT a surgery to be taken lightly or to consent to without extensive teaching about the reality of having 3/4 of your stomach removed. My program has what's called a Bariatric Pathway that you HAVE to complete prior to having an appointment with a surgeon to even discuss which surgery, etc. On average, it takes 4-8 months to complete. We have to meet with dietitians numerous times, go to classes about food, exercise and wellness. I had to have all my health screening requirements for an entire year completed before I could see the surgeon (for me, that was a pap smear, mammogram and colonoscopy). We have an occupational therapy class, as well as body fat analysis and a resting metabolic rate test. We also have to attend support group monthly prior to surgery and quarterly after, and we have an in-depth psychological screening.

It just seems so very, very wrong that someone can get to the Saturday before a Monday surgery and have had no classes with nutrition and only 1 contact with a surgeon.

Mommylove2014, you will see your surgeon for about 45 seconds on Monday before you're on the OR table and asleep. The people you'll see when you go in for surgery are surgery experts, but they have zero information about post-op care, unless you're having surgery in a place that only does bariatrics.

I urge you to do as much online research as you can in the next 36 hours, and if you still don't know the answer to 'can I ever have a burrito again?', consider postponing your surgery until you can complete the needed educational steps to gain an understanding of the enormity of what you're getting ready to do. I don't see how any surgeon or surgical team with any professional scruples could have you sign a consent form without understanding the rudimentary needs of post op life.

I wish you all the best, and any irritation in my writing isn't toward you, but toward medical practitioners who don't properly educate their patients.

This is a HUGE problem, in my opinion, and borders on malpractice. This is NOT a surgery to be taken lightly or to consent to without extensive teaching about the reality of having 3/4 of your stomach removed. My program has what's called a Bariatric Pathway that you HAVE to complete prior to having an appointment with a surgeon to even discuss which surgery, etc. On average, it takes 4-8 months to complete. We have to meet with dietitians numerous times, go to classes about food, exercise and wellness. I had to have all my health screening requirements for an entire year completed before I could see the surgeon (for me, that was a pap smear, mammogram and colonoscopy). We have an occupational therapy class, as well as body fat analysis and a resting metabolic rate test. We also have to attend support group monthly prior to surgery and quarterly after, and we have an in-depth psychological screening.

It just seems so very, very wrong that someone can get to the Saturday before a Monday surgery and have had no classes with nutrition and only 1 contact with a surgeon.

Mommylove2014, you will see your surgeon for about 45 seconds on Monday before you're on the OR table and asleep. The people you'll see when you go in for surgery are surgery experts, but they have zero information about post-op care, unless you're having surgery in a place that only does bariatrics.

I urge you to do as much online research as you can in the next 36 hours, and if you still don't know the answer to 'can I ever have a burrito again?', consider postponing your surgery until you can complete the needed educational steps to gain an understanding of the enormity of what you're getting ready to do. I don't see how any surgeon or surgical team with any professional scruples could have you sign a consent form without understanding the rudimentary needs of post op life.

I wish you all the best, and any irritation in my writing isn't toward you, but toward medical practitioners who don't properly educate their patients.

I didn't have to do the classes due to me doing nutritional classes with my primary care doctor. I did the psych exam. I was given a lot of information at my binder appointment on the 3rd so much information I was just asking because I forgot to ask when I was there. Every practice is different normally this practice u have to do 6 months of classes with them but because I seen my doctor for over a year they said I didn't need to have the classes.

@@mommylove2014 The weight loss classes with a PCP aren't going to give you instructions on living and eating post surgery. Please ask to speak to a nutritionist when you are in the hospital and go over any questions. My Nutritionist will be at the hospital post-op.

Edited by KristenLe

Three years after surgery, no bread, potatoes, rice, or Pasta in our house. Fact of life. I miss them terribly but would overeat and my husband would not eat. It helps me.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App