Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to stick with current eating plan, getting new foods is scary

I was supposed to follow an eating plan prior to surgery. The 2nd day in I found my surgery date would have to be postponed.This was okay, because I didn't have the stuff to make my doctors specific drink, and this gave me time. While I was looking for the ingredients for the drink my doctor wanted me to make and consume have twice a day I realized I was repulsed with the recipe. I couldn't stand the idea of drinking egg whites. My brain knows it is fine, but I didn't like the notion, so pre op I cooked the eggs. The doc said it was fine. I told him twice more post op how I cooked my eggs, because he seemed fine with it. I wanted to make sure we all really understood. Eventually I mixed drink with milk, and kept on with my cooked eggs. I like the Soups, so I enjoyed a lot of them. When I was allowed I added Greek yogurt. I did a great job with the liver prep, because I did it for 3 weeks pre op. It has become kinda habitual.

I didn't really want change anything. I have lost more than 500 lbs in 4 big diet extremes, and when I had surgery last month I became aware that at 55 I'm at my last shot, and I weighed about 280. I kinda want to be like the gambler, alcoholic, narcotics addict, and just be done with the stupid food thing, one day at a time.

I have physical problems docs seem to think i won't be able to work on until I lose weight. I am having a sedentary recovery.

I feel lucky I found this site pretty fast post of, I do wish I had found it sooner. Maybe I would have prepared better. No, I probably would have rushed right in.

Does anyone else feel like I do? Is anyone else fearful to move beyond a comfortable step?

Do you have to change anything? If you're still losing weight, maybe take the time you enjoy being on the liquid/soft foods and take advantage of it? Most of us were ready to chew on our arm by the time we got off of liquids because not having regular food was terrible, but if you don't mind it...why not use this time to lose extra weight? When you're sick of these foods, you'll be well ahead of goal.

Past that though, I tend to avoid certain foods because I know they will probably make me sick, which means I tend to eat the same things, every single day. I have been at goal for 18 months, and since I eat the same stuff, it isn't really hard to maintain as long as I pay attention. I'm at the point where I don't care a whole lot if I don't get the same food as everyone else because at this point, I fit into clothes that no one else does, lol. With every reward, there comes sacrifice I suppose, and mine seems to be that I no longer care even a little bit about food. It's a nice feeling, and one that I hope lasts forever.

If you're content on the liquid/ soft foods and you are hitting your nutritional needs- enjoy them. No need to mix things up if this is working for you until you are good and ready to do so.

@@happy2bjcox

If you are cool with how you are eating, stay there until you are comfortable moving on. I had scrambled eggs because that was one of the first things I was allowed, even though I hate scrambled eggs. It sucked. You don't have to move stages just because you are required to.

I was afraid to move forward but I have a team that really stresses getting back on whole foods and eating healthy foods. it is a struggle since we obviously do not have a healthy relationship with food, or we would not need surgery.

So, while I agree with the above responses (if you are meeting needs and loosing weight no reason to rush yourself) it ia also good to go over this with the practice you use because I know my team would be very displeased with me if I had not moved forward, and I have to admit as I am almost 6 months out, they seem to know what they are doing. Each practice has a little different philosophy on these issues.

Don't let fear rule. I am 7 weeks post op and have had zero problems with food. I take small bites and eat slowly. Once I was allowed solid foods again , I don't feel like I am on a diet. I am able to just eat smaller portions.

Don't rush yourself but dont be afraid because that may make it more difficult to eat.

Have you talked to a therapist about your relationship with food? I too started at an extremely high weight and am on disability. We don't get to be super morbidly obese and disabled due to a healthy relationship with food. Years of dieting can really do a number on our heads.

I highly recommend that you talk with a good counselor or therapist who works with bariatric patients. Your surgeon may have someone on staff or be able to refer you to someone.

There are some good books you may want to read. One is called Eat it Up! by Connie Stapleton. She posts on this site periodically.

Have you considered going to some Overeaters Anonymous meetings? You can find meeting lists (in-person and phone), as well as podcasts and other resources online at OA.org.

Best of luck. You can go slow in introducing foods but you may find you are happier and healthier in the long run if you learn to eat a variety of fresh, while, "real" foods.