Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have three medications I take regularly, 1 of which I have stopped since my surgery for the time being since it isn't really important, but the other two I need to be taking. As far as I know there are no alternative forms of these (levothyroxine and topiramate) so I am forced to take the crushed pills twice daily. The topiramate is AWFUL. Today I tried mixing it with chocolate pudding and I had to keep adding more pudding until I had added almost 1 1/2 cps just to make it bearable. Obviously that is not a reasonable amount to eat just post op RnY. It takes about a cup of cottage cheese for the same effect. So I'm wondering if anyone has a better suggestion. Tonight I'll try applesauce but I don't see how that will be much better. How long until I will be able to stomach taking the pill whole? It is a very very small pill. I have an appointment on Tuesday with my surgeon but in the mean time I'm struggling. Please help!

Thanks!

~Molly

I was taking three pills a day by a week out. Never had any problems. My bariatric center has an "as tolerated" sort of policy about pills after the first couples of days.

If you like spicy stuff, try Tabasco sauce, (or whatever pepper sauce you prefer). It doesn't take much to kill the flavor of crushed meds.

My doctor said I could take any whole pill that was equal or smaller than an M&M. I've never had any problems taking anything.

After my RNY gastric bypass surgery, I found that I could no longer swallow large to medium size pills. So I either crushed or split them. My medicines were reduced as a result of surgery, so most of what I was taking was Vitamins. The large Citrical Calcium supplements as a powder was the worse because they tasted like taking caulk. I would add the powder into a glass of Crystal Light and drink the glass down quickly. But because much of the Calcium paste remained at the bottom of the glass, I had to fill up the glass and repeat, and then repeat a third time to get most of it down. This process made getting my daily Fluid requirements a breeze.

After a couple months, I found that I was even able to swallow the Citracal size horseflies whole without a problem.

Also do as @@WLSResources/ClothingExch suggested and check to verify with your surgical team if the specific medicines that you are taking can be crushed. Some medicines are not meant to be crushed and can be dangerous to consume in crushed form.

With regard to @@James Marusek's note --

For someone who is taking supplements or other meds in powder form and must drink refill after refill liquid because the powder settles to the bottom of the glass: It should help to take a gulp, stir well, gulp, stir well and so on until the powder and one glass of liquid are down. That is, if refilling the glass a couple or more times is more than a person can stand at one sitting.

Minor correction: It is the pharmacist who can advise on crushability (the mfr's website should give the answer, too). It's the surgery practice that I'd talk to about their prohibitions of whole pills at various times or forever. Alternately, ask the surgery people, if you wish, but definitely verify with the pharmacist.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@DeeryLou

You should have no problem swallowing the levothryoxine as it is smaller than an eraser head. I also took toprimate but mine where smaller as well and I had no problem swallowing those.

The rule of thumb I was given was: as long as the pill is no bigger than an eraser head you can swallow it. If it is bigger then cut them in half or if it is a capsule, open the capsule and swallow the little stuff inside. I had to do that with Nexium but only for a month after surgery and tasted awful.

They had me use a spoonful of applesauce to take it.

I too was told any pill smaller than a m&m I could swallow. Many that I take are that small. I also take 2 capsules that I had to open and swallow with unsweetened applesauce. But after2 weeks I was able to swallow those, my surgeon also gave me liquid pain releaver.

I wonder about most of my medication now after surgery, can I go to lower dose? Does the capsule I take stay longer in the belly/intestines ? Or am I just flushing my pills right out? I see my psych dr later this month, those are mainly the pills I really have to stay on. Hmmm, the Abilify I was on stopped working, went to Seraquel and it caused upset stomach, my body jumping and jerking and dry ness in the mouth. Now on Latuda and my symptoms are still with me... Has anyone else have problems with their meds messing up?

Have you tried Tirosint? It is a thyroid med for people who have absorption problems. It's a tiny gel cap

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I have problems with them staying in my body so they work properly. I'm on some 24 hour pills, and I have to wonder if my symptoms I'm having is because of my sleeve? When I take a pain pill its only lasting 3 hours, then I'm ready for another one, but I have to wait 3 more hours.

My bipolar meds need adjusted big time! Went from Abilify to Seraquel to Latuda. My symptoms still aren't under control.

I had issues drugs stopped working surgeon office sent me to physiatrist that works with Bariatric patients on med issues as all labs were normal. He ran a special genetic test and it showed the ones that my body would not process and that even tho my folic acid was normal my genetic makeup I no longer was using in my brain for the serotonin uptake. Changed my antidepressant added Delpin capsules take together big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Whoops, I think I didn't clarify, my issue isn't with absorption, its just taste. I tried the applesauce though and crisis averted! I was able to sort of "bury" the powder in a small amount and swallow it with out ever tasting it. My surgeon requires me to crush all meds for 4 weeks, but didn't say anything about size. I am going ask tomorrow at my 1 week follow up though because both of my pills are tiny. At this point I don't think I can swallow them whole regardless, I've always had issues swallowing them due to them getting stuck in my throat, and needed to chug Water to get them down, which is something I just can't do anymore. If this didn't work I was definitely going to try the tobasco!