Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of some encouragemet

So I am a little more than 2 weeks post op on pureed food phase and today I just don't feel good. I had my drain removed a week postop and I've been feeling pain on that side. If I sit too long it hurts, and it's uncomfortable. Yesterday I tried pureed chicken again, and my pouch was not happy. I am not throwing up, but just gagging over the toilet while nothing comes out (TMI). I was nauseous again this morning and now a little better. I have been sipping on some crystal light. I just feel right now so horrible. I am overwhelmed with emotions, and with this pain on my side and I feel like it's neverending. Please pass some words of encouragement, thank you.

Edited by Elyse519

@@Elyse519

I am so sorry you are having a rough time. How are you going on liquids? The reason I ask is that if you are even slightly dehydrated you will feel like crap. Weak, tired, dizzy and nauseous are all symptoms of dehydration.

chicken can be rough for some to eat until they are a bit further out. In fact I got the same feeling you describe when trying to eat pureed meat of any kind. I tried ground chicken, ground turkey, tuna, ground beef. I literally would gag and gag. So, I went back to Greek yogurt, Protein shakes, cottage cheese, sf pudding, creamed Soups and the full liquid diet until the pureed stage was done. For me, that was 4 weeks post op.

I felt better almost immediately which told me I just needed to go slower.

At 4 weeks I was cleared to do soft moist foods like chicken, fish, ground meats, veggies cooked well. I had to go slow and try one thing at a time. I will never forget the day I made my first very juicy chicken breast and a teaspoon of sweet potato. I swore I never tasted anything so good before. LOL. Then for about another 6 weeks there were days when chicken worked and days when it didn't. When it did it had to be good and moist. Don't over cook it.

Try drinking more fluids and don't worry so much about the pureed meats for now. I bet you will start feeling better. Of course contact your nut to validate but that is what mine told me to do and it worked.

I've heard that some things you may have liked you may not like after surgery, not sure if that's the case with the chicken. I will encourage you NOT to give up, I had my surgery on the 26th so I'm still on the liquid diet and honestly if I never see another Protein shake I'd be happy lol counting down my days to puree foods! with the chicken did you mix it with a little lowfat mayo to make it a little more Creamer that way you may be able to get it down, other than that I know it's hard especially when you don't have a appetite in the first place. keep your chin up :)

I am having a harder time with liquids, I am trying Gatorade and crystal light to meet my requirement because it's hard for me to get just Water in.

I did puree the chicken with a little low fat mayo but I think my pouch wasn't having it. I am concentrating so hard on Protein intake that I don't think I am concentrating enough on liquids.

Sorry you're struggling. I was advised to make fluids my first priority, even before Protein. You won't have complications this early if you don't meet your protein goals, but you will have complications from not meeting fluid goals. Make it a priority! Sip sip sip. Hope it gets easier for you!

I know right now thing are very hard. I know I went through a very similar time in my process. Have a very emotional time during the first month's is very normal is to be excepted. I am 5 months out still get emotional. As far as the pain and trouble with food. They will all get better, I know it's hard to believe right now but it will. You just have to take it one day at a time. And you have to only worry about your own progress and not try to compare to other when it comes to how your body excepts the process.

I will you the best and keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I know it is easy to say now, but it will all be worth it!

I am having a harder time with liquids, I am trying Gatorade and crystal light to meet my requirement because it's hard for me to get just Water in.

I did puree the chicken with a little low fat mayo but I think my pouch wasn't having it. I am concentrating so hard on Protein intake that I don't think I am concentrating enough on liquids.

Maybe the mayo too. Think about this as if you're feeding a baby. The first few weeks of baby food is usually one ingredient simple veggies and fruits. I imagine your tummy is fairly sensitive at this point, like a baby's tummy.

I'm sure you know but Gatorade has a lot of sugar (14g/8oz for regular & 7g/8oz for G2). I think some doctors allow it tho bc of the potassium. Maybe instead of the Gatorade try electrolyte Water with your crystal light? Idk just a thought. Sometimes when you're trying to figure something out it helps to get a fresh set of eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Elyse519

I am not sure how you are trying Water but temperature really matters as well. I still to this day have a hard time drinking my Water icy cold. It has to be at room temperature. The cold actually causes my pouch to almost clench.

I learned this from my Bariatric team when I could not get enough liquids in. This happens especially in the am. My nut told me to try a warm water in the morning so in the beginning I did that. Now I am perfectly ok with room temperature water. For my all the flavored stuff don't work because it has to be icy cold and my tummy just don't like it.

Make,sure you tell your Dr. Let him check. Well, the puree food you'll get use to. I did baby food

It was easier on the stomach. Also eat slow, count while you chew. It help with me

I m a fast eater and I got sick for eating fast. I was told to take 30-45 min to eat

So I watch my favorite show and take a bite during commercials. I hope that helps

Mrs. Marrufo Phone :)

Thank you all for all the advice and encouragement. I am going to try to not have so much Gatorade because I know of how much sugar there is. I am going to try warm Water and see how my pouch takes it. Right now cold water won't help. I am worrying more about my liquids than Protein, and just sipping every so often.

Hey There Elyse,

First, you are going to be ok! Back off the puréed meats for now, seems a bit too soon. Watch your incesion site from the drain tube. If it starts getting warm and hard, then it's infected and will need to be drained. Happened to me 1 week after drain came out. I'm 3 mo post op and doing great!

Take it easy!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Firstly sorry that your having such a sucky experience I myself am 22 days post op and I haven't had the experience you have but just no that whatever your going thru it won't last every bad experience I've had on the journey so far has gone away and I'm sure I'll be hit with much more but I always keep in the back of my head it's not gonna last forever feel better soon and just concentrate on healing the weigh loss thing is definitely called a journey for a reason

Sent from my Z828 using the BariatricPal App

@@Elyse519

I Just wanted to check in and see if you are feeling any better? Also how are the fluids going?

I honestly believe that backing off pureed foods is likely the best thing for you right now. I was surprised honestly that they even had you start them so soon. Usually you get a couple weeks of liquid diet following bypass that allows some of the healing to happen and swelling to go down.

I did not start them until the 3rd week post op and I did not do well on any pureed meats. My tummy needed even longer but let me tell you, once

I hit the 4 week mark I was ready and so was my tummy for some soft moist foods.

I just think you need more time and you will feel better with more fluids. It is the MOST critical thing after Bariatric surgery.

Keep us posted. I hope you are feeling a little better today.

Hi all, I felt alot better yesterday, I've been concentrating on getting my liquids in. The only thing is the nausea, and the pain I have is not on my incision where I had my drain but on the side of it, near my hip and stomach. I called the doctors office this morning because I felt so good and now again I feel sick. I just don't think this is normal. Right now I am having to put a little bit of crystal light in my Water to help me get it down. Other than that, thank you all for all the encouragement. It helps :)