Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My kids start school exactly one week post op, will I be able to care for them?

I am having a lap-band to sleeve revision with hiatal hernia repair on Aug. 15th and my 4 kids start school exactly one week later. I am worried that I will not be able to get up and get them all dressed, lunches packed, and driven to school by that point. Any insight into what to expect at one week post-op? I generally heal pretty fast (out shopping the day after released from hospital after all 4 of my c-sections), but I am not as young as I was then (I am 38).

I felt pretty good after the first week you might need a nap once you get them to school! You will be able to do it! By the second week I felt awesome ! I revised from the band also! I was sore but I was able to do what I had too .And I'm 54 so I've got a few years on you !

I felt pretty good after the first week you might need a nap once you get them to school! You will be able to do it! By the second week I felt awesome ! I revised from the band also! I was sore but I was able to do what I had too .And I'm 54 so I've got a few years on you !

Thanks for the reply! I feel much older than 38 as I have had 3 back surgeries and also suffer from severe fibromyalgia, but I'm hoping I will muster through it. I live at a constant 5-6 out of a scale of 10 pain rating, so I am used to dealing with pain. My husband can help in the evening, but goes to work super early and doesn't get home until 7:30PM. I really don't want him to take more time off of work if possible because his job is actually offering overtime for once and we could use the money.

My son started kindergarten two days after I had sleeve surgery. My biggest issue was not being able to lift the kids in and out of the car seats. You should be able to do what you need to do. But give yourself extra time. Try laying out the clothes ahead of time. And don't be afraid to nap if you need it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@cameron1209 - Hey mom, get a shot glass and practice sipping Water out of it for the first few weeks. Start practicing eating small bites and slow during lunch NOW. Start playing around and checking out what are the best clear Proteins for you, so you can keep your energy up.

You ladies want to take care of the world and not yourselves. Kids and husbands will never remember a couple of bad weeks. But they will remember a healthier mom FOREVER. So focus on this. This is a game changer for you AND your kids. Plan, don't fret. Most of it is small stuff, keep it in perspective.

OKCPirate is so right. My kids are grumpy at me right now because I won't pick them up and I'm somewhat cranky. But: I can put my butt on the tiny kiddy chair to help my five year old with his homework. I'm no longer the biggest parent in his class. I am more able to get down and play with my kids. I'm starting to get more energy. I'm only three weeks post-op, but down 55lbs overall. Life is good and getting better all the time!

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and and took my 3 kids to school on Friday... by my 1 week I felt great, I didn't have gas pains or hernia repair however, I was the same way with my 2 c-secs, I think a lot of it just depends on how your surgery goes ( gas pains, hernia repair, pain)

Good luck with your surgery!

Yes. I have a 5 yr and 4 month old and was fine after 2 days (2 wk out tomorrow)

Working beyond grief for a better life!

Pack lunches and set their clothes out the night before. Get them involved or while your husband is there to help. I'm not a morning person so I'd even plan Breakfast out the night before.

I had a hernia repair and do not think it added any additional pain vs those who just had the sleeve. I didn't need my pain meds past week 1.

Thanks everyone for your replies. You have certainly put my fears at ease. My eldest two sons are in high school, but leave super early before the younger two so they can't help me except to just handle their own selves and be ready to go. My youngest is starting kindergarten, so I really want to be able to bring him to his class on the first day and take a crap ton of pictures (and I'm sure I will cry like a baby). My daughter is going to 4th grade and can either be a huge help or a huge pain, depending on what kind of mood she wakes up in. I've been told that the hernia repair shouldn't add any additional pain to my recovery, so I feel so much more at ease after reading your replies. I will certainly take the advice and lay out clothes, pre-make lunches, and have backpacks ready beforehand to make it as chaos free in the morning. Thanks again for taking the time to give your input!

@@cameron1209 I'm tired just thinking about this and I'm pre-op! Lol Take care of yourself - please do not overdo it - you don't want to risk complications! Take advantage of the week before school to rest and heal.

Edited by KristenLe

I had a 2 week driving ban but most Drs let you drive as long as you're not on narcotics. Enjoy and definitely bring the tissues :)