Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I too picky? Dealings with coordinators/doctors before sending the deposit.

Hi all,

I'm really trying to narrow down my list of places where I would like to get my surgery done in Tijuana. I've heard great things about a number of doctors on this and other forums. However, my experience with coordinators and/or doctors has been extremely varied and there isn't a single one that inspires me with total confidence, although some are clearly better than others. I don't know if it's just nerves/cold feet that is making me second guess everything, but I'd be curious as to what other people's experiences were BEFORE they sent in the deposit.

So far, here's been my experience with the top 3 places on my list (and as mentioned before, all of these places/coordinators/doctors have been highly recommended on this site and elsewhere):

Example 1: Fill out contact form/health questionnaire on website. A standard "form" email is sent requesting me to fill in my medical history in full from the website, which I do. I get another "form" email (no name from coordinator or doctor) saying I've been approved and to send the money in. This form email also includes information about what is required pre- and post-op in Mexico, and what will be covered, and how long I will be expected to stay, and contact information for once I am in Mexico. However, my request to be in contact with a real person (coordinator or doctor) goes completely unanswered. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

(Note: I feel like these "you've been approved!" emails to be very similar to the "you've won $1,000,00!" letters I used to get in the mail. They'll send them to just about anyone. The fact that no place (not just this one) treats me as an individual seems a bit off to me.)

Example 2: Fill out contact form/health questionnaire on website. Do the second round and get approved. Get multiple emails from the coordinator, who answers some questions, but not all. Does not respond to emails unless I send them twice. Answers some questions but not all - every time. I feel like a broken record asking for more information and the fact that he doesn't answer them makes me think something is wrong. Was sent a request for a deposit for the wrong surgery. (!) No apology for the mistake. No information is provided about the terms and conditions of the surgery, regulations concerning the deposit, etc. Nothing. Just bank information for the money. Was able to Skype with doctor in question who seems very nice, but the connection was bad so I don't remember a single thing he said to me - however, my overall impression of the doctor was quite positive and he's still my first choice.

Example 3: Fill out contact form/health questionnaire on website. Get contacted by coordinator, fill out more detailed med history, get approved by doctor, get sent 12 pages of information and consent forms regarding the surgery. Very professional, answers questions quickly. I like that they've sent all of the information needed so I know exactly what will happen if I can't make it or things go wrong. Lots of pre- and post-op information as well. It's nice being able to make a completely informed decision without being made to feel like I'm the wrong for wanting more information. The only thing is, even though the doctor has a stellar reputation surgery-wise, I've heard some not-so-positive comments about the doctor (not in terms of surgery, just in terms of care/meeting with patients, etc) and mediocre things about the hospital in general.

Any of these situations seem familiar to you? Not at all? I've read such glowing accounts of various doctors and coordinators that I expected to be treated the same way and I haven't. However, as mentioned earlier, I am willing to admit that it may be nerves that has me more critical than usual about it. I'd really like to know if my expectations are out of whack, or if what I've experienced is similar to others.

Maybe, in the end, it doesn't matter. The surgery is the surgery. The surgeon is the surgeon. Clearly, the fact that they are recommended again and again should reassure me. Maybe I'm being too picky?

When I went through RNY gastric bypass surgery, the program provided me with almost a day of classes on how to prepare for surgery and all the requirements post-op. It filled a quarter inch binder. There was a lot of follow up after surgery. Every year I undergo blood work to make sure my Vitamins and minerals are adjusted post-op. They are fine tweaked.

It is my impression that this is not the case for those that have surgery in Mexico. You are sort of left on your own. This lack of direction, guidance and follow-up could cause you major heartache after surgery. This would be my greater concern.

Perhaps those that had surgery in Mexico could chime in and relay their experiences.

When I went through RNY gastric bypass surgery, the program provided me with almost a day of classes on how to prepare for surgery and all the requirements post-op. It filled a quarter inch binder. There was a lot of follow up after surgery. Every year I undergo blood work to make sure my Vitamins and minerals are adjusted post-op. They are fine tweaked.

It is my impression that this is not the case for those that have surgery in Mexico. You are sort of left on your own. This lack of direction, guidance and follow-up could cause you major heartache after surgery. This would be my greater concern.

Perhaps those that had surgery in Mexico could chime in and relay their experiences.

My surgical team continued to follow up with me post-op. At first every couple of weeks and now it's down to once every 6 months, now that I'm almost 2 years out. I also know that I could go to them with a question or concern at any time and receive a prompt response. I actually did that fairly recently when I switched multi-vitamins and got a response within an hour on a weekend evening.

My PCP handles my regular blood work.

I did not have surgery in Mexico so my response is based on your initial post completely. I would have to be 100% comfortable going into this, afterall your are a person who has very specific needs.

If you are not getting the answers you need, I would not proceed. This is major surgery and you have to know that you are being cared for appropriately.

Now I know there are many on this site who have had their WLS done in Mexico and have had no problems.

But in your situation it sounds like you are not getting the attention you need to make yourself comfortable. I would not proceed unless I felt 100% comfortable that they were looking at me, my current health issues and gave me a plan for surgery and post surgery care.

In my experience the surgeon is only one part of the process. As soon as the surgery is over, others have to care for you because the surgeon is off on the next case. I had surgery at a Bariatric center of excellence. I went through a 9 month process and met with nutritionists, physcologists, Bariatric nurses, a Bariatrician who helped me decide which surgery to have. 3 weeks before my actual surgery I finally met my surgeon, the next time I saw him was in pre op, the last time I saw him was in post op for a quick minute. I have never seen him again, it was the bariatricians that take over care and are most important in the process as far as I am concerned. They sure as heck better know my case and take care of me.

It does not sound like you are being critical.

I don't think there is a "too critical" when it comes to your health. Working with an international office is going to have challenges, so it may not be possible to be *as* comfortable as you would be with someone close to you, but you still need to have confidence that you will get excellent care and the support you need in order to be successful. I wouldn't be able to proceed with surgery if I didn't have that.

I don't think you're being too picky, its your money and your health. I always do plenty of research before making a decision. But, I 've read of plenty of ppl who go to Tijuana to have this surgery and have a wonderful experience.

Best of luck.

I definitely agree with @@Djmohr that the surgeon is only a small piece of the puzzle. It is the rest of the surgical team and staff that will provide you with all the pre and post-op care and information, so it is important you feel comfortable. That being said, the coordinator at most Mexican offices is just the gate keeper. Once you have scheduled your surgery, your interaction with the coordinator will be very limited. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the coordinator represents the level of care and service you will get from the rest of the staff. My communication with the coordinator for Ariel Ortiz was very limited. She sent me some PDFs outlining my surgical options and pricing and I think I spoke with her initially about my concerns over arranging my flight and hotel. But after that I worked the OCC travel coordinator, who was a different person.

The VAST majority of my interaction with OCC staff was with the nutritionist, who I spoke to and emailed about a million times pre and post-op. I also had some communication with the cardiologist and radiologist.

Contact Bill@bariatricpal.com. It was the easiest thing I have ever done medically.

I am having surgery this Thursday July 28 revising a sleeve to mini gastric bypass. The MX team will pick me up in San Diego and drive me across to TJ. I will have surgery in a hospital and be

there 3 days. Then I will move to a recovery condo for 2 days, with nurses and doctors checking on me. I will have 2 leak tests before I leave. Dr. Illan is my surgeon and just got back from a conference with Dr. Rutledge the surgeon that started the MGB.

I was sent a questionnaire to start with but it was not very long. They have 2 years nutritional support and the surgeon has a Facebook page you can post anytime.

I am super excited and have had many friends go with this group.

Hi all,

I'm really trying to narrow down my list of places where I would like to get my surgery done in Tijuana. I've heard great things about a number of doctors on this and other forums. However, my experience with coordinators and/or doctors has been extremely varied and there isn't a single one that inspires me with total confidence, although some are clearly better than others. I don't know if it's just nerves/cold feet that is making me second guess everything, but I'd be curious as to what other people's experiences were BEFORE they sent in the deposit.

So far, here's been my experience with the top 3 places on my list (and as mentioned before, all of these places/coordinators/doctors have been highly recommended on this site and elsewhere):

Example 1: Fill out contact form/health questionnaire on website. A standard "form" email is sent requesting me to fill in my medical history in full from the website, which I do. I get another "form" email (no name from coordinator or doctor) saying I've been approved and to send the money in. This form email also includes information about what is required pre- and post-op in Mexico, and what will be covered, and how long I will be expected to stay, and contact information for once I am in Mexico. However, my request to be in contact with a real person (coordinator or doctor) goes completely unanswered. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

(Note: I feel like these "you've been approved!" emails to be very similar to the "you've won $1,000,00!" letters I used to get in the mail. They'll send them to just about anyone. The fact that no place (not just this one) treats me as an individual seems a bit off to me.)

Example 2: Fill out contact form/health questionnaire on website. Do the second round and get approved. Get multiple emails from the coordinator, who answers some questions, but not all. Does not respond to emails unless I send them twice. Answers some questions but not all - every time. I feel like a broken record asking for more information and the fact that he doesn't answer them makes me think something is wrong. Was sent a request for a deposit for the wrong surgery. (!) No apology for the mistake. No information is provided about the terms and conditions of the surgery, regulations concerning the deposit, etc. Nothing. Just bank information for the money. Was able to Skype with doctor in question who seems very nice, but the connection was bad so I don't remember a single thing he said to me - however, my overall impression of the doctor was quite positive and he's still my first choice.

Example 3: Fill out contact form/health questionnaire on website. Get contacted by coordinator, fill out more detailed med history, get approved by doctor, get sent 12 pages of information and consent forms regarding the surgery. Very professional, answers questions quickly. I like that they've sent all of the information needed so I know exactly what will happen if I can't make it or things go wrong. Lots of pre- and post-op information as well. It's nice being able to make a completely informed decision without being made to feel like I'm the wrong for wanting more information. The only thing is, even though the doctor has a stellar reputation surgery-wise, I've heard some not-so-positive comments about the doctor (not in terms of surgery, just in terms of care/meeting with patients, etc) and mediocre things about the hospital in general.

Any of these situations seem familiar to you? Not at all? I've read such glowing accounts of various doctors and coordinators that I expected to be treated the same way and I haven't. However, as mentioned earlier, I am willing to admit that it may be nerves that has me more critical than usual about it. I'd really like to know if my expectations are out of whack, or if what I've experienced is similar to others.

Maybe, in the end, it doesn't matter. The surgery is the surgery. The surgeon is the surgeon. Clearly, the fact that they are recommended again and again should reassure me. Maybe I'm being too picky?

Please feel free to ask any questions about the surgical procedures, please call Bill he will walk you through !!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I dealt with Bill Yanez to do mine through BariatricPal Mexico with Dr. Illan, and it couldn't have been easier.

My mom was so impressed with my results, that I am flying to San Diego in the morning to take her for surgery.

Give Bill a call, he will answer all your questions and get you set up. He will make it easy.

I'll hop on the Dr. Illan and Bill train! Haha.

No, but seriously. I was extremely nervous. However, when I decided to self-pay it was because my insurance was yanking me around and putting off test after test for me to even meet the pre-requisites to qualify for the surgery. I was tired of it, and unwilling to let my health get worse for another year just so they could play some ridiculous game of 'keep away'.

Here's how it went for me:

I joined the Dr. Illan Patient Support group on Facebook after doing some research on surgeons in Tijuana. What I found to be the best thing was that group. Not only did I get direct access to Bill Yanez, the coordinator, but I got access to Dr. Illan himself, Stacy, the nutritionist you'll work with, and even as far as the guides that will be there to support your companion the entire time. Alex Brecher, the CEO of BariatricPal is also part of the group and seems to oversee and pop in and it was great. That sort of system while having so many prior and upcoming patients in different parts of the world helped so much.

I was sent a questionnaire by Bill, filled that out. I received back a confirmation that I was approved for surgery (based off health history), and then rolled in the information on possible dates, the full amount (which I knew what it was, what to expect it to all include), and then the information on the deposit. Admittedly, I was sketched about about paying a deposit. The first thing that crossed my mind was scam. But I'm also an overly paranoid person. There were tons of people on Facebook and here on BP vouching for this surgeon, and so I gave myself a week (it might've been two). I watched the discussions in the FB group, I looked to see what the interaction was with Dr. Illan and Bill, and it was this group that honestly steered me towards them.

BP is great, and pushed me in the direction that I went, but that group is what really assured me I was making the decision that was right for me. Yes, sometimes lines get crossed, people can miss things in emails, but they're human after all. Even the best surgeon in the world is bound to make a mistake at some point. There were a multitude of options to pay the deposit. I opted to go to the local Wells Fargo bank and deposit it into their account. Again, I felt very sketchy about this, but I shook it off, did it, took a photo of the receipt and sent it to Bill. Later that day I received an invoice showing the deduction of the deposit and my remaining balance.

I paid mine about a month and a half before my surgery. I'm not 2 months post-op, and it was the greatest risk I ever took. I was terrified of many different things. Even almost called it all off 2 days before. Especially because I lost my passport and had to spend 8 hours in a car to get it same day in Seattle (not fun). Hurdles are thrown for us to jump over them, though. That's what I did, and Dr. Illan was great. While I saw him the day of surgery and the day after, every time I've had a question directly for him I've been able to post it in the FB group and he answers (if not right away, always same day).

As for any follow up, my PCP has been majorly supportive and done all blood work.