Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled to have gastric bypass in September. What I wanted to know is once I get home will I need someone with me for a week or two? My husband making plans to take time off from work, he also having my nephews come up to stay and baby sit me lol I'm like I know this is a serious surgery but I don't think I will need all these people. Just wondering how was it for you all and if in fact you yourself did need someone with you at home for a period of time. My family is so afraid something bad will happen to me. They hearing all these stories about others who surgery was not a success

Tyani P.

I needed someone for about 4 days to help me get up and down and then after that I could make it on my own. It just took me a long time to get things done, but I made it. Getting in and out of bed was one of the hardest things for me. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was alone with my twi small boys tge day after I came hone from hospital. I just didn't do any lifting but wasn't sick at all. It wasn't till the second week I was experiencing pain do to not being able to relieve my bowels. The worst for me so far is for me it feels like a burst of exhausting comes over me and I need down time.

Good Luck ;-)

HW 329

SW 314

CW 296

*3 weeks post-op

Sent from my SGH-T999L using the BariatricPal App

i had someone with me from the day i went in for surgery until i went home and about 4 days after being home. after that i felt pretty comfortable being on my own.

good luck with your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Honestly I needed someone the first day home and after that I was fine. It all depends on how you handle pain. Sometimes people curl up and won't get out of bed but that is the absolute worse thing you can do after this type of surgery.

The best thing you can do is get up and walk as much as you can while sip sip sipping liquids. The sooner you get to appropriate amounts of fluids you will begin to feel much better.

Once you walk, the pain from the gas they use begins to leave your body and fluids get all the toxins out. You then start to feel very good.

I was in the hospital 2 nights, went home on liquid Vicodin on a wed. By Friday morning I was off all pain killers.

For me, this surgery there was more discomfort than there was pain and it was all from the gas.

I thank you all ladies and yes I will consider all that you all told me. So I will allow all the support that comes and the support my husband has coming up to be with me. I am a bit afraid I must say. Beings I never had any type of surgery never been put to sleep heck never broken a bone so this is major to me. Any comfort you all can suggest to ease my mind. My surgery is September and I just am so afraid that I will have this notion of saying I regret doing this.

i am a week post op today, and i wish i could tell you a way to ease your mind but i went in scared to death no matter what i told myself. luckily the surgeons nurse that took me in held my hand so tight and comforted me until i went out. when i woke up it was like nothing happened and laughed at myself for being such a big baby haha! it will be alright i promise you! trust your surgeon and hopefully you get a sweet nurse like i did, she made all the difference. you will do great, relax as much as you can before your date!

also i have yet to regret any of this! the only thing driving me nuts right now is the head hunger, so over the liquid stage!

I'm 6 days post and yes I'm hating clear liquids! I see my surgeon on Wednesday and hope to get the okay for full liquids.

I needed someone the first 3 days. I think it's best to plan for the worst.

Edited by KllrCrly97

If you trust your team it really helps!!! I had an amzing surgeon and nursing staff which made all the difference in the world!!!

No regrets ;-)

@@bypasswitch thank you that helped a lot. I'm sure I will be fine. It's always good to hear others stories who been there and done it so I appreciate what you said. Thanks a billion. Yes I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for this liquid diet lol. Thanks everyone and I have a great team so this should be great. I will keep you all posted

If you trust your team it really helps!!! I had an amzing surgeon and nursing staff which made all the difference in the world!!!

No regrets ;-)

Awesome I'm happy for you wish me much success

I'm 6 days post and yes I'm hating clear liquids! I see my surgeon on Wednesday and hope to get the okay for full liquids.

I needed someone the first 3 days. I think it's best to plan for the worst.

???? Always best to plan a head