Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Question for Big Men at Six weeks-two months Out

Okay so I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting information here, even from my own nut. So I thought I'd pose it to guys who started at 350-400 LBS. How many calories were you getting at six weeks to two months post sleeve. I am on full solids, chewed thoroughly and eaten slowly and taking new items carefully. I log everything in MFP and am getting an average of 650 calories a day. I've ranged as high as 850 down to 550 recently. My excersize recently (due to knee injury) is modest but am certainly not sedentary. I get 64 oz of fluids and an average of 60 gms Protein. My weight loss has slowed considerably after the first month. My nut said "maybe I should consider more calories" and that we'd review it at my next visit.

Here's my question, where were you sizeable fellows at in terms of calories at this point? Did you find more calories helped speed weight loss, or slow it? My restriction is solid and I am generally never hungry. I'm currently at 309. Started the process at 365, weighed 351 at surgery.

Thanks for your input fellas!

I started at 333, but figure that's close enough to 350 to chime in here.

I have never gotten more than about 600 calories in a day. I have a slight stricture and really, really struggle with solid foods. I get my 60g or Protein and 64oz, just like you. My average calorie intake is about 300-500.

I have had no issue dropping weight. I had the 3 week stall at the beginning, but have had no further stalls so far. I'm just over 3 months out now. I've been losing about 20lbs a months (including this month).

I'm down a total of 118lbs. 46 lost in the 6 weeks pre-surgery, 72 lbs lost in the 3 months post-surgery.

I only started at 303, but have no problems getting in calories. The first 6 weeks I was avg about 600/day with getting 90 grams of protein/day.

My 6 week visit my nut said I need to up my calories to 800/day, since I am becoming more active. I just ended a full stall, and loosing slower than at before, but will see what I need to adjust to.

Note:

My original WLS 20 yrs. ago I was 410 lbs skinny and never was directed to look at calories for first few months. I was much younger, so the weight melted off easier. I lost 270 lbs in 1 year.

Best to you.

I started at just under 350 and never really focused on calories. I set my Protein target at 100 gms per day and made it thanks to Protein shakes. Once on solid foods that translated to about 800 calories a day. After my third month I began increasing what I was eating by increasing my carbs and fats and keeping my Protein at 100 gms. As I increased my food intake, I upped my carbs and fats but never dropping below 100 gms of protein per day. I did this in consultation with my doc and it worked for me. I found that when I tried to limit carbs I stalled. What I learned is that this is really something you need to tinker with to find the correct mix for you. Each of us is different and our bodies react differently. Using an app like myfitnesspal to track your food (and doing it consistently and honestly) helps a lot.

Right now I am working on finding what the right mix is for maintenance after losing almost 150 lbs. I'm now at about 115 gms protein and carbs and 43 gms of fat per day (about 1300 calories and a 35% protein/35% carbs/30% fat mix). Just remember that targets are just that targets - they are not fixed in stone. Some days you will not meet your target, or will exceed it. It's really a guide to help you learn how to eat correctly. Good luck!

I was 277 when I started my journey, and based on your statement, you need to UP your Protein. Get closer to 100 grams a day, with keeping your fluids going (I'd suggest a Protein shake or two, fluids and protein). Understanding the knee injury, but once you get more weight off, your knee will appreciated it and give you back more mobility. Good luck!

@@Dub - do you want to chime in on this? This is about your size.

I'm pretty close to where you are in terms of weight, but I am eating a good bit more calories and Protein than you are. Like others mentioned, my main target is about 100 grams of protein per day. In terms of calories, I shoot for about 950 calories a day. Some days I fall slightly below that, others slightly above that. I'm fairly active now, getting in about 25 miles a week of brisk walking & hiking. Generally, I'm losing about 4-5 lbs per week right now at this calorie, protein, and exercise level.

It was all about volume for my surgeon......not calories or macros.

He wanted me to eat three 1/4 cup sized meals at that stage. Meals consisted of chicken, steak, fish, seafood. No Snacks.

Getting closer to 6 months he wanted me at 1/2 cup sized meals.....same composition.

Targeting a year and beyond he wanted a full cup sized meals of mainly chicken, steak, fish, seafood with some fresh vegetables to finish out the cup.

Thanks all once again. So it sounds like what I'm learning here is to focus less on calories and more on Protein and some low carb nutrient rich veg. I just really want to keep that scale moving in the right direction!