Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please, please tell me I can ditch the freaking CPAP after surgery?

Ugh, I've been dutifully using the stupid thing since December/January with great results, but ever since allergy season has kicked in, I'm chronically phlegmy/coughing/congested, so using the CPAP is torture. I feel like I'm suffocating at night.

I have tried different face masks but am limited to one full-face style due to my "high bridge" nose, and have tried all sorts of meds before nighttime to either make me A) pass out (Tylenol PM,) or B) drain my face -- all in addition to a daily allergy pill I have been taking for months, along with a nasal mist.

I wash our clothes daily, shower at night to rinse off allergens, and change bedding weekly. Nothing new has happened in the home regarding pets or anything, it's just seasonal allergies killing me.

Sooooo, how soon after surgery were people done with their CPAP machines? I'm snoring like a wildebeest without it, keeping my husband up, but I can't stand the damn thing right now. My surgery is 8/1.

@@Heather I - I feel your pain. What type of set up do you have? My allergies here in Oklahoma are horrible. I had to be religious about keep the filters clean in the machine, I had the Water tank with mine and that helped with a little heat. I also found that using a neti pot before bed helped too.

The good news is that after losing 40# the machine quit detecting episodes and issues so I'm done with the thing and gave it to my mom.

Yes, you can. it took almost a year for me but it was the most wonderful thing. That C-PAP was so uncomfortable. However, it is not the case for everyone. Some patients do have to keep using it but your chances are very good.

Also, in that year I had my pressure down graded twice. It got to the point that it was set at the lowest possible setting and it felt like I was sleeping in a wind tunnel. I remember telling my doctor, if we didn't watch out my brain was going to blow out the back of my head.

It sounds like allergies are getting the best of you right now. I too suffer from allergies and I used a nasal spray about 10 minutes before placing my mask on. It helped clear out my nose. I also took Nyquil every night.

Oh, I forgot to say, I no longer snore. Awesome!

After about a month post op, I noticed that my mouth was always dry (first time in using CPAP for 5 years that happened). I checked my reports and saw that my average pressure was dropping and by the third month post op it was way down. I consulted my sleep doc, and he suggested I try not sleeping with the cpap. I did that about seven and a half months ago and haven't used it since. I am resting well and according to my wife no longer snoring The weight loss really did the trick!

Oh, I forgot to say, I no longer snore. Awesome!

And, there was much rejoicing ;-)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you all, you have given me hope -- and a good laugh at the Python skit! LMAO! Love it!

I'll change the filter and try nasal spray before bed. Here's hoping the Bane/Hannibal Lecter mask comes off by Labor Day!

I hate mine too and do not tolerate it. I have a setting of 16 and I'm fine with anything up to ten but at full blast it is unbearable. I have always been a light sleeper and I make it about an hour or two before I have ripped it off in my sleep. I also had to start keeping the machine on the floor because I was knocking it off my nightstand in my sleep. I am praying so hard that I can have the pressure lowered at my next visit.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App