Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, so I thought I'd share a cute and funny little story with you guys! If you ever feel like your life's a mess, refer to this story! Lol

Ok so I'm getting married next May 2017 and this is a 2+ year long wedding planning expierence extravaganza.

In February of this year, is when my WLS experience began with my first Dr appointment. August 22, 2016 is my planned VSG surgery date.

If you've ever been engaged or married, you know that there are a couple questions people ask you from day one of that rock being on your finger, (1)"do you have a date yet???!!!" This is usually followed by, NO WE'VE BEEN ENGAGED 30 SECONDS or YESSSSSS (INSERT DATE HERE) WE ARE SO EXCITED! and question (2) "did you pick out a dress?"

Needless to say I have done everything in my power to avoid dress shopping because I'm not where I wanna be weight wise/ dreading the thought of looking at my fat arms in a mirror with people watching.

I'm an avid thrift/ antiquer and I was out with my mom one day at an antique mall and I find a dress..... I looooooove this dress, I can't leave it, I start crying. I decide to just get it, it's $80!!! It's also a size 10!!!!!! I haven't been a size 10 since the 6th grade. So naturally I try it on ever couple months just to maintain depression and pessimism that I'll never fit in this thing.

Now, every time the dreaded dress question comes out of left field, I internally panick and immediately tell people "NO I HAVENT TRIED ON DRESSES!" How dareth you ask that!

So no one knows about my surgery, no one knows about my dress, and no one knows how many tears I'll cry if I can't fit in that dress by May 2017!

Anyone else ever had/ have wedding dress dread??

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

@@Tara1992

You might still love that dress next year, but I am going to guess you will want something else.

I used to dress a certain way and think a certain style was for me. I was big on dressing for my body type and shape and accentuating the positive. I have all the books on it :D :lol:

Now I have lost weight and even though I am not at goal, still 50-60lbs to go, I have a completely different shape, and I have to dress it totally different. My waist is 32-34 inches and it used to be like 54. My breasts and hips are large though so I have to work with them.

I used to wear fit and flares all the time to hide my gut and create the appearance of a waist, now that I really have one, I just wear bodycon/tight clothes because when I wear loose things they make me look larger. My breasts are so much larger than my waist that it I don't wear fitted things, everything looks like a tent on me. I will look 2 sizes and 40 pounds heavier. Same thing on the bottom, I have to wear fitted items or my hips make me look like a whale.

So keep that dress as your inspiration, but keep in mind you might be different by next year. Also depending on how old the dress is, it might really be a current size 4 or 6, and not a modern size 10, so don't get too married to the size of that dress.

Good luck!

I can appreciate having a goal outfit to fit into, although mine wasn't a wedding dress. I had a few different outfits throughout my weight loss that I said "fitting into this will mean I am thin again!". One of them was a pair of size 12 jeggings, which amusingly enough fit me at 170 when I was about 70 pounds down, although because they are SO stretchy, at 129 pounds, they are the jeggings I put on when I don't want to wear real clothing but I have to run errands. Loose enough to feel like yoga pants, but jegging enough that no one knows I'm a bum.

I also had a pair of size 2 banana Republic pants that wouldn't even fit my leg before. Now they fit me and I've never worn them because I like newer clothing better. Like OutsideMatchInside said, I now wear a lot of bodycon dresses and fitted sheath styles that I could never wear before. Unlike her though, I also have a ton of A-line, fit and flare, and shift dresses because now I'm thin enough that even something unflattering like a shift dress doesn't make me look fat. Those are good for days I feel a little blah, but still want to look nice. Given I never used to wear anything other than black pants and dark sweaters because I thought fat people shouldn't bother to dress nicely, the old me would be very proud of the new me's closet.

You may find you love your dress when you can fit in it, or you don't like it so much, but either way, it's nice to have something to look forward to fitting into. Worst case, you can be like a famous person and wear one dress for your wedding and one for your reception!

I might want something different. I guess my thought was, in the event I don't want that dress, I spent $80 and I could sell it if I don't want it anymore!

I didn't have wls as a thought when I bought it. When my mom wanted to persue it, I took the journey with her. And I'm so very glad I did!

Thank you guys for sharing, it makes me more excited for the process, other than just fitting this dress!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Tara1992

I'm getting married in May 2017 as well!!! I have my first appointment with a doctor this week. I'm hoping to get it done as soon as possible. I've been thinking about doing it for a while but I've been to nervous to make an appointment! Lol

I get asked allllllll the time "have you found your dress" NOPE SURE HAVENT!! Although I've thought about going to try them on for a before picture.

<3 a fellow May 2017 bride

I am also getting married in May, 2017. I had my bypass surgery in March and, although in down 54lbs, I'm not ready to even think about wedding dress shopping. I'm hoping to lose another 50 by my wedding day, so I'm not sure when to start shopping for a dress. It's not like they can keep altering it 3 or 4 sizes down, but I know I have to order my dress at least 8 mo before the wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

We don't have a date set, in fact it all depends on how long it takes me to finish schooling. Told him I wanted to have my rn before we got married. I went once to try on dresses and it was the most depressing thing ever!! I went alone and tried on 3 and none of them even close to fit. Cried the whole time. I don't have a date for surgery either, just waiting on insurance approval at the moment but I'm definitely going to wait till I'm under 200 to even start looking again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App