Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FDA finally approves AspireAssist

I too like the fact that with the Aspire, it can be removed. There are so many long term complications with RNY and sleeve.

Everyone's journey is different.

I would go for this in a heartbeat. I've lost 40 lbs on my own, eat no sugar or oil, no dairy, bread or or meat. I am currently in an emotional eating group, weigh 190lbs.

I have done the work, and am getting a sleeve because the Aspire is not available here yet.

@@summerset - No one said it was "just so wrong". I think you may be a little sensitive. In fact, no one here, including myself, said anything about anything except their own perceptions of the product. I think everyone who commented has even said "I think this is gross, but hey, whatever works." Since this post asked for opinions, there are going to be opinions. There aren't even rude opinions here. Anyway, I'll continue to follow this thread of out sheer curiosity, but the best way to scare people off (people who are already really shocked and weirded out by this) is to make their valid opinions and reactions into "outcries" and "angry comments". Regardless, as I said before, the perceptions of this product have nothing to do with the success of it, and I wish everyone nothing but success. If this works for some people, then great! Success is success is success.

@@Guineakitty I'm just curious, is there a risk of infection with the tube and do you know anyone in the study with you who had a problem with it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Tara1992 I never had an infection from it. I keep it clean despite being a leaky lady. ???? They gave me pills to prevent infection when I got the procedure. And Yes you can swim with the device. Most females wear bathing suits that covers it up the men deal with the questions mostly from curious kids.

Sent from my LGLS770 using the BariatricPal App

For the negative aspect there will always be haters and people making fun of others. That doesn't brother me cause I will get the last laugh keeping the weight off and still will have my body intact.

Wow, a lot of quite angry comments about the aspire device...

Also some of these quite angry comments remind me of the comments people who are against WLS in general would make.

- can continue to make bad food choices

- easy way out

- no learning effect

- there will be evil complications with a 100% likelihood

Sounds somewhat familiar.

Nobody here has been angry. Disagreeing with something or having a negative opinion about something does not mean it's an "angry" comment. People have simply expressed their opinions and concerns about a new device. I have had weight loss surgery myself and have had great success with it. But my opinion on this new device is a negative one. That may change later on as more statistics come out about it but for now my impression of this new device is that it is a very bad idea

You didn't see the original post when Aspire got announced the comments was down right rude.

For the negative aspect there will always be haters and people making fun of others. That doesn't brother me cause I will get the last laugh keeping the weight off and still will have my body intact.

Well if you're punching a hole in your stomach then you're not really intact are you?

That closes back up. After the tube is removed they stitch the hole closed.

At first glance, it scares me, too! I would worry that consciously or subconsciously, the user would feel freer to use the device as an excuse to eat more or make poorer choices. Most (probably all) of us who got to be overweight haven’t been eating completely mindlessly. We know already that some of our choices are bad, and we try to make better ones like cutting back on serving size and choosing healthier foods. We may not do it well enough – that’s why the weight came on – but there generally is some sort of self-restriction going on. I would worry that the Aspire Assist would lead users to be less cautious about eating habits, leading to no weight loss (or even weight gain) and the development of eating habits that are even harder to kick.

Another concern for me would be the removal of the device. Some of us depend on our weight loss surgery restrictive tools (pouch, stoma, or sleeve) for life, but Aspire Assist patients wouldn’t have the option of the constant companion. I guess they could go back to it if needed, but that’s not the goal (I don’t think).

@@Guineakitty, Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like you are using the tool exactly as it was meant to be used, and it is working exactly as it was meant to work. Congratulations on getting to goal weight, and good luck maintaining in the years to come!

Well heck! I've had my tubes tied and cauterized, missing my appendix, tonsils gone too. Guess I wasn't " intact" prior to my RNY bypass surgery so no biggie for me!!

@Alex Brecher Thanks for letting me speak. I keep forgetting this is new to everyone. The tube does not promote overeating. You have to chew like really chew your food and drink Water to aspirate or flush your tube properly. Some of the subjects did aspirate and eat but they learned not to do that.Remember the port is placed by your stomach if you gain weight and inches around your belly it will be uncomfortable because the tube will be too tight. You will lose the weight back so the tight feeling will fade. It is one of the reasons why as you lose inches on your tummy the tube is re shorten. The tube is also for people who are overweight but not enough to classify for traditional WLS or want a less evasive surgery. When you get the A-tube you will learn some different eating habit by default because everyone is different when it comes to flushing. I can chew steak and aspirate fine but can chew rice forever wait an extra 15mins and sometimes still have issues with flushing. Other subjects can't eat steak or have it grounded up to aspirate but can eat rice and aspirate without problems. Most of us tried new foods because we wanted to see what works. Some of us could not give up certain foods despite difficulties aspirating so depending on what it was less of it was eaten or calorie counting or exercise come in to effect.

The tube is temporary because if done properly (for the most part I am faaaaar from perfect) you will learn how to eat better. From this study I learned my portions are too big, I know I need to exercise, and I need to balance those things out. My appetite is huge I have learned to take social cues from others when to stop eating cause sometimes I don't have a off switch. Getting the tube out can be scary for some but that's why we support each other and make sure we can be without it. We can keep the tube for 5 years. When the person feels ready to remove it the person cuts down the flushes per day, then flush once a day, then a few times a week eventually to 3 months without using the device.During that time that habits that is learned is put to use. If a person can not maintain their weight or gain too much back that person keeps the tube longer. If the person maintains successfully the tube is removed. Sorry for the long response I hope this answers some more questions.