Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

Thanks for the help good idea about post for people on insulin pump. Do you feel like you follow the diet correctly. I know that I eat less but I have always been fairly health conscious. Do you exercise?

I wrote my Lab Band doc about my not losing and yesterday my surgeon's MD emailed me back asking me about the 1/2 hour a day excersize I am suppose to be doing and was I keeping up my food diary. He asked me to email the diary to him.

I haven't been doing either. So, yesterday I did the food diary and the excersize. In my weigh in this morning, I was down 1/2 pound:clap2:

I do eat the right foods, just too much of the right foods. I am in process of setting myself up for fill #2 in a few weeks.

I'm going to check and see if there is a thread for prople with diabetes.

I've just begun my Quest into banding. They say the break-off age point is 65. I'm almost 63 and need to move fast. Us 'oldies' want to live and know that the excess fat will shorten our lives. I've been checking all the treads and everyone is below 50. But us 'grannies' have our own unique problems. And we face the potential of death from fat. 63 may sound old, but I want to live as much as I did in my 30's. I want to think of death as something that hits during the 90's.

:)

Hello, I'll be 63 this coming December 11th. My BMI is around 38 that last time I checked. My Hubby is trying for the Lap Band first. I think that if we have several health issues this will help us get the surgery. My Hubby is Diabetic. I'm not but could very easily become one. My Dad died at 52 years of age and also all his 7 brothers died young, so it's in the family to die young of heart attacks! My grnadmother on my father's side was short and was over 350 pounds! She still lived till 72 years.

I hope you will get the Lap Band! Our insurance doesn't cover prevention, only after that fact!!! :angry They are so evil!!!

Take care,:kiss2:

Nina

Hello, I'll be 63 this coming December 11th. My BMI is around 38 that last time I checked. My Hubby is trying for the Lap Band first. I think that if we have several health issues this will help us get the surgery. My Hubby is Diabetic. I'm not but could very easily become one. My Dad died at 52 years of age and also all his 7 brothers died young, so it's in the family to die young of heart attacks! My grnadmother on my father's side was short and was over 350 pounds! She still lived till 72 years.

I hope you will get the Lap Band! Our insurance doesn't cover prevention, only after that fact!!! :angry They are so evil!!!

Take care,:kiss2:

Nina

I changed my handle because FatAttack was negetive. Hi, congadulations on getting back on the forum. I read the post you wrote on your husbands handle. It's incredible that your paternal grandmother was able to stay around so long with all that weight. With all the heart history, do you make sure you keep up with blood tests and all? I have lots of heart problems in my family. I get the yearly blood tests and they have always turned out ideal. Then 6 months ago my triglycides suddenly shot up, now am taking medicine for that. A month ago my blood tests showed my bad cholesteral shot up from ideal to very high (189 LDL) along with that my creatinine levels went way up. The tests were retaken along with others and find out Wed. whats going on.

Yes, I think the diabetes should help get the insurance to pay.

How long will you have to wait to get the lap band? I self payed, $8,500 covered everything. Went to Mexico for the surgery.

Hi Judy145! I am so excited after reading what you wrote about your blood sugars going down. I hopefully will be having lap band surgery the last of Jan. 08 an I too am 60 years old and a diabetic. I want to get off of some of the many meds and start living a healthier life for the years I have left. My kids are grown also ages 33 and 29...

I changed my handle because FatAttack was negetive. "

Hello Sunshine! :)

Yes! This is much more positive! :kiss2:

"Hi, congadulations on getting back on the forum. I read the post you wrote on your husbands handle. It's incredible that your paternal grandmother was able to stay around so long with all that weight. With all the heart history, do you make sure you keep up with blood tests and all? I have lots of heart problems in my family."

This is my third time of getting back on this forum! They say three times is the charm! :faint:I keep trying! I'm not happy with how my doctor does the numbers things with the different tests. I have to ask to have all the numbers in written form. The nurse is just to fast in telling me things. I used to not have to ask. I'd get the number right away. No waiting! They said nothing but they are good. I take medicines for BP, choleserol, a Water pill, and something for my Epelipsy, for insomnia and depression. I think that's 8 different medicines. Oh yes I do take one for Arthuritus and IBS. (sp?) My hips and knees are keeping me from exersizing like I should. I have burning pain in feet,hands and in my lower back side. I have very bad incontinance, a very bad sensitivity to noise. I am a real party pooper! :( All this keeps me alone, even in my own home! I can't even watch TV with my Hubby becasue he wants it load and I want it low! So we have two different rooms and two different TV's. I sleep in my room and he sleeps in his room. Oh yes, we email one another!!! LOL! We do meet each other at times during our days here alone, us two shut-ins. :ranger:

"I get the yearly blood tests and they have always turned out ideal. Then 6 months ago my triglycides suddenly shot up, now am taking medicine for that. A month ago my blood tests showed my bad cholesteral shot up from ideal to very high (189 LDL) along with that my creatinine levels went way up. The tests were retaken along with others and find out Wed. whats going on. "

They never say anything about triglycides! I do try to watch the sugar and carbs. Your triglycides did get high!!!

I've not even tried to get my lap band yet. We can't afford to pay for it our selves. We are to poor for that. Don tries first. He is Diabetic and weighs more. My sister my have to pay for it her self tough. She has no insurance. She does have long-term care that she has been paying into. She works and can afford to do it her self.

Yes, I think the diabetes should help get the insurance to pay.

How long will you have to wait to get the lap band? I self payed, $8,500 covered everything. Went to Mexico for the surgery.

I'll see how Don goes first.

I've been through major surgery. I had a hysterectomy. A doctor we just saw said something about if you've had any surgery in the stomach that this would effect things. I'm not sure what that means for me.

It's supper time here. That roaring lyon is roaring!!! Feed me!!! :angry Feed me! I hate that! I'm a good cook to and that is not good! :hungry:

How to get through the holidays?! :)

See ya! Nina

:car:

Nina,

I'm a good cook too and have a hard time resisting my own meals. I love Pasta tooooo much.

You sound like me when it comes to meds. But I have been able to drop back on some of my BP meds with the band (and weight loss). It seems like once I hit my 60's the extra weight has had a heyday with my body.

That 189 figure is my bad cholesterol....total cholesterol is 230.

Don will do great, I'm sure and I bet it helps his diabetes.

I had a hystorectomy at 26. It was done vaginaly. Even if yours was done through abdomen, I don't know how the laposcopic lap band surgery would make a difference?

You live in Jackson Miss? My relatives on mothers side live in Forest, Miss. Mother did too but she died some years ago.

Nina,

I'm a good cook too and have a hard time resisting my own meals. I love Pasta tooooo much."

I am back after a shopping trip to get meds and food.

I tried to get a pair of strech jeans on and I couldn't zip them up!!! :scared: I'm gainning!

You sound like me when it comes to meds. But I have been able to drop back on some of my BP meds with the band (and weight loss). It seems like once I hit my 60's the extra weight has had a heyday with my body.

Yes those 60's are all down hill! My BMI will soon be over 38! It most likely is now 40 or more.

I had a hystorectomy at 26. It was done vaginaly. Even if yours was done through abdomen, I don't know how the laposcopic lap band surgery would make a difference?

So you had one too. After mine that's when I started gainning. I was doing good before in exersize and was very active! Then came the hurricane Katrina and at this time just before I was in the hospital and had almost died. The medicines I was taking I had a bad reaction too. My sodium was much to low and I was in a simi-uncontious state. If this had happened during Katrina I'd not be here! The stress of it all was so hard on me! My daughter's home had a large tree fall on it! No one was killed but they could have been.

You live in Jackson Miss? My relatives on mothers side live in Forest, Miss. Mother did too but she died some years ago.

I live around an hour from Jackson.

Nina

Nina,

You've had a rough time. I'll bet it is the stress that put the extra weight on. I was thin (a bit anorexic thin) before and after surgery. Years later did some minor yo yo dieting. 8 years ago I filed for divorce from an abusive man, married 37 yrs before divorce became final. It was surely the divorce from hell. It's lasted 8 years and still lingers on. It cost me $100,000.00 and left me so poor that I'm on Medicaid. He wanted to hurt me anyway he could as a way of punishing me for divorce.

That was all major stress. I began at 125 pounds and began gaining in 2001. I got up to 198 but am now 179.5 and a long way to go.

It was the stress that caused the weight gain. I've been reading about it and this type of stress (kind I have and kind you have) causes weight gain especially in the abdomen.

Hello Sunshine, :) Keeping a food diary would be hard for me and the 30 minutes of exersizing. I know I walk a lot between the bathroom and were I am because of incontinance! I want one of those thingies that keep tract of all your walking, a pedomitor. I'll have to get a nice diary that has some kind of organization in it casue my brain is in a fog!!! My recipes need to stay simple too! I'm wanting to drop the Water pill so bad!!!! All this peeing is driving me crazy!!! When I mentioned the stress I've been under that is only just the tip of the iceburg! My whole life has been stressful from birth!

Nina

;)

Nina,

I'm a good cook too and have a hard time resisting my own meals. I love Pasta tooooo much.

NINA

On Dec.4th I go to Mexico for my 2ed fill. The doc emailed me to be sure and bring my food & exersize journal with!!! Yikes, :eek:I hadn't been doing it. So I started keeping the journal about 4 days ago so I have something to bring. It's hard to do but keeps me focused on the eating thing.

A pedomiter is a great idea.

Too bad about the stress. Hope it lets up for you

Drinks - Lite beer (12 oz) or 4 oz wine = 100 calories

4 oz champane 86 calories

Holiday coffee Gingerbread Latte made with skim milk and no whip cream -200 c

Candie yams with brown sugar marshemallw or pecans 500 C vs Mash potatoes 240 - 300 depending on how made- (make with skim milk and just a tad of butter - increases the protien and cut the calories)

Gravey vs Cranberry Sause - choose gravey 80 c per 1/2 cup compared to 180 for the same serving of cranberry sause

Ham vs turkey vs prime rib

Turkey -skinless white 193 c per 5 oz dark 260 c

ham 5 oz 340 c

Prime rib 400

Pumkin vs apple vs pecan

Pumkin 270 c per slice (make with splenda and cut the calories)

Apple 370 c per slice

Pecan 700 per slice

:hungry:Dinner - skip the drink - I rather eat

120 1/2 cup potatoes - 155 4 oz Turkey - 40 1/4 cup Gravy - 25 veggies - Stuffing 1/4 cup 60 c = 400 calories

1/2 slice of pumpkin pie Pie 135

Ok gang just gave you Thanksgiving dinner for 535 calories

and those with restriction most likely couldn't eat all of that food

and if you made the food - like tatos and pie you could reduce the calories futher ...

See it can be done without breaking the bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I have not posted lately, I'm still waiting for Medicare to approve the CMMC hospital in Jackson, MS. I'm going to a Lapband support group on Dec. 11th. My 1st. one at this hospital, maybe I'll find out something than.

Glad to hear other people are doing good. I'll make it yet.

Don

Hi everyone, I'm in bandsters hell now. Haven't had a fill yet and so hungery all the time. Last night I had a lot of discomfort on my upper right side that got me really worried. I took some gasx and it's pretty muchy gone now. Otherwise I've been fine. All healed up nicely. I'm so glad I don't have diabetes or incontinence. Just a lot of pain in my knees (which have been replaced already) and feet. And high BP. It's almost impossible to exercise if it's on my feet. Hope everyone is feeling well today. Sharon