Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

;)phyllser

Thanks. I still need to sleep a lot and have gas pains. But that is minor compared to what I will be getting from this surgery down the road. Been living off of Jello, broth and fruit cycles. Just had my first food with milk in it (powdered milk in Protein shake). Feel a little pain from it. Haven't had any hunger pains since surgery.

Sounds like you're right on target. I had my first fill last Monday and things are going very well. Able to eat like one small piece of pizza, one egg and a spoonful of potatoes for breakfsat this morning & a little shaved ham. Tried 1/2 sandwich and a cup of Soup yesterday at one of our favorite lunch places.. hadn't been there in at least a year. I managed to eat the insides of the 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 of the cup of soup before I was full. DH is gaining weight eating my leftovers!

Uh, there should've been a period after the word pizza in that last post! That was dinner last night and then I had another piece for lunch today, thin crust, VERY thin, and a few veggies, Italian sausage. NO greasy pepperoni and not too much cheese. It was my first since surgery. I don't eat pizza very often, just when DH can't stand it anymore and HAS to have some!

:pizza:

Hi again,

Glad to hear from someone that just had it done & someone that had it done a short time ago. It's a general idea what to exspect in the future.

As I mentioned yesterday, my 1st. Dr. appt. is Sept. 24th. Very excited to get the process started.

Interesting about your Hubby gaining while you lose. Keep an eye on him, don't let him gain too much. :heh:

Keep on posting your progress & I will also to see how each of us are doing and incourage each other.

Good luck,

Don

phyllser

So you waited almost 2 months for your first fill. I need to make an advance plane ticket for mine. Just don't know when to figure it is time.

Skinnydip

I'm in the can't eat much of nothing with gas pains and a hard belly that looks like I am about to download twins, and I would still do it all over again. Feels so good not to have hunger pains.

BTW my DH is almost 6 foot tall and weights about 165. Seems that he can eat anything and not gain. It's going to be fun giving him my leftovers and hopefully watch him put on a few pounds. He really could use a few as I think he is too thin.

Don,

I've been on Medicare for 5 years (disability). They paid for my surgery and from what my doctor's office told me, very easy to get approval. They don't require psych consult or documented previous weight loss attempts. I was told that they won't pay for the initial dietary consult my doctor required, but so far I've not been billed for that either!

As for spouse's weight loss.... mine isn't losing with me because he eats everything I can't eat! If we go out to eat, he eats his meal and then finishes mine so his little pot belly is growing! I think he's gained 10 lb. while I've lost my 36!!

:omg:

lol phyl - well thats what he gets for trying to control your eating

maybe you need to bring that to his attention :) - I guess you can see why i'm not married :D - i am such a witch...;)

Hi everyone I made it back. It went great and I'm part of the 'band club' now.:clap2:

;)

INDIGO GIRL

NICNACNUT

KAT

CONGRATULATIONS NMSunshire :clap2: I am so glad to see you post and you are home and doing ok - considering you just had surgery ...

As each day passes you will feel better - i'm 2 months out as of tomorrow I feel great.... It's only the first few days that are bad.

Rest up - get your protien in - and you will do great -

:welcomeB: to band land

Talk to you soon

xoxox

Janet

Hey, I was 63 on July 21st. Had my wonderful band on January 19th. It is the best thing I have ever done . I have lost 59 lbs as of 2 wks ago. There have been NO down sides and only positives things. This is the very first time I have ever responded to anyone but was excited to have an opportunity to say "you go girl". You are so right about 60''s sounding old to some but we got lots to live for and this surgery will give us even more years. I no longer stake any insulin (was taking 4 shots daily) and no stomach medicine. This can only be a win-win for you. Congratulations honey. You just get that surgery and you won't look back, except to wish you had done it sooner. Ladybug

Claramae

Thanks. It feels so good to get to this stage where the anxiety of surgery is past me.

Ladybug

WOW 59 pounds. Can't imagine how good it must feel to lose a 59pd burden. I just weighed myself and the scale is dropping. My abdomen is still full of fluids from surgery, I'll bet that is a couple pounds in itself.

On another thread, someone said their doctors age stop is 59 or 60. After that he won't do the surgery. I can't for the life of me figure out why?

NM Sunshine..... I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well for you and no complications... Sounds like you are doing well and just have the normal post surgery problems.... From what I have read, you need to walk alot to get rid of the gas and unfortunately it takes awhile for your tummy to lose the swelling and hardness...

Good luck on your new journey into bandland... Please keep us posted on your progress....

Hi - I'm almost 62 - in November. I had my lapband in May. I've lost 53 pounds and it's amazing how much better I feel and how much more energy I have. I'm a diabetic and my insulin has been cut from 55 units twice a day to 25 units twice a day. I almost feel human again. Another 50 or so pounds and maybe I will.

I highly suggest the band for older people.

NICNAC thanks so. The walking does help. But I need to walk where there is no one around heheh. I am so happy I did this.

2Bthin 53 pounds. WOW You did that in a little over 4 months right?

I just cannot understand why many American doctors have a cut off age of 60. Surely we can get heart surgery and such after the age of 60. Getting banded is MUCH less stressful than heart surgery.

It's in our 60's that we tend to put on the dangerous belly fat and all the other morbititys like diabetes, hypertension, clogged arteries so on.:angry

Aloha Hopefull

I refuse to use that other name.. I'm 50 and a Man and my weight loss is going great. I'm very thankful my Dear Sweet Wife has the band also and we go to the gym together it really worksout for us (no pun intented) we do our meals together and give a lot of support to each other. Being older it can be hard but I know you can do it. If you have any more questions please just post it and well reply. Take care and good luck, getting the band was 2nd. best thing I've done in my life #1 Marrying my Wife

Aloha

BWD