Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

:clap2:Hey, Fat Attack---I hate to call u that. My name is Clara. I will be 59 this October. I have been tossing lap band around and around for some time. After much research and thought and prayer, my date is August 27. I do feel like the "old lady" here. There are a few of us.

I have had left knee replacement; my right hip replaced----3 times before they got it right and my hip surgerys were all within 18 months---all 3 of them. I know about aches and pains. I am also diabetic.

My doctor said he usually uses the age of 55 as his cut off. Thank he is making an exception with me. I am also a self pay ;). If you have any questions, this is the best place to get the answers. These people are terrific. Let me know if there is anything you need.

Clara, can you tell me what the weight range is for knee and hip replacement? My right hip is killing me and my knees are shot. I have been waiting to loose more weight before I see an ortho. man. I wonder what your experience was like/ It's scarey to see "three times before they got it right" Thank you so much!

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd add a post to see how everyone is doing. It's really comforting to know there are other 60+s out there. I think we may have different issues than the younger people. I also think it is harder, much harder for us to lose weight. I could lose real fast when i was younger, but these days I fight for every pound loss, even with the band. I had my first fill a week & 1/2 ago and don't feel restriction. I've lost a couple of pounds but have remained the same for the last 5 days.

Anyone with similair experience?

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd add a post to see how everyone is doing. It's really comforting to know there are other 60+s out there. I think we may have different issues than the younger people. I also think it is harder, much harder for us to lose weight. I could lose real fast when i was younger, but these days I fight for every pound loss, even with the band. I had my first fill a week & 1/2 ago and don't feel restriction. I've lost a couple of pounds but have remained the same for the last 5 days.

Anyone with similair experience?

Hi,

My weight loss is so sporadic! It's frustrating! I had my 3rd fill last Monday and it's almost like I had more restriction after the 2nd than I do since the 3rd.. which of course makes no sense. I had 3cc in there and they put in 1cc more. After the 2nd fill I lost 10 lb. in 12 days. Then I gained three back and I've been playing with those 3 lb for the last two weeks. I thought after my fill on Monday I'd start losing again. Of course, we're on the road in our RV now and that's more of a challenge, and I retain Water on the days when I'm just sitting in the RV riding all day. But, I also don't eat as well as I do at home. Like yesterday I had a can of chicken/rice Soup for lunch. Not enough Protein, too many carbs, too much sodium. Got to my sister's in the afternoon & we all went out for Mexican. I had a seafood Chimichanga type thing and just ate some of the insides, but also some of the rice and Beans and 4-5 chips w/salsa. So, not too bad. But I also had access to Cookies yesterday and ate about 3 small chocolate chip cookies over the course of the day after not one whole cookie in 4 months! So, no more sweets and I must be more diligent about my food choices even though we are away from home because it's going to be a LOOOONNNGGG winter!!

Hi Ya'll,

As you might know, I have already seen the Doc at River Oaks Hospital; have seen the shrink and was hoping to have it done at this hospital because it's closer.

BUT............

I just called up the first hospital Central Mississippi Medical Center (CMMC) that I went to for their seminar today and talked to them again. (I went to their Seminar about three months ago). I need my health Ins. (Federal BC/BS) & Medicare to approve it. Medicare has to approve that the hospital can do it and has done a minimum number of these type of surgeries. I just found out that River Oaks approval will take another year to year and one-half to get approved from the little bit I know about this stuff.

CMMC has been approved for the number of surgery's; has just had their "WALK THRU" as part of the approval process. SO............ the lady said that Medicare might approve them in the next 3-4 weeks. They will call me when they do.

I wanted to go have it done at River Oaks because it's closer, but will go to CMMC if it happens. It's not much farther so it will be just fine.

Don

PHYL

:hungry: me most of the time. I know what it is like while RVing. It's the hardest time to stick to a diet. Also hard to get some excersize in. Guess thing to do is when you pull in for the night is grab hubby and take a walk. We had an older class C that we sold and bought something smaller. It's a new Class B 23 ft Airstream Van. Has everything, bath shower so on, but it is much smaller than the one we had before. I like the spaciousness of the other one but it was getting 8 miles to the gallon while the new one gets 25 MPG!!!

Anyway, before DH didn't want to take trips cause of the cost of gas. Now he wants to take them all the time. He has two set up for Nov. I'm not excited about going as it makes it harder to lose while on the road. And the resturant food is difficult.

I think we should be eating low glycemic food and high Protein with low carbos. That stops the cravings.

PHYL forgot to say that is odd how it is that you felt more restraint on the 2ed fill than the 3rd. I thought the 3rd was the magic number... the fill that is suppose to really work.

But you have lost a lot of weight and those bands get looser the more you lose. Perhaps that is what is going on?

SKINNYDIP

I'd say definately go to the other hospital. A year to 1&1/2 years is just way too long at our age. I think fat is much more damaging to us over 60's. I'm thinking heart attacks, hypertension so on. It has a major effect on how many years we live. Had read somewhere that you live 40% longer with the band than you would without.

I've been observing that everyone I see over 80 seems to be real slim.

Packing on a few extra quality years sounds good to me.

Good luck on your journey.

Hi Ya'll,

Just went to the latest CMMC Bariatric Seminar (11-15-07). I went to one about 3 mos. ago. This one seemed to be more informative. My wife went with me this time. We both were more excited with CMMC's program. They seem to be very commited to this program and the before & after surgery commitments to their patients.

Medicare should be giving the hospital the OK in the next few weeks. it's getting closer. :bored

I just baught the book "Before & After-living and eating well after weight loss surgery" by Susan Maria Leach. Just started reading it, it seems to be a very good informative book of her surgery with many helpful before & after surgery recipes. Also with many Q&A's, etc.; etc..

That's it for now, Don

I was banded on 8/16/07 and have only lost 12 lbs. have had 3 fills. I am on a insulin pump and wonder if this is the problem. Has any one else been banded that is on insulin pump? also I was 62 when banded and am 63 now. I walk and do exercise tapes as well as some strength training at home.

Ilove

I do have a similair problem. I was banded 9/11/07 and had one fill on Oct. 25. I have only lost 10 pounds since banding. My weight seems stuck. I'm not diabetic. but have just went through a bunch of testing to see why my bloodtests are abnormal. One is a 24 hr. urine test. Diabetes could be the problem.

Perhaps if you started a new thread that says 'Anyone on insulin pump?' You may could get some replys and find out if that is your problem.

This is Skinnydippen's wife. I've been on here before and even logged in as Yayaflower lady and also as Nina flowerlady. Now I can't even get on and I have both the correct usser names and paswords. It still is invalid. This is the only way now I can post!

Nina

I think I'm the oldest one on the board. I turned 67 in Aug. Got banded in Oct and haven't had a fill yet. 've lost 12# but none in past week and don't expect I will next week with the holiday coming up. Sharon:cry

Thanks for the help good idea about post for people on insulin pump. Do you feel like you follow the diet correctly. I know that I eat less but I have always been fairly health conscious. Do you exercise?