Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

Hello everyone

I'm 52 and every year for the last 5 years I seem to be gaining 10 lbs per year I can't take this anymore, I cannot afford to have my surgery in the US so I'm looking in to a couple of places in Mexcico, I'm very afraid about having it done in a foreign country but I have no other choice the surgery cost here in the US is way out of my budget :o

Jesse

Dr. Gonzales is the best. Everyone who goes to him is happy with his team. He makes it so simple and you don't feel like you are in a foreign country. You fly to San Diago and Laura is there waiting for you. She drives you to your hotel. Later she takes you to the clinic to meet Dr. Gonzales and the nutricionist (who is an MD).....The after care is wonderful.

Cost is 7,500.

I'll find the thread and you can read what people have to say.

I too was scared of the idea of surgery in a foreign country. I did my research, and chose a Dr. based upon that. I had friends before me and since me use the same Dr....but for me to be comfortable, I had to know it for myself, not just take their word.

There are medical liasons you can use that are not affiliated with any particular surgeons....they help set up your travel, your surgery, in a choice of several countries, and then follow up care for when you get home. I personally did the research myself, and the Dr.'s team helped me to set up aftercare closer to me, and also aftercare very local in the event of an emergency unfill being needed.

There are good Dr.'s and bad in the USA and in any other country you can go to....just learn all you can, and ask lots of questions, speak to former patients---several of them.

It can be a positive experience, mine was awesome! Just be sure to look into it VERY well, so you can go in with confidence!

Good Luck---I know exactly where you are at, and how you are feeling!!!

Kat

Jesse

Dr. Gonzales is the best. Everyone who goes to him is happy with his team. He makes it so simple and you don't feel like you are in a foreign country. You fly to San Diago and Laura is there waiting for you. She drives you to your hotel. Later she takes you to the clinic to meet Dr. Gonzales and the nutricionist (who is an MD).....The after care is wonderful.

Cost is 7,500.

I'll find the thread and you can read what people have to say.

I did call them and they were very nice and patient with me, *(I had many questions ) thank you very much for your advise this is very important for me and my future and it´s nice to hear nice things from someone that already went trough this. thanks xoxoxo

Wow - I'm 61 and just beginning my search into Lap Banding - my knees are giving out and they won't consider surgery until I lose over 100 pounds. I hadn't heard there was a cut-off age, I guess it makes sense, but being already 61 its scary to realize I'm near the end of the eligible period. Especially since I'm hearing that it can take a long time to go through the processing and actually get to the starting point!

Wow - I'm 61 and just beginning my search into Lap Banding - my knees are giving out and they won't consider surgery until I lose over 100 pounds. I hadn't heard there was a cut-off age, I guess it makes sense, but being already 61 its scary to realize I'm near the end of the eligible period. Especially since I'm hearing that it can take a long time to go through the processing and actually get to the starting point!

:welcomeB:

Yes, I was nearing that cut off age, too, and getting desparate to get rid of this excess weight. I have similar problems with my knees, in fact, I use an electric scooter much of the time. I've had a partial replacement on the right knee and the left knee is badly in need, as well. I had my surgery July 20th and I'm down over 40 lb.

Welcome to this site.

I checked out two different doctors and hospitals for lap band surgery and found no restrictions as to age. I turned 66 this past Friday and will be having surgery on December 6. I too have bad knees and have been using a scooter for 2 years. I have already dropped 64 pounds by dieting since February - aggressively since June 1 on Optifast. As you can see I have a long way to go yet. I am very thankful that I am healthy and have no chronic disease problems.

I checked out two different doctors and hospitals for lap band surgery and found no restrictions as to age. I turned 66 this past Friday and will be having surgery on December 6. I too have bad knees and have been using a scooter for 2 years. I have already dropped 64 pounds by dieting since February - aggressively since June 1 on Optifast. As you can see I have a long way to go yet. I am very thankful that I am healthy and have no chronic disease problems.

Congrats on your surgery date and you current weight loss - with this determination and the band imho you will do excellent....

Wow! You're doing great with your pre-op loss.

I think some have posted on these threads that certain doctors and/or insurance companies have age restrictions, such as none over 60, others 65, and some have restrictions as to BMI. My doctor was very reluctant to do surgery if BMI was over 60. Then, coupled with my age, I was on shaky ground with him. But then I got my BMI down to under 60 prior to surgery and he was much more comfortable with the risk factors. I have heard of people in their 70's having this surgery, though.

The doctor said he would do surger with up to 60 BMI. As you can see mine was much higher and I got it under before I ever went for my first appointment. I am going to try to get it as low as I can before surgery.

I have 1 1/2 weeks to go to totally transition from liquid Optifast to real food. I have continued to lose weight in the process. I ate 3 meals a day last week plus 2 liquid Snacks and still lost 2 pounds. This week I dropped one shake and replaced the snack with a milk exchange - in my case yogurt.

Hi Ya'll,

Just had my 1st setback. :cry

I have been trying to have my LapBand done at River Oaks Hospital but found out they have not been aproved "YET" by Medicare for Medicare to pay for it. I can't afford it if that is not done . It should be approved but no telling when.

I went to a semanar at CMMC 3-4 months ago and they were in the process to be approved by Medicare for Medicare to pay for it. I'm going to check with them soon to see how it's going there.

Other than that, "I'm ready".

Glad to see another person here on the MS thread.

Don

Hi Ya'll,

Just had my 1st setback. :cry

I have been trying to have my LapBand done at River Oaks Hospital but found out they have not been aproved "YET" by Medicare for Medicare to pay for it. I can't afford it if that is not done . It should be approved but no telling when.

I went to a semanar at CMMC 3-4 months ago and they were in the process to be approved by Medicare for Medicare to pay for it. I'm going to check with them soon to see how it's going there.

Other than that, "I'm ready".

Glad to see another person here on the MS thread.

Don

Sorry to hear about your setback, Don. It's a real struggle trying to find the right combination of doctor/facility to meet Medicare's mandates. That's why I'm driving 60+ miles to my doctor appointments! One doctor wanted to put me on a waiting list... 3 years! I don't think so! Then... here's the kick... after I did everything right, Medicare rejected the hospital claim, $17K+. I talked to them this week about why and they said the hospital coded the claim for an automatic reject. So then I called the hospital and told them that Medicare said to change the code and resubmit the claim. You know what they told me?? That's okay. We already "adjusted" your bill and you have no balance. So Medicare was willing to pay but the hospital didn't want to be bothered so they wrote it off! Go figure! My secondary paid $527 and that's all they got!

Welcome to the over 60 FatAttack,

I was banded in Jun 07 and I am 60. I have lost 26lbs and have had three fills. I am slowing down on my weight lost now, but am working to keep it off and continue to lose. Good Luck on your surgery and keep in touch.

Hi there...I am 60 and just beginning my search for info on lapband surgery. At this point in time I am leaning toward going with Beliteweight scheduling me in Mexico...I am still a little scared though but I see that I have so many health problems due to overweight...yup...like you I wanna live until I die!