Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

NICNATNUT

That is a sad story. I have a friend whose Harley was hit by a school bus and he is now minus one leg.

Kat817

Have you heard of the Silver City ‘Blues Festival”? Bikers from all over come. I live in Silver City.

Howdy, :)

Don Here (skinnydippn42) This is my 1st. time here, just found this forum yesterday 8-26-07.

I seen the ad on TV and did a search for lap-band, found the Lap-band.com site. Found this site from a friend of my wifes.

I went to a seminar on 8-23-07 at the CMMC hospital in Jackson, MS. I live in Puckett, MS. about 30 miles away. Very imformative meeting.

I turn 65 yrs. old on Sept 1st. I'm waiting for an O.K. from Midicare. With Midicare and my other Health Ins., it should pay for 95% or more of the Banding. I'm looking forward to when I can have it done. I have read a lot about it & am very incourged this is the right thing to do. I have been fighting being over weight for 20 plus years. Weigh 260 lbs right now and need to get down to about 145-150 lbs. I'm about 5'-5.5".

Welcome Don! I have an Uncle in Starkville MS. He is a Dr. there, and was totally supportive of my being banded! Cited me stats on even with the risks inherant to WLS in general, how it is still less risky than diabetes, and hypertension. I valued his opinion, so it went a ways to giving me peace of mind with my decision, which I now recognize as one of the best decisions I ever made!!! You will love your band I predict!!! Hang out, look through the site, you will find lots of support---and answers to most questions! Good Luck on your approval.

Your name makes me laugh---I have a little sign hanging in my bathroom, that says "I don't Skinny Dip anymore---now I Chunky Dunk".....I am gonna be back to Skinny Dipping, and "chunk" the sign soon!!!

Sunshine, I had not heard of your Blues Festival----when is it? We are always on the lookout for reasonable trips to take!!!

I am sorry for your friends accident. We know a rider here in Aztec, who was on his bike, and was hit by a cop who run through a light, in responding to a call, but without any emergency equipment running. He too lost his leg, and has been in court battling the city of Farmington over it for the last 3-4 years. The last time he was in court, he had managed to learn to negotiate life on his prosthetic leg, and they actually tried to minimalize his loss, saying he is obviously getting around...why should the original huge amount be paid...yadda, yadda, yadda. The jury originally awarded him an amount the city is refusing to pay, saying they have a ceiling on damage payments, so it is in appeals.

I fully understand bikes are harder to see than cars, I do not uphold the bumper stickers that state "Kill a biker, go to jail". Accidents happen, I accept that, and I take those chances---but negligence...such as in this case, should be punished---even if it is simply in financial ways I believe.

We have a Blues Fest here as well, it is new, only been the 2nd year, but it is going strong, will be back next year. In fact my DH volunteered to help with it, so he would likely be very interested in the one your city has. Can you find out some dates for me?

Thanks!!!!

Kat

skinnydippn42

Hi and welcome. I had never heard of the LapBand until several weeks ago. I did research on it and found this forum. Now I have a date to get mine done on Sept 11. This forum is loaded with information. Check out the thread on doctors and hospitals. Gives you a good idea of the good and not so good.

Kat817 Sorry to hear about your friend. Mine still uses crutches.

The Blues Fest here is in May, Memorial day weekend I believe. It lasts for 2 days. It is free. The first day is mostly blues rock and the second day more blues & folk. We have at least one big name each year. This year was Odetta. So many bikers come that a whole street is blocked off just for the bikes, seem to be almost all Harleys. The fest is a really big deal here.

My DH has a Harley he rides to and from work, but when we travel together on the bike, we have a fully dressed Goldwing, with a matching pull trailer! It is like having my own lazyboy in the back!!! I have my arm rests, adjustable floor boards, drink holders, my own que on the ipod, intercom with DH, and another bike if we choose, we have a mister system. When we camp, we have a large tent, and a double high queen size air mattress. We have chairs, stoves, you name it! We enjoy the getting away---but I see no need in roughing it too much!!

DH is wanting to buy me a Sportster of my own. I actually found an old Springer I wanted, but the weight of the front end, made me feel like I was not at the level of control I wanted---dammit---I REALLY liked the bike!

Til then, I sit back, and even nap when the mood strikes, and let him drive me!!!

There are sooo many rallies, and things going on over Memorial Day weekend. We do go to Red River, we have also gone to the Goldwing rally in Utah, and to the big hogfest in Denver---I think it is that weekend. Then there is the one I think it is in Salida, maybe Del Norte....all at the same time!

Our Blues Festival is the 1st or 2nd weekend in July---2nd I think, I just remember this year it was 7/7/07. They are actually drawing pretty big names as well---we enjoyed it, but are really dissappointed in our local newspaper, both years they have reported on it, but create their headlines, and the lead ins to indicate it was all older people, that the young crowd didn't show up. I realize I fall into that and don't have issue with it, I earned these years---and I like the music, but there are generations of families there, they just seem like they are trying to put it down. Then again the newspaper comes out of a neighboring town (Farmington) and the small town competition thing is alive and well here!!!

Thanks for the info!

Kat

Kat

That Goldwing soounds like the cat's meow. Fun. My ex and his new wife are really into the Harely thing. They're quite arrogent about it. My boyfriend (I call him my DH) use to own a Goldwing. He took many great trips with it and loved it.

If you ever come to the Festival here, there is camping all over the Gila. We may be able to put you up.

I'm completely amazed that you have your BMI down to 27.6.

Hey all you bikers out there ----ever been to Sturgis, SD Home of the bike ralley? I am about 250 miles from there and we have so many bikers every year - what a sight to see. I do not ride but I sure enjoy seeing the bikes and bikers.

We didn't make it this year, my DH has had a year full of health issues...but will be next year!!! We have been in the past...last time being 2004. We will be making our reservations in January.

Crazy place to be----we usually go with a fair sized group from here, try to reserve our spots together, and have a truck trailer travelling with us...and every year it seems someone has broke down and had to use the trailer!!! Always fun though!!

We love our Wing! It is comfy, it is beautiful....and with our trailer, we can carry most all of the camping equipment without a problem--so I don't mind camping!! We have begun utilizing actual campgrounds more this last couple of years, I don't think we can outrun bears anymore!!!! I jokingly tell my friends husband, who is not heavy---but he is SOOOOOO out of shape---that I don't have to outrun a bear, I only have to outrun HIM!!!!

It is easier to have a lower BMI, even at my weight, because I am 5'9"!!! I posted my latest pics on the before & after thread....last I told someone yesterday they were on page 53 I think. They delete comments every few days so where they are changes! I keep waiting for my befores to end up the butt of some internet joke!!!

Kat

Hi KAt...funny you mention Lubbock.. I was born and lived first 21 yrs there. Been in Colorado though longer than TX..lol..33yrs. I go back to Lubbock once a year to see friends and relatives. I agree with what you said..what an adventure! I was banded in April of 2003 so it has been a long time for me..Lost 95 lbs and ahve kept it off for over 2 yrs..give or take 5 lbs...This is absolutely the best thign i ever done for ME!..i wish everyone much luck and good health!

deb

Kat

I'm 5' tall. I was 5'2" years ago,but, three collapsed disks in my lower back sort of shrunk me. I'd love to be tall. Will settle with being thin again instead. My goal weight should be around 105. I have about 83 pds to lose.

LOL on outrunning friends hubby.

I'll try to find that before/after thread

Deb, my best friend is from Lubbock, and her entire family is still there. We use Lubbock as the half way point to our place in TX. Often we drop her there, go on to our place, and pick her up on our way back, or pick up her Mom to come visit, or return her following a visit. We hit the loop and go off towards Slaton/Post--to head on to central Tx to our place.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hearing about long term bandsters who have no issues, and have maintained weight loss!!! Congrats!!! And thanks so much for the inspiration to do the same!

I was surprised to find I hadn't shrunk, I felt like surely I had, that all that weight had drug me downward---but seems I am as tall as ever! My former MIL was barely 5 foot, and she was always calling me to get something from an upper shelf, in a house obviously built for someone my height!!! One day after asking for 2-3 different things be reached for her, she told me "Honey next time you drop something, you call me!" I need her now, lately I am a total clutz, I drop everything, it is getting to the point, I am going to pick it up, throw it down and get it over with, so I can get on with things!!!

I bet the weight loss helps your back. I have a herniation of L-4, L-5, at an S-1 station....and have not had my back go out in almost a year now!!! Weight loss has helped all my joints....lol, imagine that the Dr.'s were right all these years!!!!

Kat

I've just begun my Quest into banding. They say the break-off age point is 65. I'm almost 63 and need to move fast. Us 'oldies' want to live and know that the excess fat will shorten our lives. I've been checking all the treads and everyone is below 50. But us 'grannies' have our own unique problems. And we face the potential of death from fat. 63 may sound old, but I want to live as much as I did in my 30's. I want to think of death as something that hits during the 90's.

:rolleyes:

Good Luck. U should really get the ball rolling as soon as possible. YOU NEED six months documented before you get approved, unless you are self paying.

MissNilsa

Thank you for the encouragement. I did get the ball rolling. I decided to be self pay. I'm due to be banded on Sept 11 by Dr Gonzales in TJ Mexico.