Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO, any oldies out there? I'm almost 63 and want to live.

I've just begun my Quest into banding. They say the break-off age point is 65. I'm almost 63 and need to move fast. Us 'oldies' want to live and know that the excess fat will shorten our lives. I've been checking all the treads and everyone is below 50. But us 'grannies' have our own unique problems. And we face the potential of death from fat. 63 may sound old, but I want to live as much as I did in my 30's. I want to think of death as something that hits during the 90's.

;)

:welcome2: Fat Attack!

Have you checked out the "How is Weight Loss over Fifty?" thread under General Lap Band Discussion? I'll be 57 in 3 weeks and there are others 60 and older.

I had a very easy surgery and recovery, but my weight loss feels a little slow because I can't exercise much due to knee and back problems. For the first time I'm considering having knee replacement surgery after I've lost more weight. It is great to have a more positive outlook and a sense of future!

My program materials state that candidates for lap-band must be under 60, but they don't enforce it. In fact, they have revised some of their guidelines as a result of published research which simplifies the process.

I'm guessing that age restrictions will be eliminated because us older folks are usually all about saving our lives and are therefore very motivated.

Good luck with approval. You absolutely will have no regrets!

:clap2:Hey, Fat Attack---I hate to call u that. My name is Clara. I will be 59 this October. I have been tossing lap band around and around for some time. After much research and thought and prayer, my date is August 27. I do feel like the "old lady" here. There are a few of us.

I have had left knee replacement; my right hip replaced----3 times before they got it right and my hip surgerys were all within 18 months---all 3 of them. I know about aches and pains. I am also diabetic.

My doctor said he usually uses the age of 55 as his cut off. Thank he is making an exception with me. I am also a self pay ;). If you have any questions, this is the best place to get the answers. These people are terrific. Let me know if there is anything you need.

Hi Fat Attack... Welcome and Congratulations on your desire to get banded and take care of your health no matter how old you are... :clap2:

I am 59 1/2 and will be banded on October 16th.. I am so looking forward to it.. There are quite a few of us 'oldies' around and you are right we do have issues different than the younguns...;)

I have joined the thread "How is weight loss over 50" and it is a fun group of people... It is under the General Discussion heading.. Hope you can find it and join us..

Do you have your Dr. selected yet or are you waiting on insurance before you make your decision? If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask, this is the best place to get answers.

Good Luck and Good Health to you.. :lol:

Hi!

I will be 61 in 12 days and also am starting my LapBand journey too. I am just in the preliminary paperwork process. I have the support of my husband and kids. We have six grandkids and I would love to see them all grow up. My mom died at age 70 following a brain anyuerism. She struggled with her weight her whole life. I see that I am heading the same way. Every pill I take could probably be eliminated if I could just loose the weight and keep it off!

Good Luck in your quest!

Yes, Boomer, I see myself going down the same path my mother went. She died at the age of 66 brought on my a massive stroke. She was diabetic, as I am. I want to see my grand kids grow up too. Good luck.

Hi FA! (FatAttack, I don't want to call you that.)

I'm am younger than you, but please don't call yourself old! I work in a hospital, and see many women around you age having lapband or gastric bypass surgery. I am so proud of you! Hang in there.

Carolyn

Claramae... You can find the thread "How is weight loss for people over 50" by going to the home page and scroll down until you find the heading or link that says "General Lap-Band Discussion". Click on that link and scroll down until you see the 'How is weight loss for people over 50'. Looking forward to seeing you soon..

Boomer, Please come join us as well....

Hi all...I am 55 an dhad the surgery when I was 51...was the best thing I ahve ever done! FA...you may find those knees dont bother you as much after the weight starts coming off...I have been at goal for 2yrs..wowwwwww...It feels wonderful to be able to maintain..give or take 5 lbs!! Good luck and May God Bless!

deb

Wow Deb, that is wonderful that you have been able to stay at your goal weight for 2 years... It gives us new ones encouragement to keep going... Do you have any advice you can pass along to us, like what foods worked best for you or how much exercise did you do each day...

It's great to hear from people like you that have "Been There Done That"... Thanks for posting...

Hi--just joined. I am 59 and made a quickie decision to go for it. I will have surgery in Mexico in less than 3 weeks. 59 looks old on paper, but I only feel old because I am overweight which is keeping me from doing all sorts of things--tennis (more because I can't fit into any outfits than because I am unable to play) skiing (same reason as previously mentioned) visiting old friends who would be shocked to see me, going places with my husband. Leaving my house...etc, etc. Didn't want to hit the big 6-0 and continue life as usual. Have not been a great dieter, but find that just knowing I am doing the surgery has made me stick to my current diet. At 63, you will have many years ahead--why not make them "new life" years?

Hi...I had my lap band surgery May 28 of this year and have lost 40 some pounds. I am 5'7" and just turned 62. My knees really do feel better. I have about 30 more pounds to go. Good luck to you!

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies. First I think I should see if I can change my handle. FatAttack sounds like I am just using will power and maybe a little self-hate to go on another diet. But this is different. This is a new life. How about NewMe or 4Life. If I have to I will just register as a new person and have ‘former FatAttack’ under handle.

This is so exciting to hear from people closer to my age. The older we get the more precious life becomes. And the more important our physical health is.

Serena, Claremae. Congradulations on your weight loss.

Nicnaknut, I just discovered the LapBand solution two weeks ago and got my doc’s approval last week. He told me to keep researching and he will do whatever he can to get my insurance to approve. I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just self pay for a doc in Mexico rather than wait forever for insurance.

Boomer46, I take a lot of pills and I think possibly 7 of them could be eliminated if I lost the weight.

Callollin, what you said is really encouraging. Oh, and going to try and fix that handle.

Liz Bennet, Hi and good luck.

FatAttack - Welcome :biggrin1:

Click this link http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/how-weight-loss-people-over-50-a-21117-new/ and it will take to you to the 50+ thread - post there and you will be subscribed and then it will be in your usercp thread subscriptions...

This is my fav thread on this board as I agree people over 50 have diff issues than the 20 30 & even 40 yr olds. Heck the 50's is the new 30's so the 60's are the new 40's. Age is just a number anyway - we aren't our Mother's 50 or 60 - we are younger. My best gf is 60.. and we still think we are youngesters,..

I was banded as I want to live a few more yrs and staying fat was going to cut those yrs by what i don't know - but for sure where going to reduce my life expectancy... At our age - we know that tomorrow isn't promised and we want to live our lives to the fullest which is HARD to do when you are carrying around tons of extra weight.

Good luck to you on your jounery to be banded. Read all you can and ask tons of questions. You will be well educated on this board..

Blessing to you